For 21’: snow tires or snow chains? On 2 or 4 tires? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question For 21’: snow tires or snow chains? On 2 or 4 tires?

Hi all

this winter we drive up to ETI to get our 2017 21’

I believe that there may be areas on the 5 freeway south that we may well need to have tire chains (or tire cables?) with us. Maybe not on the tires, but with us.

It is my understanding that we’ll need chains for not only our tug (AWD Acura MDX that has snow rated tires on it - yes, I checked) but also for the Escape 21’

ETI told me that the 21’ has brakes on BOTH axles, not just one axle.

Yes, we’ll stop and wait out bad weather, or drive around (out to the coast) to avoid the bad weather

But just in case we just need to have the chains (or cables)

From what I can find out the links below show the “cheapies” that people have recommended here.

My questions are:

Does anyone happen to know if, in the eyes of the Hyway Patrol in WA, OR and CA, that snow CABLES are as good as snow CHAINS? (in terms of having to have them with us)

and… if we have to have snow chains/cables with us, would I need one pair, or two pairs?

I read recently that any trailer wheel that has brakes would need chains/cables, so if that is true, then I’d need 2 pairs, not one. (as per ETI telling me that both axles on a 21’ have brakes)

Thanks!

John

for the 21’s ST205-75R-15 tires:

Peerless Passenger Chains: *#0113810*
Meets SAE Class “S” Clearance Requirements
*Chain Tighteners Required.
$40/pair
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-...hains/19853266

plus tighteners: (required)
Peerless Passenger Car Rubber Chain Tightener (2 Tightners per Pack), #2007030
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-...tener/19853288

OR

Cables: **Peerless #0175355*
$32/pair
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-...ables/19853272
Meets SAE Class “S” Clearance Requirements

(no chain tighteners required)
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
You won't need chains or cables on I-5 in washington as it never gets above 1000ft and if there is snow on it no one is going anywhere, the state literally shuts down. For the passes (I90 and US2) cables are considered to be fine as chains. I don't know about OR/CA where you actually might see snow on I5
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
In California and Oregon you only need chains on one of the trailer axles. You must put chains on one of the drive axles of the tow vehicle if towing a trailer and chain restrictions are up, even if you have 4WD.

California

Oregon

For Washington, going down I-5 there are no passes to worry about.

For both California and Oregon, "Chains" means any type of traction device, including cables, except for 18-wheelers which may sometimes require link chains.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We usually are heading South in Jan. We've never carried chains and have always been aware that the requirement for chains could be posted in the event of a snow event. We've always accepted that, in the event of a major snow dump, that we'd sit it out and wait until the highway was clear.

I guess we've been lucky, we've never had to wait out road clearing etc. But, since this topic has come up twice now in a few days I might just start looking for a couple of inexpensive sets, just in case.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One the very rare chance I would hit a need for chains, I would likely just wait it out too. If I really needed to drive through, I might reluctantly buy chains.

I understand that they are required in some places, but I have driven in winter road conditions for 45 years now, and have never owned them. Sure, there were a couple times it would have been nice, but if we were to carry things "just in case" we certainly could load up our vehicles with lots of weight.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I hate snow chains. I'm a long time (former) downhill skier and spent a whole bunch of my younger life driving in the snow to go skiing. I've seen the damage done when a chain lets go and slaps a motor vehicle, I can't imagine the damage to a fiberglass wheel well and the side of the trailer, I'd cry!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
You won't need chains or cables on I-5 in washington as it never gets above 1000ft and if there is snow on it no one is going anywhere, the state literally shuts down. For the passes (I90 and US2) cables are considered to be fine as chains. I don't know about OR/CA where you actually might see snow on I5
Thanks everyone for all the great info, as always. Much appreciated!

and....

According to Donna D [edit - who just posted right before this post]

- from another thread, she said that I may well be required to carry chains... depending on what signs are up.

" Three passes to keep an eye on in Oregon during this time are:
Stage Road Pass (south of Roseburg)
Sexton Summit (Merlin)
and the Siskiyoues on the OR/CA border

it's very unusual for either of the first two passes to close, but not unusual for the Siskiyoues. The road crews do an excellent job and the longest I can remember in (recent) memory I-5 south was closed was 3 days. But that was like in... 2012, maybe? Usually it's only closed for a few hours, but chains would be required for all vehicles.

Keep an eye on TripCheck!"

As Walmart has a 90 day (if unused) return policy I think i'll order one set of tire cables for the Escape, and just carry with me, as insurance, and if they are unused i'll return after we get home with the Escape.

According to this - I'd just need them for one axle, not both, on the Escape, at least in OR.

https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/mini...quirements.asp
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
but if we were to carry things "just in case" we certainly could load up our vehicles with lots of weight.
Yup, that's my middle name, Justincase. Spare tools, heck half my workshop if I could and spares, did I mention spares? I guess years of cruising without any facilities even remotely available made me want to always be self-sufficient. Most of the time the stuff isn't needed, but on occasion I'm happy to have the stuff.

Sometimes a fellow boater/camper will come over and ask somewhat hopefully, "do you happen to have a...." and I'm able to make their day by saying yes.

Extra weight, yes, but I can't help it, it's ingrained now.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Spare tools, heck half my workshop if I could and spares, did I mention spares? I guess years of cruising without any facilities even remotely available made me want to always be self-sufficient...
There's a solution for running out of space and weight capacity in the trailer... tow with one of these:

You can even get a composite service body, to go with the fiberglass trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, that's my middle name, Justincase. Spare tools, heck half my workshop if I could and spares, did I mention spares? I guess years of cruising without any facilities even remotely available made me want to always be self-sufficient. Most of the time the stuff isn't needed, but on occasion I'm happy to have the stuff.

Sometimes a fellow boater/camper will come over and ask somewhat hopefully, "do you happen to have a...." and I'm able to make their day by saying yes.

Extra weight, yes, but I can't help it, it's ingrained now.

Ron
*makes plans to follow Ron on his trips...just in case*
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote