FJ Cruiser replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
FJ Cruiser replacement

Really cool rear hatch.....Toyota FT-4X Concept Previews FJ Cruiser Successor » AutoGuide.com News
Old 04-12-2017, 12:04 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Interesting. However they don't show if the back doors open. And only a 4 cylinder engine? Yeah, don't think so. I want a bit more umph than that! And I can definitely see the FJ in some of their design.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Interesting. However they don't show if the back doors open. And only a 4 cylinder engine? Yeah, don't think so. I want a bit more umph than that! And I can definitely see the FJ in some of their design.
There are about 6 pictures with the rear open, either sideways or flip up, 2 way opening rear hatch is very unique.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
but does it tow?
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
but does it tow?
According to information on the internet the 2017 FJ has a towing capacity of 1500 kg or 3300 lbs.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
According to information on the internet the 2017 FJ has a towing capacity of 1500 kg or 3300 lbs.
The FJ Cruiser has not been sold in North America since 2014 model year. Any details you may see for current FJ's would be for those sold offshore.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
There are about 6 pictures with the rear open, either sideways or flip up, 2 way opening rear hatch is very unique.
Ooo, I should have said "side" doors, not back - thanks for that catch. yeah, I really like how those back doors open. That's one of the things I really love about my FJ is how the back door opens to the side. I really don't like those that lift up (as I've gotten water down me when lifting the Tundra's canopy door - ack!).
Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #8

The FJ Cruiser is my all time favorite.. it's a little thing that tows a lot (5000lb) and goes virtually everywhere stock, great clearance and not too big to drive. I was really sad when we lost our FJ and the replacement for the function(s) I want turns out to be two vehicles - basically an offroad truck and a tow vehicle..

That said being a fan of square truck I'd probably still buy this even if it doesn't tow
Old 04-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
The FJ Cruiser is my all time favorite.. it's a little thing that tows a lot (5000lb) and goes virtually everywhere stock, great clearance and not too big to drive. I was really sad when we lost our FJ and the replacement for the function(s) I want turns out to be two vehicles - basically an offroad truck and a tow vehicle..

That said being a fan of square truck I'd probably still buy this even if it doesn't tow
There are a few of us on this site who still tow with an FJ Cruiser. Here is mine:

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
There are a few of us on this site who still tow with an FJ Cruiser. Here is mine:

Now if I could only get the youngest to sell hers to me . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Good luck with that Pat.

We decided to go with the Tundra for pulling the 21 as many times I'm gonna be using it for venting at shows and I'll be loading the back of that truck with lots of stuff. Adds up in weight. I'd never be able to do that with the FJ unless I went with a much smaller trailer, which we didn't want to do.

At one time I offered to sell the FJ to help finance the Tundra. Dirk knows how much I love it, but he declined. Whew! It's my usual vehicle for driving around and the Tundra is for pulling.

My 2010 FJ replaced my 1989 Isuzu Trooper, which I also loved driving. Such visibility! Not quite to that level of likeness/love with the Tundra, although I feel very comfortable driving it.

But, yeah, gonna keep an eye on that Toyota concept FJ-wannabe.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Whenever ETI comes out with this design, I'll be the first in line...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0393.JPG  
Old 04-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Whenever ETI comes out with this design, I'll be the first in line...
You can always build one yourself: Volkswagen Beetle Camper Transforms Beloved Car into a Bug Camper
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Good luck with that Pat.

We decided to go with the Tundra for pulling the 21 as many times I'm gonna be using it for venting at shows and I'll be loading the back of that truck with lots of stuff. Adds up in weight. I'd never be able to do that with the FJ unless I went with a much smaller trailer, which we didn't want to do.

At one time I offered to sell the FJ to help finance the Tundra. Dirk knows how much I love it, but he declined. Whew! It's my usual vehicle for driving around and the Tundra is for pulling.

My 2010 FJ replaced my 1989 Isuzu Trooper, which I also loved driving. Such visibility! Not quite to that level of likeness/love with the Tundra, although I feel very comfortable driving it.

But, yeah, gonna keep an eye on that Toyota concept FJ-wannabe.
I can keep trying . It's her second . I can't remember if it's a 2012 or 2013 . It would tow the 19 easy . Very low mileage almost new . She just drives to work and back . Pat
Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
However they don't show if the back doors open.
In the photos it looks like the rear side doors are front-hinged (normal, not like the FJ Cruiser) and have the handle up on the rear edge at window height (in the C-pillar, in automotive terms).

I assume that the double-hinged rear doors/hatch exist only in computer graphics, and have no chance of making it to production; it is achieved by mounting the glass side-hinged doors in a top-hinged frame, which would be expensive, heavy, and weak. The glass all the way to the bottom of these doors also seems unlikely, but is a great design feature for the show vehicle.

I like the slide-out floor and underfloor bin. The deep rear quarter window (on the left side only in images on the turntable, both sides in the interior images) looks cool but is nonsensical.

Overall, it looks like the design brief was something like "what would an FJ Cruiser designed by a space movie set designer look like?" I like it, although some resulting features are silly. Fortunately, the letters "FJ" are not in the name; even the "FJ Cruiser" really doesn't look much like a real FJ Land Cruiser.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #16

Quote:
And only a 4 cylinder engine? Yeah, don't think so. I want a bit more umph than that!
The engine listed for a concept vehicle often has little relationship to what is offered in the actual production vehicle, if it ever appears. Also, there are 4-cylinder turbocharged engines with higher power output than any 6-cylinder engine sold so far in a Toyota truck. Ford's EcoBoost 2.3L 4-cylinder puts out 310 hp (231 kW) @ 5,500 rpm and 320 lb·ft (434 N·m) @ 3,000 rpm in a Mustang. The number of cylinders doesn't mean much by itself.

From the article:
Quote:
Unfortunately, Toyota didn’t go into very much detail about the powertrain, but did hint it would take advantage of a low-displacement, four-cylinder engine.
This means that the concept vehicle is a styling and packaging study, with no plan for production in this form, and that Toyota acknowledges the current trend to more power but with fewer cylinders.

Also, the provided specifications indicate a significantly smaller vehicle than the FJ Cruiser.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #17

Although some publications bill this as an FJ Cruiser replacement, functionally it is not. More technically oriented publications give more detail; for instance, Motor Trend, Toyota FT-4X Concept First Look: A Rolling Millennial Adventure Box. It is based on a current platform unrelated to Toyota's trucks and body-on-frame Land Cruisers.

Jalopnik makes a good comparison: this is Toyota's version of the Jeep Renegade. I don't think there's anything wrong with that if it fits your needs and wants, but it won't be a good tow vehicle for two-ton trailers.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #18

The FJ Cruiser is a surprisingly good vehicle and holds its value well... we were planning to tow the 19 with it, by the time it was a totaled we have 10 years on the truck and still has a lot of value in it.

I think this concept is a unibody that is made to look beefy (as mentioned, like a jeep renegade) but probably more of a crossover than a true offroad vehicle.. as much as the jeep renegade advertise that it can do offroad, I have no plan or intention to take it anywhere off pavement..

since I can not get a new FJ Cruiser anymore tho, I've given up trying to get a can-do-everything truck.. but it will still be interesting to see what it really looks like if it is turned into a reality.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Pat,
Don't let your ever-so-faithful F-series Escape tow vehicle hear you talk like that; it'll refuse to start, and just block the driveway!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Pat,
Don't let your ever-so-faithful F-series Escape tow vehicle hear you talk like that; it'll refuse to start, and just block the driveway!
I know Don I do love that truck . I need to love the one I'm with . Pat