F-150 payload - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
A hunting buddy of mine is an automotive engineer for GM
When it comes to payload limits I prefer to follow his advise
Which is "Follow the owner's manual and the vehicle sticker "
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:20 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
�� “Common sense,the least common of all the senses” . Read that somewhere.
Can you increase the “payload” of your vehicle? No, not without getting it recertified and I don’t have a clue if that’s even possible. Can you increase the load carrying capability of your vehicle, absolutely, within said vehicles constraints. There are no F150 trucks capable of carrying 20000 lbs, there are however ones with 3100 lbs rating. So can I increase the load carrying capabilities of my F150 with a payload of 1660 lbs, absolutely. For the Crewcab F150 the max rating , again for my 2016 is 2100lbs. The 3200 lbs ratted version is a regular cab 2 wheel drive.
I’m confident that anyone not concerned with the legal “payload” could make any late model F150 capable of handling a 5.0TA. Using OEM or after market parts. This pertains to load carrying capabilities only before I get piled on about motors, gears, coolers,etc. ��
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
�� “Common sense,the least common of all the senses” . Read that somewhere.
Can you increase the “payload” of your vehicle? No, not without getting it recertified and I don’t have a clue if that’s even possible. Can you increase the load carrying capability of your vehicle, absolutely, within said vehicles constraints. There are no F150 trucks capable of carrying 20000 lbs, there are however ones with 3100 lbs rating. So can I increase the load carrying capabilities of my F150 with a payload of 1660 lbs, absolutely. For the Crewcab F150 the max rating , again for my 2016 is 2100lbs. The 3200 lbs ratted version is a regular cab 2 wheel drive.
I’m confident that anyone not concerned with the legal “payload” could make any late model F150 capable of handling a 5.0TA. Using OEM or after market parts. This pertains to load carrying capabilities only before I get piled on about motors, gears, coolers,etc. ��
Unfortunately, Cliff, there are individuals who just feel they must “pile on” anytime they have the opportunity to do so or think there is only one side to any given issue. Some do so with no valid data or experience to validate, only personal opinion. Therefore, any opinion you may have is as credible as anyone else’s.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFDavis50 View Post
You are not LEGALLY increasing the payload of your vehicle but you are increasing the safety and handling factor by adding SUMO Springs or other air bags. Also on a 5.0TA you can decrease the pin weight by emptying the black tank, (and grey) filling the fresh tank, moving heavy cargo out of the front storage areas and putting them behind the axles, using only one propane tank, adding a bicycle rack or cargo box to the back of the trailer. As long as you aren't hauling lead or gold bars you probably can't make the pin weight so light that the trailer becomes dangerous. A fifth wheel design which puts the pin weight on or just ahead of the axle is inherently more stable and aerodynamic than a bumper pull. If you want a 5.0TA and your sticker says your 1/2 ton truck only has 1200 to 1350 Lbs. cargo capacity go ahead and get the 5.0TA and just be careful what you are hauling. Also, the towing and cargo capacity figures also assume a worst case, ie... hauling the payload plus the "fudge factor" up Colorado I 70 to the Eisenhower tunnel and then down into Silverthorne while maintaining a speed of 65 mph, followed by driving over some serious bumpy roads. They closely monitor the handling, anti sway, breaking including emergency braking and monitor the short and long term wear and come up with a very safe number which can last for a long life. There is a lot of fudge in those numbers. The max numbers are not based on I 70 eastbound thru Kansas or I 95 to Florida.
AMEN! 5.0TA and Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4 1/2 ton no mods works just fine for me! Be careful about what you bring and where you put it. Keep it simple, lightweight camper and you are CAMPING....
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
It can get tricky fast (due to different engines, trim levels, options, etc.) trying to compare base curb weights, but if you at least standardize to 2-wheel drive, single rear wheels (not dualies), there is a 300-400 pound increase in base curb weight each time you move up in model from F-150 "half ton" to F-250 "three quarter ton" to F-350 "one ton". Beefier build (frame, drive train, etc.) as you move up the model line.
I would say that changing from an F-150 to an F-250 is getting a completely different truck, and one which is in the next common level of truck weight and capacity higher. From an F-250 to an F-350 is very much like just a payload package, within the same model (the Super Duty pickup). That's why the curb weight jump from an F-150 to an F-250 (4800 to 6350 lb or +1550 lb for a SuperCab 6.5' 4X4 XLT V8) is much greater than the curb weight increase from an F-250 to an F-350 (6350 to 6610 or +260 lb).

There are limits to each model, and the F-150 runs out long before the heavier Super Duty pickup, which in turns runs out long before the Super Duty chassis-cabs. Of course even the F-150 is plenty for any Escape... if properly configured.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Reading this thread reminded me of the time, many years ago, when a friend decided he needed some large river rock for his landscaping project. Went out of town to a place where he could find some, and since he didn't want to make another trip, he filled the bed of his truck with rock. Worked just fine until he tried to drive away, when the rear axle broke, at both wheels. Since I rather strongly suspect, without knowing for sure, that he was gathering the rock illegally, I kind of thought he got what he deserved. He probably had 5-6000 lbs of rock in his truck, and since this was back in the late 80's, his half-ton probably really did have a half-ton or so payload rating.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
if you got additional pay load would that be included in the door sticker?
And any and all options after the factory such as dealer options or options you install, must be subtracted from your payload.

On our 2010 F150, options after the factory include spray in bed liner (70 pounds), tow mirrors, bed side steps (both sides), and the big one, ARE camper top (200 pounds). Total of these add ons is at least 350 pounds.

So our 1500 pound payload is only 1150 pounds. From this, subtract passengers, dog, stuff, number starts getting pretty low. Then subtract receiver hitch. Final subtraction is the tongue weight. Needless to say, the tow rating on my truck (9,800 pounds), is not meaningful for a pull behind trailer.

If/when we get a replacement truck, I will likely get MAX payload option, and max tow package. On the 2018 F150, the max payload can be as much as 3,300 pounds, pretty incredible. Of course, deduct options from that number, but starting that high gives you a lot of room for options while still maintaining significant towing capability. Probably NOT going to find one of these on the dealer lot, and dealer sales people are skilled into talking you into whatever truck they happen to have in stock. Its one reason Costco has become the #1 seller of new vehicles.

It would be interesting to compare the latest F150 ratings to the 1978 Chevy 3500 1 ton dually I used to have. I bet the new F150 has a higher rating!

https://www.ford.com/services/assets...-150&year=2018
[url]
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
So what I can logically gather from this thread is ;

1) One should not exceed a vehicles payload capacity when carrying rocks
2) One can exceed a vehicles payload capacity when towing an Escape 5.0 T A
3) A pound of rocks weighs more then a pound of fiberglass
4) There is a safety factor built into all vehicle ratings and that factor is to be determined by the vehicles owner.
5) I can modify my Ford F150 so thar it has the capabilities of a Ford F350 Dually
6) If you question the wisdom of exceeding your vehicles stated limits , you are just being negative and ridiculously cautious.
7) These limits apply to some brands of trucks but not the one I own cause my brand is superior.
8 ) Everyone else's unfounded opinion is fact but my opinion is just opinion / garbage.
9) These type of discussions never lead to any place good
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Steve, You forgot one that I'm surprised others on this forum haven't already pointed out:
10) Empty beer cans weigh less than full ones, so the more beer you drink out of your cooler, the greater your trucks payload capacity (at least until you restock).
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Steve, You forgot one that I'm surprised others on this forum haven't already pointed out:
10) Empty beer cans weigh less than full ones, so the more beer you drink out of your cooler, the greater your trucks payload capacity (at least until you restock).
That would depend on how much of that beer you are retaining🤔
Old 03-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
well i for one think this has been a good topic. I am comfortable with my choice of truck/trailer and my payload but i will be far more cautious when loading my truck because i am closer to the edge then i thought . We all don't have to agree on the fine line of things some people need a huge margin to feel safe they should get a bigger truck/payload others don't carry as much and can live with some limitations or be close to their limit . We don't all need to think the same way we live very different lives its all ok.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
well i for one think this has been a good topic. I am comfortable with my choice of truck/trailer and my payload but i will be far more cautious when loading my truck because i am closer to the edge then i thought . We all don't have to agree on the fine line of things some people need a huge margin to feel safe they should get a bigger truck/payload others don't carry as much and can live with some limitations or be close to their limit . We don't all need to think the same way we live very different lives its all ok.
Agreed I am with you.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
It would be interesting to compare the latest F150 ratings to the 1978 Chevy 3500 1 ton dually I used to have. I bet the new F150 has a higher rating!
1978 Chevrolet Trucks specs (from GM Heritage Center)

Those trucks (a "3500" or "1 ton" in 1978 was a C30) weighed 4,300 to 5,500 pounds, with GVWR as low as 6,600 pounds, so a current "half ton" can match some single-rear-wheel "one tons" of 1978. A C30 dually, though, had a GVWR of 10,000 pounds, so it still had a bit more payload.

We had a pickup of that generation (although just a C10 regular cab shortbox). It generally worked okay, but was certainly not up the performance of today's pickup. Our Sienna van replaced it... and is a more capable tow vehicle and hauler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Dang it, you guys have burst my bubble The payload for my F-150 is 1,437 lbs. Then I read that includes the fuel, score. Then I read it also includes a 160lb driver. I think... hummm, I don't weight that much, I can carry more stuff! Plotting and planning for stuff... then I read it doesn't include the driver. stuff being left at home...

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #35

Old 03-01-2018, 07:49 PM   #36

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Dang it, you guys have burst my bubble The payload for my F-150 is 1,437 lbs. Then I read that includes the fuel, score. Then I read it also includes a 160lb driver. I think... hummm, I don't weight that much, I can carry more stuff! Plotting and planning for stuff... then I read it doesn't include the driver. stuff being left at home...

Donna, now you really need that cabana boy to drive the chase vehicle with all the extra stuff!
Old 03-02-2018, 05:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

🤔 My bad, the allowance for driver, on my 2016 F150 is 150, not 160. ( it’s in fine print which is getting harder for me to read) 😫Guess I won’t be able to take that extra case of beer.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #38

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
�� My bad, the allowance for driver, on my 2016 F150 is 150, not 160. ( it’s in fine print which is getting harder for me to read) ��Guess I won’t be able to take that extra case of beer.
So the F150 may need to depending on options and setup do what we with Tacoma and other trucks do and pay attention to weight.
The sticker to go by is this one ( from a Ford F150 Lariat) , on my Tacoma the payload is 1150 Lbs this is the truck as it came from the factory with a full tank of fuel. To this I would add me (188 Lbs) and any passengers (can't post weight would instantly be killed) and whatever options the dealer installed (none) or I installed (fiberglass topper, air bags, rubber bed mat, flares and safety supplies) . So I do a balancing act to make sure the hitch and tongue weight and what I am carrying and us does not exceed the payload weight. I will exceed this before I exceed the towing capacity as will most other vehicles.
This truck is close to my trucks payload capacity, a lot of the F150's have higher capacity depending on options and setup. But is something to be aware of. Just because it's a F150 full size truck does not mean it can just be loaded up.
Also Ford just like every other manufacture does not include the driver (in the U.S) so you cannot subtract 150 Lbs from what you have loaded.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1506386&div=f

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...load_SB_v5.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
2017 F150 Lariat max trailer tow package 20 wheels.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:49 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Wow Ken I am surprised at how low that Lariat's payload is at 1153 lbs, also at Roberts F150 2.7EB (the same engine we have) at under 1300. Ours is 1484 lbs. . Mind you we have a well equipped XLT, guess the weight of Lariat's with all the bells and whistles is much higher than ours. I note that this Lariat sticker shows 20 inch tires, guess those are heavier too than our 18 inch.

For this upcoming trip I have put on an aluminum rack on the trailer carrying tote with blocks and new heavy rubber chocks that used to be in the truck bed. I figure if I put our daughter and two kids in back seat, I would likely be over so hoping this reduces our heavy 780 pin weight a bit. I figure with a single axle I can easier move some weight off that pin. I also have the heavy B&W Patriot hitch. These discussions on payload have opened my eyes to the fact that I have likely been close to my limit at times, especially when we used to travel with two heavy gravity chairs on the trailer bed.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Our F150 with no extra payload options, 5.5 ft box, aluminium body, largest cab, very well equipped and 3.5 eco boost is 1779 lbs. Not sure why the difference unless you are talking steal vs aluminium body.
Attached Thumbnails
182FF2CE-E6E7-43B0-9D9B-C591F973C41F.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote