f-150 towing mirrors - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
The Fit System mirrors are convenient and work well with the F-150. Maybe not required/necessary but they are nice to have. They even look pretty close to being factory installed and snap off easily when not towing. I like to set them so they look slightly down so I can see the tires as well as behind the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0959.jpg  

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
I like the standard mirrors size-wise when not towing.
Interesting you would say that. I replaced the standard mirrors on my F150 with towing mirrors and find I like them much better whether I am towing or not towing. They provide a larger view and are infinitely adjustable. I actually use them more when not towing than the rear view mirror on the windshield, which obviously is not of much use when towing.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Interesting you would say that. I replaced the standard mirrors on my F150 with towing mirrors and find I like them much better whether I am towing or not towing. They provide a larger view and are infinitely adjustable. I actually use them more when not towing than the rear view mirror on the windshield, which obviously is not of much use when towing.
Hum, well maybe I would like the ford towing mirrors more, never had them. I did have them on an old chevy, they were huge and forever getting in the way in parking lots etc. The only way to get them out of the way on the passenger side was to get out and fold them in. Do the shopping, get ready to drive off, look, get out again to fold them out!
Funny about the rearview mirror, when we got home from our cross country trip it took several days to learn to reuse the rear view and the first time or two I had that instant where I thought omg where's the trailer!
TallyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I almost never use the rear view mirror, as 90% of my driving is with a cargo/dump/recreational trailer in tow, and couldn't anyway. I agree that towing mirrors are just as beneficial if not towing though, and would not want to be without them towing.

I do like the idea and look of the Fit mirrors as an alternative. I tried to find something like that for my Pilot, but could not.

I know for a fact with some folks I know that they don't want the towing mirrors as a vanity thing, they don't like the look. They prefer the car like mirrors. Most of these people don't tow much, nor really do they need a pickup either. I read a while back that in Alberta the number one vehicle style driven by new millionaires is a pickup truck. To be fair, they did need one while working and growing their business, and just felt more comfortable driving one. I know I do. While I do like good looks in a vehicle if possible, that is secondary to getting the performance I want with all aspects of it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #25

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Jim,
I really understand the "vanity" factor thing. I purchased a Chevy SSR to set up for towing our Scamp 16. I could solve all the requirements to tow the trailer with the exception of the mirrors. The whole reason to use that vehicle was the cool factor, and I just couldn't figure out functional mirrors without killing the cool. We then went to a '67 C10 stepside which also had some miniature car mirrors that I swapped out for some OEM style mid size mirrors that kept the vibe, but functioned well while towing. Our latest trailer needed a bigger truck, so we just ordered one that was ready to go, but not much cool. The new trucks towing mirrors are so large, I had to learn to look around them when going forward. There are blind spots large enough to hide pedestrians.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Our 2015 F150 has the standard mirrors. We towed our 19 for a year with them and these mirrors were just fine with one exception. The convex glass on the right hand mirror made maneuvering the trailer close to obstacles on that side a little tricky. Ford has no flat replacement glass for the right hand mirror so we acquired a set of the FIT mirrors and the problem was solved.
etuna is offline   Reply With Quote