Escape 5.0 owners: What tires do you use on your truck? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
The different wheel sizes basically affect sidewall size. Total radius is about the same, but the sidewall will be smaller with a larger wheel. Generally a larger wheel and smaller sidewall means sharper handling but worse ride. No effect on power, but tire dimensions may affect load capacity some. For something the size of an Escape 5.0, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot.

I'd avoid either extreme if possible (17" may be wobblier, and 22" may be a rough ride and more prone to blowouts.) The Max Tow package comes with 20" wheels and the Heavy Duty Payload Package has 18". I'd say either is fine for your needs.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:32 PM   #62

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you very much, Defenestrator! Appreciate it!

I still have to understand the difference between the Max Tow package versus the Heavy Duty Payload Package. The configurator for the 2021 version is not out yet but the 2020 version.

I think the Heavy Duty Payload is for commercial use. I only saw two packages in the 2020 F150 configurator - (1) Max Tow, and (2) Trailer tow. The Max Tow Package seems to make most sense. It had a note: "3.55 Electronic-locking rear-axle (axle is changed to 3.73 Electronic-locking differential if ordered with Heavy-Duty Payload Pkg. (627))" but I did not see the Heavy Duty Package listed anywhere. Not sure if it is worth bothering about with E5.0.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #63

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I drive a Tundra and I really feel like this truck tracks way better than anything I have ever driven. I had no idea is was going to be this good.

18 inch Michelin LT275 65R18.
Attached Thumbnails
Tundra tire.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #64

Thanks, UncleTim! I am fairly certain that we will look across the board at the options before ordering. But, F150 is our presumptive choice.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:36 PM   #65

Max Tow is a fairly typical tow package. It bundles together various towing features like the wiring harness, brake controller, hitch receiver, larger fuel tank option, etc plus extra water and oil cooling. They're pretty easy to find and generally can be combined with other trim packages etc.

The Heavy Duty Payload Package is actually a larger frame, axle, and suspension. It basically gives you the payload of a 3/4-ton truck in an F150. These are almost impossible to find used (I tried), hard to even order new, and only compatible with certain trim levels and bed sizes etc depending on the year. I swear Ford sells something like 5 a year just so they can advertise having the option for the highest half-ton payload.

For the Escape 5.0, I think Max Tow would be what you want. HDPP is likely overkill, and just really hard to get.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Thanks, UncleTim! I am fairly certain that we will look across the board at the options before ordering. But, F150 is our presumptive choice.

Kavm, the F150 is going to be very similar to my Tundra. You will love it, it will pull the 5.0TA like a dream! Probably a similar tire strategy too.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
tire sizes are like xxx/yy-zz .... zz is the rim diameter. xxx is the tire width. IMHO, the all important number is the /yy which is the profile ratio. you want as high a /yy as possible for truck tires, ideally /70 or /75 ... the trend now is towards these really large rims with very low profile tires, like /50 or /40, these are /terrible/ offroad, and highly likely to get pinch flats, plus they have to use much higher air pressure so ride much harsher. only reason I can see they are being sold is 'they look cool' or something.

/40 tires belong on a sports car that you take to the race track to do high speed laps.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Max Tow is a fairly typical tow package. It bundles together various towing features like the wiring harness, brake controller, hitch receiver, larger fuel tank option, etc plus extra water and oil cooling. They're pretty easy to find and generally can be combined with other trim packages etc.

The Heavy Duty Payload Package is actually a larger frame, axle, and suspension. It basically gives you the payload of a 3/4-ton truck in an F150. These are almost impossible to find used (I tried), hard to even order new, and only compatible with certain trim levels and bed sizes etc depending on the year. I swear Ford sells something like 5 a year just so they can advertise having the option for the highest half-ton payload.

For the Escape 5.0, I think Max Tow would be what you want. HDPP is likely overkill, and just really hard to get.
Thanks again for this excellent explanation. I learned something new and important in this exchange! It helps a lot to have an idea of what Ford is trying to do with its million combinations E5.0 is on the upper end of our ambition in size, so we will stay with Max Tow.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
tire sizes are like xxx/yy-zz .... zz is the rim diameter. xxx is the tire width. IMHO, the all important number is the /yy which is the profile ratio. you want as high a /yy as possible for truck tires, ideally /70 or /75 ... the trend now is towards these really large rims with very low profile tires, like /50 or /40, these are /terrible/ offroad, and highly likely to get pinch flats, plus they have to use much higher air pressure so ride much harsher. only reason I can see they are being sold is 'they look cool' or something.

