Extra tow vehicle fuel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Extra tow vehicle fuel

Has anyone used a rack on the hitch behind the trailer to haul extra fuel cans for the tow vehicle? Any suggestions?
Marshall Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my tug holds 38 gallons of diesel, so a couple 5g jerry cans wouldn't be worth bothering with. I've heard there's a aux tank made for my truck that doubles its capacity, but I hate to think how many times I'd have to swipe my credit cards at a pump to fill that. it already takes two swipes if its much below 1/3rd tank.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Extra fuel

My Tacoma holds 21 gallons, and planning a trip to Alaska leaves me a little concerned with a 250-300 mile range.
Marshall Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
This reminds me of a joke by a disc jockey back in the 70's when it was found that Pintos had a high risk of bursting into flame on impact.

"They're just like my secretary," he said, "one little tap on the rear and she blows up."

Old 03-06-2022, 06:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Escape View Post
My Tacoma holds 21 gallons, and planning a trip to Alaska leaves me a little concerned with a 250-300 mile range.
I towed a 17B with a RAV4 that has an 16 gallon tank getting 13 -14 MPG to Alaska & back in 2015. While I carried a metal 2 1/2 gallon fuel can, I never needed it.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I towed a 17B with a RAV4 that has an 16 gallon tank getting 13 -14 MPG to Alaska & back in 2015. While I carried a metal 2 1/2 gallon fuel can, I never needed it.
I remember seeing you oncoming there. Don't know what the tank capacity of my old Ranger was but fuel was a non issue.

I have a liitle car that has no rear bumper and the gas tank only has an 1" clearance to the aluminum skin and I sit on top of a 6gal. tank on my m/c but I'd still be hesitant to put gas cans on the rear of the trailer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ve never really needed it, but I keep a 5 gallon jug in the truck bed for the generator, and in case. The last few times I’ve not needed the gen or fuel, but it’s reassurance for boondocking more than 5 days, and my Ranger’s small fuel tank.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My 2013 Tacoma with the 4.0 V6 has a range of about 220 miles while towing, FWIW. That's towing over average terrain until the yellow "Low Fuel" light comes on. I also had this concern while planning a trip to Alaska. At this point I may have a new tow vehicle before I go there.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If I was to need an extra fuel setup, I’d get a high quality 5 gallon plastic fuel container. They cost about $35. I would travel with it empty. When I consulted a map for the next days travel and the range was iffy I’d fill the can and top off the tank in the morning. Then when I felt I had drawn down the vehicle tank, I’d stop and put the 5 gallons in. This would minimize my exposure if that is a concern. Ii would travel with the can inside of the Escape, secured. Others I’m sure would proceed differently.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-07-2022, 12:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Has anyone used a rack on the hitch behind the trailer to haul extra fuel cans for the tow vehicle? Any suggestions?

I thought of bringing extra gas.], but would only be a couple of gals for a dry length of no gas stations(has happened to me in an F250, 12 MPG & the station shown was CLOSED!). I'm of the age now where, I need to stop get out & walk around & all, a lot more often. Plus traveling with dogs. I rather put the weight in water.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21...our EscapePod; 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Heading to Alaska as well. Our plan is similar to Dave, we will keep a 5 gallon can empty in the bed of truck and will check mileage track for the following day(s), if we think were going to need it...then will fill it up and then use it after the situation passes. Stick the dry can back in the bed. Doubt we will need it much, but better to have it than not.
camperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
I secure a couple of 2Gal Rotopax gas tanks between the batteries and the propane tank's cover, enough room for the tanks and the securing hardware. Mainly for the rare generator use and for some peace of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
RotoPax.jpg  
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 E19
NATO style

In the bed of a truck or mounted to the rear of the trailer please.........never inside a SUV or vehicle.

Scepter MFC is the best for "short term" storage - but crazy prices in the US and technically "not available" via Scepter in the US.

"Technically"..............

Example of crazy price - https://www.princessauto.com/en/20-l...t/PA0008451411

But, for longer term storage in the bed of a truck, these are great, though prices are now crazy as well. FYI - plastic cans "breathe" (through the plastic even with no vents) and the gas will go "bad" over time - metal NATO style don't breathe, and are great - I have gone over a year with 10% ethanol gas with zero problems with such. Get the holder (lockable) and the donkey "thing" or the shorter spout as well.............

FYI - They make 2 1/2 gallon and smaller ones (1.3G) ones as well...........

https://www.roverparts.com/off-road-...ns/GJC20HLDSP/

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it...

Two is one, and one is none.............
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 E19
Why.........?

Would anyone carry an empty gas can.......?

Especially these days.

7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
During one of the Florida Covid fuel shortages I purchased and carried a 5 gallon fuel can of diesel on the back of my trailer. Turns out, while many station were out of gasoline, they still had diesel.

The same occurs during hurricane panic buying. While many stations run out of gasoline during hurricane evacuations. They all have diesel.

One of the reasons I prefer a diesel tow vehicle.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:55 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
During one of the Florida Covid fuel shortages I purchased and carried a 5 gallon fuel can of diesel on the back of my trailer. Turns out, while many station were out of gasoline, they still had diesel.

The same occurs during hurricane panic buying. While many stations run out of gasoline during hurricane evacuations. They all have diesel.

One of the reasons I prefer a diesel tow vehicle.
There may be local or DOT regulations on where you can safely carry a fuel can, diesel or gas.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There may be local or DOT regulations on where you can safely carry a fuel can, diesel or gas.
I don't believe those type of DOT regulations apply to noncommercial vehicles.

Generally, Federal Regulations are justified because they are regulating interstate commerce. New vehicles have to meet DOT regulations, because they aren't made and sold in only one State.

There may be State regulations regarding that, but, not to my knowledge.

Is it safe or legal to fill jerry cans with gasoline and transport them inside a car?
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:18 PM   #18

There are some regulations on a state by state basis or even locally which are to be observed. For example in my home town in Iowa it was illegal to put gasoline in glass jars. When I was a kid, once in a while someone would come into our filling station with an old screw top cap on a one or two gallon glass jug. It was the container they had used to put gasoline in their lean mower. I was instructed by the fire inspector not to dispense gasoline into glass. In addition we had a couple posters to that effect that indicated the ordinance and authority. I heard a fellow tell my dad “I’ll never come back here.” Dad’s response “Good.”
Iowa Dave
Old 04-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
“I’ll never come back here.” Dad’s response “Good.”
Iowa Dave
Idle threats are so funny.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:56 PM   #20

Threats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Idle threats are so funny.
My Dad wasn’t much affected by threats. Fighting in the Battle of the Bulge and being part of the liberation force of the concentration camps at Nordhausen with the Third Armored division in WWII seemed to have changed him from what my Mom said. I just got out his favorite fishing reel and cleaned it for the season. A Mitchell 300 my brothers and I bought him for Father’s Day in 1964. He used it for three years before he died in the Spring of 1967.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
4CA60025-6596-4E9E-8559-E2A219B9C425.jpg