Escape 5.0 and 5'6" Truck Bed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2021, 02:25 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Escape 5.0 and 5'6" Truck Bed

Hello.
I have 2013 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 with 5 1/2 box size. I am looking into getting Escape 5.0 fifth wheel and I was wondering if there are any issues with that bed size and Escape 5.0 . Any suggestions and recommendations? Any users with the same specs and Escape 5.0. My engine 3.5L EcoBoost. Dimensions and other specs attached.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
F150 Dimentions.jpg   F150 Max Payload.jpg   F150 Max Towing.jpg  
TomL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have a 5'6" bed F150 2.7 and a 5.0 i am very happy with the combo. i wanted the full size interior so to keep the length down i had to go with the short bed. Only issue we have had is when we are backing into a space not-level and make an extreme turn 90 we can hit our truck on top by the window i have a tiny dent so when backing into extreme turns you really have to watch.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Fox Hunt....Ask for hitch types/brands as well as pictures...no need to reinvent the wheel when you start looking...
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Anderson hitch it attaches to turn over ball hitch in truck . I love it very easy to hitch and when i want a flat bed easy to remove around 35 pounds. We still have room to pack stuff in bed when hitched but we usually put lighter things in beds (chairs, campfire in a can rugs etc) to reduce weight due to pay load limitations ... i got extra pay load and larger gas tank on truck the truck is 4 wheel drive. Carry ebike on back of trailer.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Anderson hitch it attaches to turn over ball hitch in truck . I love it very easy to hitch and when i want a flat bed easy to remove around 35 pounds. We still have room to pack stuff in bed when hitched but we usually put lighter things in beds (chairs, campfire in a can rugs etc) to reduce weight due to pay load limitations ... i got extra pay load and larger gas tank on truck the truck is 4 wheel drive. Carry ebike on back of trailer.
Thanks for sharing this information.
Could you please share a photo of the ebike and the rack, attached to the rear of your 5.0 ta ?
We have switched to ebikes and and I am unsure about hanging that weight off the rear 5.0 trailer bumper.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Roadrunner" 2021 Escape 5.0
Has anyone used a Pullrite Super Glide 5th wheel hitch and if so what has been your experience? We have a crew cab F150 with the 5.5 bed and it looks like it would be a good fit.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by loessn@comcast.net View Post
Has anyone used a Pullrite Super Glide 5th wheel hitch and if so what has been your experience? We have a crew cab F150 with the 5.5 bed and it looks like it would be a good fit.
Almost no one uses any kind of sliding hitch with the Escape 5.0/5.0TA, because it is simpler to arrange the hitch components to place the pivot point far enough back for adequate trailer-to-cab clearance all the time. The five-foot-something pickups have (just) enough length for this - it's a common configuration.

If you do insist on a sliding hitch, an automatic design such as that SuperGlide is safer - no forgetting to slide it back before manoeuvering into a site, and no need to stop and get out on the road to reconfigure the rig to make a tight turn when you get stuck in an awkward place while towing.

I see Pullrite offers a SuperGlide with an extra-long travel - I would be cautious about that, because it isn't needed and it if slides back too far before turning enough the back of the pin box might hit the tailgate. With a manual slider, you risk hitting the tailgate with the pin box whenever it is slid back.

If you use an automatic sliding hitch to place the pivot point very far forward, you will likely not be able to open the truck's tailgate with the 5.0/5.0TA hitched. That's a problem, not just for access to stuff in the back of the bed, but while hitching and unhitching.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
SOMEONE out there has a bed length under 6’ that’s pulling a TA, this seems to almost be a necessary “sticky” for TA owners. A list of trucks/bed lengths/hitch combos with possibly some bed location measurements....and pictures....
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #9

For some reason both this thread and another one about towing configurations have been posted in "Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box" instead of something appropriate such as "Towing and Hitching". Could a moderator or administrator move them?
Old 01-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Roadrunner" 2021 Escape 5.0
Thank you.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by loessn@comcast.net View Post
Hi: loessen@comcast.net... We have a 16K Husky EZRoller slide hitch that's been in 3 trucks of 6' 1" or less, with both a 5.0 & a 5.0TA. We have never needed to slide it!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
almost there.jpg   hooked on you2.jpg   hooked.jpg   P1020904.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:29 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I would call TradeMasters in Chilliwack and get their opinion. They are the most knowledgeable about this and very nice.

The Andersen goose neck and offset combo is what I have and very popular. I love the connection and towing it is effortless, just don't try a 90° turn. You can get close.

Trademasters also has a custom set up they like. You can trust them.

https://www.vehiclesolutions.ca/
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:24 AM   #13

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL View Post
Hello.
I have 2013 F-150 SuperCrew FX4 with 5 1/2 box size. I am looking into getting Escape 5.0 fifth wheel and I was wondering if there are any issues with that bed size and Escape 5.0 . Any suggestions and recommendations? Any users with the same specs and Escape 5.0. My engine 3.5L EcoBoost. Dimensions and other specs attached.

Thank you
Seems to be the choice of Escape Trailers. You would think they know more than anyone.
Attached Thumbnails
E301D8E1-A3AE-4A8B-BAD6-A42A38AE2B08.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #14

Probably gonna catch some flak here, but I would be more concerned about the reliability of the truck.

Lots of people think it is a good choice. All my experiences with Ford say otherwise. They do have some good qualities. But I do question the engineering. Even thou they are not a truck anymore, my Explorers were built on a truck frame. Explorers (380,000 miles) have shown me every possible problem a truck can have.

That F150 truck is what the 5.0 was designed around, so something works.

Bring it!
Old 01-18-2021, 12:48 PM   #15

Flaktually!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Probably gonna catch some flak here, but I would be more concerned about the reliability of the truck.

Lots of people think it is a good choice. All my experiences with Ford say otherwise. They do have some good qualities. But I do question the engineering. Even thou they are not a truck anymore, my Explorers were built on a truck frame. Explorers (380,000 miles) have shown me every possible problem a truck can have.

Bring it!
Hi: UncleTim... Actually the 5.0 fifth wh. was designed around Reace's Mazda pickup of the time (2006). That in turn lead to the 5.0TA. At the outset I questioned Reace about using a Ford Ranger and his caution was to make sure it had the 4L. V6. Hence my purchase of the Nissan Fronty w/ the 4L. V6 which Reace also used. Great truck for over 160,000 kms. The upsized 5.0TA allowed for a full sized truck. Alf
Old 01-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #16

I defer to you Alf!
Old 01-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #17

Quote:
I defer to you Alf!
Hi: UncleTim... His story was always my fav subject. Her story was a close second!!! Alf
Old 01-18-2021, 04:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA, 2018 F150 2.7 EB
We have a 2018 F150 Supercab 2.7 EB, 10 sp trans with 5.5 bed. 2020 5.0 TA. We use the rail mount Anderson hitch. Very pleased with everything but we have gently touched the cab in a tight campsite. Encourage the 6.5 bed if you have a choice. Also see the gooseneck Andersen would be nice. Good luck.
LoonCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:47 AM   #19

Quote:
While the original 5.0 was designed for compact trucks, a major factor in the 2014 replacement model (the 5.0TA) was accommodating trucks which were larger (and most importantly taller), due to both a shift to full-size pickups and the escalating size of all pickups. Unfortunately, ETI has shifted to just calling the model "5.0" again, causing some confusion between the current model and the original single-axle model.