Ez-Connector Trailer Plug - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2023, 09:59 AM   #1
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Ez-Connector Trailer Plug

Ez-Connector works great but may not be for everyone. From the beginning my 2021 Ford F-150, 7-pin plug receptacle hasn’t really liked the trailer plug of my 2022 Escape. It felt lose when plugged in and didn’t fell like the contact in the plug were making a good connection. This resulting in my truck not recognizing a trailer was attached. Pushing and wiggling the plug always cured the problem. But when traveling on dirt roads, which we often do, I felt unsure that I could totally trust the connection and in particular the trailer brakes might not work when I needed them. Our Chalet LTW had single blade style connectors and worked great with my Ford, but I noticed that the Escape trailer plugs have a double blade or double prong style plug.

Several times I’ve seen posts regarding the magnetic Ez-Connector system and while I thought the concept looked interesting, I didn’t know if it could be adapted to my Ford without having a massive plug hanging below my bumper. Finally, I motivated myself to go to the EZ-Connector website and found they make a plug and play magnetic vehicle side male adapter (319-S7-06) that has the same connector that most late model trucks like Ford, GM, RAM, and Toyota use to connect to the wiring harness. They also make one for older RAM models that have a square vehicle wiring connector. I also found they make “no drill mounting clips” for mounting the male connector in the same location as the factory plug (319-S7-60B2).I also got the (319-S7-10) 8 ft long trailer connector cable which was the perfect length.
Installation of the vehicle side connector was much easier than I thought. I just followed the EZ-Connector instructions, and the OEM plug came right out. Disconnecting the OEM plug from the vehicle wiring harness was also easy as was connecting the Ez-Connector. I did have a little trouble getting the screws started into the mounting adapter but once I removed my license plate, and the adapter could lie flat, it all snugged up to the back of the bumper and feels very secure. Installing the cable was also pretty easy because the Escape has a pin box mounted inside the frame. I just removed the cable from the trailer and cut the wires on the new one to match the old cable wire lengths, then I installed ring connectors on each wire and reinstalled in the pin box.

In the process of removing the old cable, I discovered the power wire from the trailer (8AWG) and the one from the cable (10AWG) was never crimped. They were held together by the heat shrink on the 10AWG butt connector. After some experimentation I found I had to use a 10AWG butt connector because an 8AWG connector was too big to get a good crimp on the 10AWG wire. So, I removed a few strands from the 8AWG wire (probably not ideal) so the butt connector would slip on, then crimped both ends. It may be my imagination, but I believe I’m getting more output from the truck’s alternator. It’ll take a real trip to be sure.

I’ve only towed the trailer a couple of times and only short distances, but the Ez-Connector feels solid when connected and my truck recognizes a trailer is connected every time. Even the brakes work better, and I had to reduce the gain from 6.5 to 4.5. As soon as the weather warms and dries I’ll check the brake wires under the trailer and probably replace the connectors with heat-shrink butt connectors.

Pinbox picture shows uncrimped butt connector.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F-150 7 pin Connector.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	66387

Name:	EZ-Connector Recepticle.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	66388

Name:	Before EZ-Connector.jpg