/40 tires belong on a sports car that you take to the race track to do high speed laps.
Thanks John! This is very helpful. I knew what the aspect ratio was but not what range to look for. Your guideline helps a lot. As we were going out this evening, all of a sudden I was interested in looking at the aspect ratio of the tires of various trucks we came across . So, will remember your information for a long time! So, many thanks!
Old 07-09-2020, 06:16 AM   #70

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post

I have the HDPP, the cons to me are the truck rides very rough, and you're limited when buying new brakes, not many 7 bolt options. In 2012 I was told the differences are the suspension, axle, brakes, wheels, and the tires. I bought it when looking at trailers, I wanted to be able to handle the biggest load I could get. It is certainly not needed with an Escape. Sure is nice if you do any hauling of dirt and the like.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #71

Thank you, padlin! This is helpful. We definitely don’t need it. The dirt we tow is unintentional
Old 03-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #72

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I've just read through this whole thread and made a decision regarding a set of tires at the local COSTCO tire shop; they quoted me for a set of 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 113T; here in Canada these are the Michelins they carry and they have a great price on them. The tires from Ford that I am replacing are Hankook Revo 3 113T which are a similarly rated tire. The sticker on my truck is shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	F150 door label 1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	54287

I think these tires should do the trick, comments?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:24 PM   #73
Site Team

In their CAR tires, the Defender line are their highest mileage tires, and also the hardest and harshest riding. For my cars, I prefer the softer Premier/Primacy lines, or even the sporty Pllot A/S, as I never put enough miles on my car any more to wear out a set before they age out, and I appreciate the quieter and smoother ride and better traction.

I'm sure those will work fine for you.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:53 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
I've just read through this whole thread and made a decision regarding a set of tires at the local COSTCO tire shop; they quoted me for a set of 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 113T; here in Canada these are the Michelins they carry and they have a great price on them. The tires from Ford that I am replacing are Hankook Revo 3 113T which are a similarly rated tire. The sticker on my truck is shown below:

Attachment 54287

I think these tires should do the trick, comments?
I think something got miscommunicated somewhere. "Revo 3" is a Bridgestone tire and not Hankook.

The Defender LTX are more highway truck tires vs the more all-terrain Revo 3s. They'll probably be quieter and have better traction on the road and a better ride, but not be as good as the Revos off-road or on snow. Both are very good, but different specialties.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:09 PM   #75

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I like my Defenders on the Highlander. A little stiffer ride than the Michelin Latitudes that came on the Highlander and went about 65,000 miles. And a little bit noisier but not really all that much. They are excellent in the snow and very good in rain. I’ll not hesitate to buy them again.
Except for the Toyo A20’s that came on the 2012 Highlander I’ve been all Michelin on my vehicles for quite a few years. They’ve been good for us. On the Escape we are running Goodyear Endurance. I’ve only pulled the Escape about 2,000 miles with the Defenders and I liked the job they did for me. The Endurance are in the 34,000 mile range (5 tires ) so about 27,000 per tire and are due to be changed out. One way I’ll stimulate the economy shortly.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-16-2021, 11:13 PM   #76
Site Team

I note there is also a Defender LTX A/T which is an all terrain version of the same tire.

I still like my BFG KO2's on 4x4 kinda trucks :-p
Old 03-16-2021, 11:26 PM   #77

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I note there is also a Defender LTX A/T which is an all terrain version of the same tire.

I still like my BFG KO2's on 4x4 kinda trucks :-p
Before the purchasing departments proliferated City government, people who knew tires and pushed a lot of snow that kept the city open, pushed with BF. Goodrich Super All Traction tires. They were tops for that job for the taxpayers money. And that’s not a humble opinion but it’s mine.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
On the Escape we are running Goodyear Endurance. I’ve only pulled the Escape about 2,000 miles with the Defenders and I liked the job they did for me. The Endurance are in the 34,000 mile range (5 tires ) so about 27,000 per tire and are due to be changed out. One way I’ll stimulate the economy shortly.
Iowa Dave
I changed out my tires on the 5.0 to Goodyear Endurance. I felt an immediate difference and after putting about 1,500 miles on this, I really like them.

They feel great. I did have to re torque my lugnuts twice after changing out the tires. And I am keeping a close eye on tread, looking for signs before I ruin another tire.

So far, so good!
Old 03-17-2021, 09:18 AM   #79

Tire wear

Hi Tim
Threads on tire wear are many. But like boiling down a chicken for noodle soup, there are only so many parts. If you go back and read all the threads you will find a lot causes. All have solutions, some are virtually free to trailer do it yourselfers with a few common tools, others not so much.
Free
Check inflation regular. TPMS if you need to spend your stimulus money.
Rotate tires Put the spare in the mix instead of it aging out unused on the bumper.
Lug nut torque and proper centering with even installation. Less than $30 with a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench, lug nut socket and three or six inch extension from Harbor Freight.
Check bearings and thrust washer for proper seating and king nut for tightness.
Brakes properly adjusted so they all bite evenly
Check electrical connections where brake assembly wires attach to trailer loom (about a foot from the top of the backing plate under the plastic cover)

Costs money
Tires balanced
Bearings cleaned, inspected, repacked, seal replaced. Can do it yourself or pay to have it done.
Replace a bent wheel

Costs more money sometimes a lot more.
Axle inspection for being bent
Axle replaced

I’m no doubt missing a few, probably some obvious. After nearly 60 years on trailers ( bought my first boat and trailer at 15) and a World War II tank and truck maintenance man for a father, some mental tattoos don’t go away.

Again, like with anything else, for me regular inspection, attention to problems when detected,
And the words of old dad still echoing in my aging mind when we worked on new cars that should not have been having a problem “if they can put them together wrong in Detroit we can take them apart and fix them in Cedar Rapids” I continue to spend some time on maintenance with resulting satisfaction at the end of the day. Changed the cabin air filter and engine air filter on the Highlander yesterday. $35 parts and my labor $00. 15 minutes.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #80

Trailer: Escape 5 TA
Michelin only
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote