F-150 payload - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #41

I did read that the Super Crew cabs get a heavier frame, regardless of 4x2 or 4x4, hence the higher usefull load rating. I'm sure the aluminum body also helps.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:53 AM   #42

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Wow Ken I am surprised at how low that Lariat's payload is at 1153 lbs, also at Roberts F150 2.7EB (the same engine we have) at under 1300. Ours is 1484 lbs. . Mind you we have a well equipped XLT, guess the weight of Lariat's with all the bells and whistles is much higher than ours. I note that this Lariat sticker shows 20 inch tires, guess those are heavier too than our 18 inch.

For this upcoming trip I have put on an aluminum rack on the trailer carrying tote with blocks and new heavy rubber chocks that used to be in the truck bed. I figure if I put our daughter and two kids in back seat, I would likely be over so hoping this reduces our heavy 780 pin weight a bit. I figure with a single axle I can easier move some weight off that pin. I also have the heavy B&W Patriot hitch. These discussions on payload have opened my eyes to the fact that I have likely been close to my limit at times, especially when we used to travel with two heavy gravity chairs on the trailer bed.

Adrian
Make sure the Tote does not block the rear license plate or lower signal lights if you travel to the U.S. Technically on our 19 when level the upper lights are not legal for tail light or brakes lights here. The measurement allowed for min/max for tail lights and brakes lights is 15 to 72 inches. For turn signals its 15 to 83 inches so they can be used for those. They are allowed as auxiliary or supplemental lights but are not really legal for primary signal lighting. If you block the lower lights consider adding lighting to the rear of the rack. Chances you would get pulled over are slim but get involved in a accident where someone rear ended you or crashed into you near the back of the trailer and all the odds are off.
What you will get pulled over for occasionally is an obscured or blocked license plate or no license plate light when its dark out. We moved the plate to the rack after a warning from a trooper not being able to read it through the spokes and got stopped again at night for no light. Luckily just another warning but I had to fix the problem and show it was done this time.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #43

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Wow Ken I am surprised at how low that Lariat's payload is at 1153 lbs, also at Roberts F150 2.7EB (the same engine we have) at under 1300. Ours is 1484 lbs. . Mind you we have a well equipped XLT, guess the weight of Lariat's with all the bells and whistles is much higher than ours. I note that this Lariat sticker shows 20 inch tires, guess those are heavier too than our 18 inch.
Adrian
A lot of discussion centers around 5th wheels but when towing a 5th wheel you (most??) are acutely aware of the fact that you have a sizable chunk of weight centered over the axle plus because you are using the bed for the hitch you have a lot less room to bring along "stuff". When towing an Escape 21 bumper pull (which the 5.0 is based on) it's true that you have a hitch weight of maybe 3 to 400 lbs less but you have the bed of the truck to fill up! Add a fiberglass cap to that truck and the difference is down to 1 to 200 lbs. Human nature dictates that if we have room to bring along "stuff" then we will. I think it all boils down to the fact that the 1/2 ton truck is a good compromise for towing and you still get a nice ride compared to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and it doubles as a daily driver for a lot of people. But really, when towing with a 1/2 ton pickup you always have to be careful with what you bring along and how you load your rig no matter what you are towing. When I was looking for a new truck I found it near impossible to find a F150 on the lot with a payload package kitted out as I wanted. You had to special order it, which leads me to believe that the vast majority of trucks on the road don't have it. I did a quick check on the Internet of what people are towing with the F150 Ecoboost and it seems we are firmly rooted on the lower end of the spectrum! Pics attached.
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
After Camping 5-25-15 copy.jpg   IMG_3215 copy.jpg  

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
�� My bad, the allowance for driver, on my 2016 F150 is 150, not 160. ( it’s in fine print which is getting harder for me to read) ��Guess I won’t be able to take that extra case of beer.
Hi: Chotch... You can take it as long as its "Lite beer". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #45

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Make sure the Tote does not block the rear license plate or lower signal lights if you travel to the U.S. Technically on our 19 when level the upper lights are not legal for tail light or brakes lights here. The measurement allowed for min/max for tail lights and brakes lights is 15 to 72 inches. For turn signals its 15 to 83 inches so they can be used for those. They are allowed as auxiliary or supplemental lights but are not really legal for primary signal lighting. If you block the lower lights consider adding lighting to the rear of the rack. Chances you would get pulled over are slim but get involved in a accident where someone rear ended you or crashed into you near the back of the trailer and all the odds are off.
What you will get pulled over for occasionally is an obscured or blocked license plate or no license plate light when its dark out. We moved the plate to the rack after a warning from a trooper not being able to read it through the spokes and got stopped again at night for no light. Luckily just another warning but I had to fix the problem and show it was done this time.
The tote is centred on the rack, just behind the spare tire (which on our old 5.0 is directly in the centre) and the full maple leaf even shows on the cover. The license plate and both rear taillights are well clear. I shall strap my step onto the rack on one side but will still be well clear. I only have lower lights and our ancient step slips on to a receiver under the door and we used to carry it in the rear receiver.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Our F150 with no extra payload options, 5.5 ft box, aluminium body, largest cab, very well equipped and 3.5 eco boost is 1779 lbs. Not sure why the difference unless you are talking steal vs aluminium body.
No I cannot understand the differences in the payload between differently equipped and engined F150's. Ours is a supercab maybe the frame is not as beefed up as a supercrew, but would not people with a supercab want to put more in the 6.5 box than the 5.5. Perhaps our smaller EB makes a difference as well.Ours is the aluminum body.

Adrian
Old 03-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
No I cannot understand the differences in the payload between differently equipped and engined F150's.
Yes, there are alot of variables Adrian. When I picked up my 2015 F150, I recall finding the fleet payload chart. You start with the cab type, the bed length, the engine size, the axle ratio, 4WD vs 2WD, etc. BUT, each and every option or package has a published weight in the chart. The only accurate way to determine what payload you'll wind up with would be to look up each item and add them together. Or, just take a look at the door jamb of a comparably equipped F150 on a dealer lot - which is much easier. All of these variables explain why the payload sticker can be much different from truck to truck, even though they appear to be similar.

If the goal is simply payload, then a 2WD stripped down regular cab XL with a payload package would be the way to go - but I wouldn't have half as much fun driving it.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...SB_Updates.pdf
Old 03-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, there are alot of variables Adrian. When I picked up my 2015 F150, I recall finding the fleet payload chart. You start with the cab type, the bed length, the engine size, the axle ratio, 4WD vs 2WD, etc. BUT, each and every option or package has a published weight in the chart. The only accurate way to determine what payload you'll wind up with would be to look up each item and add them together. Or, just take a look at the door jamb of a comparably equipped F150 on a dealer lot - which is much easier. All of these variables explain why the payload sticker can be much different from truck to truck, even though they appear to be similar.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...SB_Updates.pdf
That's exactly it and very true, BUT, the salesman/woman will quote you the base model payload (which for 2018 is 1950 lbs without the payload package) every time when trying to sell you the truck! I was looking at the yellow sticker for every truck I looked at and my salesman would just look the other way. My next door neighbour is the sales manager for a large Ford dealership in town and when I came home with my truck he was going on to me about how I would never run out of payload capacity with the truck towing my 5.0 with out knowing how the truck was spec'd etc!
Barry

Old 03-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
So the F150 may need to depending on options and setup do what we with Tacoma and other trucks do and pay attention to weight.
The sticker to go by is this one ( from a Ford F150 Lariat) , on my Tacoma the payload is 1150 Lbs this is the truck as it came from the factory with a full tank of fuel. To this I would add me (188 Lbs) and any passengers (can't post weight would instantly be killed) and whatever options the dealer installed (none) or I installed (fiberglass topper, air bags, rubber bed mat, flares and safety supplies) . So I do a balancing act to make sure the hitch and tongue weight and what I am carrying and us does not exceed the payload weight. I will exceed this before I exceed the towing capacity as will most other vehicles.
This truck is close to my trucks payload capacity, a lot of the F150's have higher capacity depending on options and setup. But is something to be aware of. Just because it's a F150 full size truck does not mean it can just be loaded up.
Also Ford just like every other manufacture does not include the driver (in the U.S) so you cannot subtract 150 Lbs from what you have loaded.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...G1506386&div=f

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...load_SB_v5.pdf

🤯 I really try only to comment on stuff from personal experience not opinion. I’ve stated before if 150 lbs will make or break your payload capabilities you may want to upgrade. 🤨 In the interest of accuracy attached is the chart from the Ford website I used to help make the choice on my 2016 F 150 and if you look at the notes at bottom you will see the allowance of 150 lbs for driver. I don’t know what any other manufacturers, or any other year Ford allows, let those looking for something else do their own homework. ✌️✌️
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	29910

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #50

Quote:
No I cannot understand the differences in the payload between differently equipped and engined F150's. Ours is a supercab maybe the frame is not as beefed up as a supercrew, but would not people with a supercab want to put more in the 6.5 box than the 5.5. Perhaps our smaller EB makes a difference as well.Ours is the aluminum body.

Adrian
The payloads for the 3.5 Ecoboost and the 5.0 Coyote are quite a bit higher than the ones for the base V6 and the 2.7 Ecoboost. 3270 Lbs for the 3.5 Ecoboost and 3230 lbs for the Coyote with payload package and 4x2, then you have to minus options from that. Without the payload package they are 2610 lbs for the 3.5 Ecoboost and 2340 lbs for the Coyote, all numbers for the 2018 model.
Maybe that has something to do with the difference in numbers.
Barry

Old 03-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #51

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
For what it's worth, the yellow door sticker of our 2016 F-150 XLT FX4 SuperCrew 5.5' bed 5.0L V8 lists payload at 1,893 lb. We added a 200 lb camper shell, and our 21's tongue weight is usually around 400 lb. Combined, my wife and I weigh around 340 (I don't dare break that out for you). So if I've figured that right, we still have around 950 lb to play with for our carry along stuff. We generally pack light (both truck and camper), so I'm feeling pretty comfortable with our situation.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #52
Site Team

More than enough Dale. I don't see a need for any payload package or heavy duty towing package to tow any Escape with an F150 - although the payload package would be a good idea with the 5th wheel, for reasons already discussed.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #53

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Good discussion, caused me check my payload numbers, think I'm OK. :-)
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't see a need for any payload package or heavy duty towing package to tow any Escape with an F150 - although the payload package would be a good idea with the 5th wheel, for reasons already discussed.
So I guess you meant that there is no need for a payload package to tow any conventional or "bumper pull" Escape, rather than any Escape.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
So I guess you meant that there is no need for a payload package to tow any conventional or "bumper pull" Escape, rather than any Escape.
Yeah, wasn't worded very well. Obviously the impact on payload from the tongue weight of the bumper pull Escapes is less than the impact from the kingpin weight of the 5.0TA.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Combined, my wife and I weigh around 340 (I don't dare break that out for you).
Well Dale in a couple of weeks we shall know what that breakdown is

Adrian
Old 03-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #57

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Well Dale in a couple of weeks we shall know what that breakdown is Adrian
Hint: I weigh nearly twice what she weighs!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote