Escape 5.0 owners: What tires do you use on your truck? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
I've just read through this whole thread and made a decision regarding a set of tires at the local COSTCO tire shop; they quoted me for a set of 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 113T; here in Canada these are the Michelins they carry and they have a great price on them. The tires from Ford that I am replacing are Hankook Revo 3 113T which are a similarly rated tire. The sticker on my truck is shown below:

Attachment 54287

I think these tires should do the trick, comments?
We have been running those tires for three years now on the old Dodge, very happy with them. Quite and smooth on the highway and they do well on the beach when aired down.

Will replace them with same tire when the time comes. Just need to dig it out.

I like bikes!
Attached Thumbnails
CE1CE360-32A6-44A8-8373-D778E581C9E6.jpg   D6057120-B3CE-4C00-9C1C-20AC8373BA97.jpg  
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 05:21 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Black and white& read all over!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Michelin only
Hi: Carl... I prefer nice round licorice black tires with a hole in the middle. The 20" Toyo's on our tug have white letters on the side but the 15" Goodyear Endurance on the 5.0TA are all black. So far...so good. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:07 PM   #83

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Tim
I’m no doubt missing a few, probably some obvious. After nearly 60 years on trailers ( bought my first boat and trailer at 15) and a World War II tank and truck maintenance man for a father, some mental tattoos don’t go away.
Iowa Dave

Dave, you are an international treasure. Thank you for all your kind words of advice.

Now the trick is to figure it out before I ruin the tire.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #84

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
I think something got miscommunicated somewhere. "Revo 3" is a Bridgestone tire and not Hankook.

The Defender LTX are more highway truck tires vs the more all-terrain Revo 3s. They'll probably be quieter and have better traction on the road and a better ride, but not be as good as the Revos off-road or on snow. Both are very good, but different specialties.
defenestrator, you're totally right, been reviewing too many tires and starting to mix up my brands, the original equipment tires are Hankook Dynapro ATM 113T 275/55/R20's, they have a pretty aggressive lug tread pattern and even worn the way they are now, they're pretty noisy on the highway, that said we done a lot of long trips with our Esacpe trailer and they have preformed really well!
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #85

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I note there is also a Defender LTX A/T which is an all terrain version of the same tire.

I still like my BFG KO2's on 4x4 kinda trucks :-p
Thanks for all your help guys; as usual this forum is so so helpful.

John, appreciate your advice. I had BF Gooderich on my last truck and loved them. Today, I ended up at the Ford dealership to get some advice on a strange vibration in the drivetrain and took the time to see what they has in their tire department. Turns out they had the newer Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires in the 275/55/R20 size I need and they are having a great sale; between the Michelin rebate that's on now and the Ford sale I'm getting them at a really great price as well as free installation and free storage on my winter snows!! Too good of a deal to pass up so I'm going with these. CHEERS

Let's all hope that we get to hit the blacktop again real soon....
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:47 AM   #86

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All of this attention to tires and not a single mention about spares? I found out my spare on my Ram1500 truck was inadequate for towing. So I purchased a full sized wheel with tire and carry it in my truck bed. Otherwise the factory tire set up will not work on certain vehicles.....check your spares!
Old 03-18-2021, 08:05 AM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Don't spare the horses!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All of this attention to tires and not a single mention about spares? I found out my spare on my Ram1500 truck was inadequate for towing. So I purchased a full sized wheel with tire and carry it in my truck bed. Otherwise the factory tire set up will not work on certain vehicles.....check your spares!
Hi: cpaharley2008... Spare yourself the worry. So far the one flat we had was on the trailer. Drywall screw in the tread. Put some air in thanks to a fellow camper and tugged out to the tire repair shop. Easy as a puff of air... no spare required!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #88

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The Highlander came with a spare not designed for towing . The diameter and roll-out matched the tires on the SUV. The salesman told me a full sized spare would not fit in the holder under the rig. I jacked the Highlander up, took off a front tire, dropped and removed the spare. The front tire fit in the space just fine. It’s close but it fits. So I bought a steel wheel and a matching tire and put it up in the space. I lower it down in the spring and fall to check the inflation and clean it up. When you’re ready for an emergency, and have spent good money on something that will probably never get used, the emergency will not occur. That’s Smitty’s Law. It also leads to hoarding disorder ( might need two of these some day). But I drove 390 miles in the rain today with a raincoat, rubber shoes and a dry towel that I didn’t have to use. So it worked again. That’s a piece of my mind that gives me peace of mind.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-18-2021, 08:34 PM   #89

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
We did the same as Dave with our 2020 Highlander. Dave, thanks again for the good idea and helpful comments. Our Toyota service manager agreed and even referred us to a place for a cheaper rim.
The forum does it again.
Catherine
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote