Extra tow vehicle fuel - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2022, 08:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 E19
Back to the OP's question...........

Hauling gas cans on the rear bumper of the trailer would not be in my first 10, or so, choices of location. A bit exposed there for collisions.

A pickup bed (secured near the rear), or the tongue of the trailer would offer a bit more protection. I would NOT want a gas can right by a battery bank either..........

IMO - your mileage may vary.............
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:40 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
As I posted, though I’m not crazy about hauling gasoline anywhere, I’d rather have it in the trailer, wedged or tied off so it wouldn’t slide or tip over. Having it inside the vehicle would be catastrophic. That said, I have three of the $35 five gallon plastic cans. They seal up very tight and don’t leak if turned on their side. That stiff push button dispensing mechanism is a pain. But it doesn’t let vapors out either. Spilled gasoline down a storm drain is not good either.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-07-2022, 10:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
As I posted, though I’m not crazy about hauling gasoline anywhere, I’d rather have it in the trailer, wedged or tied off so it wouldn’t slide or tip over. Having it inside the vehicle would be catastrophic. That said, I have three of the $35 five gallon plastic cans. They seal up very tight and don’t leak if turned on their side. That stiff push button dispensing mechanism is a pain. But it doesn’t let vapors out either. Spilled gasoline down a storm drain is not good either.
Iowa Dave

"...in the trailer.........."?

Please don't..............
Old 04-07-2022, 11:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
"...in the trailer.........."?

Please don't..............
I probably wasn’t clear enough. I wouldn’t keep fuel in the trailer when there were people in the trailer. But if the fuel is in the exterior of the trailer or tow vehicle, ignition is probable in an accident and inside the tow vehicle, SUV, would not be good in an accident either. So that’s.my rationale. Your choices may be different. Personally, I don’t have to worry about running out of fuel as I plan my stops, know my range and don’t travel that far off the beaten path, and I’m ok with that too.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 04-07-2022, 11:32 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
I want to solve the puzzle!

Is it "Just attach some reinforced rubber hose to your gas cans, like the stuff holding the propane "bungee-cylinders" that are bouncing around in the first crash here..." ?

Old 04-08-2022, 01:17 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 21c
Drove up in 2020 with a Nissan Frontier towing a 25’ stick built. Got about 10 mpg. Half the gas stations and lodges listed in the milepost were shutdown due to covid,had a few Seinfeld moments , but I carried 2-5 gal and had to use them twice. Hope it’s better now but I’d still carry some extra gas.
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:30 AM   #27

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Genuine Scepter MFC and water containers

When you come to Sumas WA to pick up your trailer, drive up to DS Tactical in New Westminster, BC and stock up on genuine Scepter mil spec military fuel and water containers. Order ahead for best supply. <www.dstactical.com> The fuel containers are not available in the US although our military uses millions of them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scepter.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	62017
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I probably wasn’t clear enough. I wouldn’t keep fuel in the trailer when there were people in the trailer. But if the fuel is in the exterior of the trailer or tow vehicle, ignition is probable in an accident and inside the tow vehicle, SUV, would not be good in an accident either. So that’s.my rationale. Your choices may be different. Personally, I don’t have to worry about running out of fuel as I plan my stops, know my range and don’t travel that far off the beaten path, and I’m ok with that too.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Inside a confined space for vapor to potentially build up in with multiple ignition sources present.......that would be a "No".

Outside is "better", though on the back trailer bumper is a bit of exposure. What does the US military do....(though diesel & water)......?

Name:	external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	62026

Be careful folks..........

My "mileage" taught me different - my ride for a number of years and spare fuel could be a lifesaver for others beside yourself.

Name:	b68b.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	62024
Old 04-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
When you come to Sumas WA to pick up your trailer, drive up to DS Tactical in New Westminster, BC and stock up on genuine Scepter mil spec military fuel and water containers. Order ahead for best supply. <www.dstactical.com> The fuel containers are not available in the US although our military uses millions of them.
Attachment 62017

Will US Customs let the Scepter MFCs back across?

Asking......"for a friend".......
Old 04-08-2022, 01:04 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have a little car that has no rear bumper and the gas tank only has an 1" clearance to the aluminum skin...
Sorry for the tangent, but just gotta ask: A Lotus 7 or Caterham perchance? If so, BRG with yellow stripe?
Old 04-08-2022, 09:02 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I'll second what Hawkeye Ed suggested. I have brought several Scepter MFCs back from trips to Canada and have never had them questioned by Customs. They have looked at them but I didn't make any deal out of them.

Whilst you're picking up several be sure to include a clear filler tube (the black corrugated tube is too large for standard truck or car filling) and a wrench for the cap.

Their water containers are great too. They also need their own wrench, and they have a variety of hoses and fittings for them.

If you know what you want do call ahead so they can have them in the store from their warehouse.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote