Escape's Backup-cam vs. Ford's 360 trailer cam? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 08:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Escape's Backup-cam vs. Ford's 360 trailer cam?

Ford offers a wired backup camera to mount on a trailer for recent F-series pickups that integrates with their 360° view feature. With it, you get to see an overhead view of your vehicle (and trailer?) along with the backup camera image.
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-150 360 view.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	64114

Does anyone have experience with the Ford backup camera option as well as a more conventional camera like Escape provides?
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
... Does anyone have experience with the Ford backup camera option ...
I'm working on the installation of the Ford Accessory Trailer TPMS + Trailer Rear-View Cam on my 2022 F150 / Escape 5.0 as time allows.

Just FYI two posts I've made on an F150 forum in a thread about my project:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thre...89/post-227368

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thre...89/post-237112

You may find that whole thread a worthwhile read, despite the title it does have extensive discussion pertinent to the integrated trailer-cam and examples of successful installations.

I'll update here when I get mine up-and-running, I'm confident that we'll get there!
Old 08-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #3

Re: Escape's Backup-cam vs. Ford's 360 trailer cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I'm working on the installation of the Ford Accessory Trailer TPMS + Trailer Rear-View Cam on my 2022 F150 / Escape 5.0 as time allows.

Just FYI two posts I've made on an F150 forum in a thread about my project:
Installing this looks far more involved that I would have expected. I'm hoping it'll be worth the effort.

My 2022 F-150 XLT has the 7/12 pin connector on the rear bumper, Max TT Package, Co-Pilot 360Assist 2.0, and the 360 Degree Camera Package.

The dealer told me that I can add the "manual" TT mirrors as a dealer-installed upgrade.

I can see the add trailer menu item. When I select it, it says something like "no trailer detected".

Quote:
I'll update here when I get mine up-and-running, I'm confident that we'll get there!
Thanks! I'll be on the "edge of my chair".

This is actually the first vehicle I've ever owned with a backup camera, and with an automatic transmission. So there's a lot to learn about it yet.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
.... My 2022 F-150 XLT has the 7/12 pin connector on the rear bumper, Max TT Package, Co-Pilot 360Assist 2.0, and the 360 Degree Camera Package.
I'd be curious to know if the harness plug behind the 12-pin portion of your bumper connector has 2-wires into it or is populated with more wires as shown in the attached pic. IF the latter, congratulations, your truck is likely equipped for straight 'plug-and-play' of the Accessory Trailer Kit; IF the former, you will likely require the truck-side harness replacement described in the thread I linked (but not in my posts).

Your current screen / display behavior is consistent with all being fully enabled in the truck's systems, so once you get past the harness situation you should be good to go.

It's odd and unfortunate that Ford seems to be delivering late F150's having the requisite 360-degree cam package but without all of the support for the Trailer Accessory Kit ready-to-go; it's hard to discern the rhyme-or-reason, perhaps another commodity constraint issue, but it is what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
FULLY POPULATED 12-PIN CONNECTOR reduced.jpg  
Old 08-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
I'd be curious to know if the harness plug behind the 12-pin portion of your bumper connector has 2-wires into it or is populated with more wires as shown in the attached pic.
My hopes were up when I saw all 12 pins populated in the connector body.

Name:	2022-F150-12-pin.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	64120

Alas, I guess it's not going to be that easy.

Name:	2022-F150-CamWires.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	64121

Quote:
IF the latter, congratulations, your truck is likely equipped for straight 'plug-and-play' of the Accessory Trailer Kit; IF the former, you will likely require the truck-side harness replacement described in the thread I linked (but not in my posts).
I do plan to do some work this fall to install two ham radios. I guess adding the camera wiring will have to become part of that project.
Old 08-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
My hopes were up when I saw all 12 pins populated in the connector body.
>>>
Alas, I guess it's not going to be that easy.
>>>
I do plan to do some work this fall to install two ham radios. I guess adding the camera wiring will have to become part of that project.
Well, it's little consolation but you're far from alone in this situation.

BTW, in regard to part of your original question re: other trailer cam systems ....
  • There are certainly less expensive other-than-Ford options on the market
  • Many offer much higher image quality than the Ford system
  • Many offer night-vision capability
  • Almost all are 'wireless' making the trailer-side installation much easier
  • I'm not aware of any current aftermarket solution which integrates with the Ford display / 360-degree cam controls
I'm driven to the Ford solution because
  • Image quality isn't critical for me, I just would like basic visibility of what is or is not behind me, I don't need to read license-plate numbers; I avoid towing at night for unrelated reasons.
  • It can include the capability for trailer TPMS (pressure and temperature) and the sensors mount inside the wheel like an OE car sensor rather than on the outside on the valve-stem
  • Paramount - it's fully integrated into existing vehicle displays and TPMS alarm systems, and that's worth a huge premium for me (I'll pay a lot to avoid dealing with add-on external displays / controllers).
YMMV of course
Old 08-05-2022, 07:34 PM   #7

Ford's 360 trailer cam

Quote:
I'm driven to the Ford solution because
  • Image quality isn't critical for me, I just would like basic visibility of what is or is not behind me, I don't need to read license-plate numbers; I avoid towing at night for unrelated reasons.
  • It can include the capability for trailer TPMS (pressure and temperature) and the sensors mount inside the wheel like an OE car sensor rather than on the outside on the valve-stem
  • Paramount - it's fully integrated into existing vehicle displays and TPMS alarm systems, and that's worth a huge premium for me (I'll pay a lot to avoid dealing with add-on external displays / controllers).
These are the same reasons I'm interested. I'll already have several other add-on gadgets on the dash, adding one more (a third-party backup camera) just adds that much more to the complexity and clutter.

I talked to the parts guy from my dealership today. He's willing to help me out, but knowing which is exactly the right part is beyond his expertise.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:35 PM   #8

Trailer: looking to buy escape
Quote:
These are the same reasons I'm interested. I'll already have several other add-on gadgets on the dash, adding one more (a third-party backup camera) just adds that much more to the complexity and clutter.

I talked to the parts guy from my dealership today. He's willing to help me out, but knowing which is exactly the right part is beyond his expertise.
To All:
How are you running the wires from the truck to the back of the Escape and how are you mounting the camera on the back of the trailer?
Joan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 02:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan W View Post
To All:
How are you running the wires from the truck to the back of the Escape and how are you mounting the camera on the back of the trailer?
I have the same question but mine is a Chevy kit. The trailer cam is powered from the truck and the cord has a fairly large end on it. I’d like to route it thru the 5.0 rather than underneath but hate to drill a larger hole front and back in the camper..

Edit to add: I have a friend who installs all sorts of mobile radio equipment. I’m going to ask him if he can cut and splice the cable.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 BIGFOOT 25RT
Truck cameras

I have f350 dually with the ultimate trailer tow package,cameras all around.when I back up to my boat trailer then I push the zoom in button on the dash screen and I can put the ball right under the trailer tongue.works perfect,do you not have the zoom in button when you get closer?
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Have you made any progress. Do you have all of the parts? Do you have it working yet?
Old 11-06-2022, 11:47 PM   #12

Trailer: looking to buy escape
Hi We do have all the parts. Had to read instructions to understand. There was an extra part plugged into one of the ends that made it confusing. You don't need it because that end will plug into the truck. We did put it all together and plug it into the truck to make sure it works. Yes!!! We have not installed yet. My husbands last idea on this was to go under the trailer and then hook the camera to the bumper. Someone had done that in a video on you tube. He does not want to make a hole in the camper. We did make progress on the wait list and at 34 escapes trails before us !!!
Joan W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, ford