Ford F150 and a 5.0 - Do I need tow mirrors? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2022, 08:35 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Ford F150 and a 5.0 - Do I need tow mirrors?

Hi all
T-13 days and counting before we collect our 5.0 at ETI. We have a '22 Ford F150 with stock mirrors. For those of you with the same rig, are you using tow mirrors? I plan on getting aftermarket, Ford tow mirrors later but for this trip I was hoping to go with the standard ones. I have clip on mirrors I used on another rig but they do not fit the F150. Sure don't want to go out and buy new clip on mirrors, but then I want to be safe as well.

Thanks
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:15 PM   #2

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Hi all
T-13 days and counting before we collect our 5.0 at ETI. We have a '22 Ford F150 with stock mirrors. For those of you with the same rig, are you using tow mirrors? I plan on getting aftermarket, Ford tow mirrors later but for this trip I was hoping to go with the standard ones. I have clip on mirrors I used on another rig but they do not fit the F150. Sure don't want to go out and buy new clip on mirrors, but then I want to be safe as well.

Thanks
We just pulled our new 21C with our 2016 F150 4x4 with stock mirrors from Sumas, Wa to St. Louis, MO and never missed needing/having/wanting wider mirrors.

I thought about buying some clip ons before the trip but I'm glad I didn't. Never needed them in the least.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
IMO you'll be fine with your standard mirrors paying attention to your surroundings. Remember that with the power adjustment you can change your field of view on the fly if desired.

I have the Ford Trailer Tow mirrors on both of my F150's (2005 & 2022) and do very much appreciate them both for daily driving (especially the large convex lower section) and when towing my 5.0; they certainly increase one's useful field of vision.

But I would not classify them as a 'necessity' with our 7'-4" wide 5.0 trailers on a full-size truck; especially since 'you' are "we" so you've got extra eyes on the road and for spotting when backing (I'm a solo traveler so lack that advantage).

Your travel from Sumas to ABQ will give you ample opportunity to learn if a different mirror arrangement is something you'll want to pursue (FWIW I'd make that trip with the standard mirrors before pursuing other options).

Congrats on your new rig and happy travels!
Old 12-22-2022, 09:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 5.0
I have a '22 F150 with the tow mirrors and picked up my 5.0 in November. My experience so far has been that the tow mirrors may be a plus but are not necessary. Good luck with your trip.
Chacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I have a GMC Canyon with tow mirrors that I installed. The Canyon is at least 6 inches narrower than a F150. I find that I don’t need to extend my tow mirrors, because they stick out a few inches further than stock.

I’d say you don’t need them, your truck is wide enough.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:22 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We have an F150. Do you "NEED" wider mirrors. No, but often we go a mile or so from the campground when I realize the clamp-on mirrors aren't attached. Since 2015 we've easily gone 50,000 miles with these mirrors, but they aren't available that I can see anymore. So while not needed, the extra vision sure is nice, especially in crowded freeways in urban areas.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have the slip on mirrors on my Ram, I can see down both sides of trailer while towing, eliminates the worry about tire issues while under tow.
Old 12-22-2022, 07:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
We have a 2020 Ram 1500 and an Escape 5.0. I bought the color matched tow mirrors that snap over the existing mirrors. Used them for one trip and haven't had them back on since. The escape is so nice to tow and I can see around the trailer without towing mirrors.
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I really like the Ford factory towing mirrors on my f250. I actually got replacement ones that are based on the later f250 mirror design but wired to directly connect and fit on my earlier F-250. Yes I can drive the truck and tow the trailer without extending the mirrors, but that couple inches of extension gives you much better visibility of the blind spot directly behind the trailer. And the 2008 style mirrors I have, the wide angle patch is much bigger and really helps with the blind spot alongside the truck. These replacement mirrors are trail ridge brand, and I got them from A1 Auto, which is a website that sells car accessory stuff. They're a little tricky in that these Ford replacement mirrors come in it dozen almost identical versions, you want to get the ones that have features that match what your truck already has like power extend or not, mirror-based turn signals or not, etc. You can get mirrors and have more features but then you have to add the wiring and switches to control them and I'm too lazy for that, so my mirrors are manual extend, manual fold, but have power adjustment for the main mirrors, because that's what my truck came with as part of the XLT package
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I’ve got regular small factory mirrors on my 2010 Silverado and find that to be just fine when towing my 5.0
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Appreciate all of the responses. Going to stay with the stock mirrors for this trip and maybe invest in tire chains for the trip up north!
Old 12-23-2022, 03:07 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
here are the Trail Ridge towing mirrors I installed on my F250... the original towing mirror is on the left.

this is in 'normal' configuration, it pulls out about 3" wider. These mirrors take about 15 minutes each to install with just a couple hand tools, and are the same quality as the Ford original mirrors. Even for everyday driving without towing, the new mirror gives a much better view of my huge blind spots (8' longbed, and a shell on the truck).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I also tow my 5.0 with my stock mirrors on my F150 (as seen in the photo). There are some times when I would have liked to see what a particular vehicle was doing in behind me, however, I also find that having the smaller mirrors forces me to really pay attention to what's going on behind my fifth wheel as I'm towing; it's really good to keep the situational awareness up.

I'm also fortunate to always have my wife with me so whenever I back up, I always make certain that she's back there keeping an eye out for me. If I was travelling alone I would install a back-up camera for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4254.jpg  
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:40 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Just chiming in to say the standard mirrors are fine. If I were ordering a new truck I’d get the tow mirrors, but I haven't yet upgraded my standard ones.

Also, John is right that TrailRidge makes a good product. We used them to upgrade mirrors on our kid’s Frontier and it was an easy job with great results.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have towing mirrors on my F-150 and they were stock on a bunch of different F-250 and F-350s I owned. I would not like to be without them. They offer a fantastic rear view. The convex mirrors at the bottom are large and you can see absolutely everything, including your blind spot.

I'm sorry, but those small mirrors many use look so tiny and I just don't care for them in a pickup. But then, never needed a backup camera and would not waste money on one. We all differ.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 07:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have towing mirrors on my F-150 and they were stock on a bunch of different F-250 and F-350s I owned. I would not like to be without them. They offer a fantastic rear view. The convex mirrors at the bottom are large and you can see absolutely everything, including your blind spot.

I'm sorry, but those small mirrors many use look so tiny and I just don't care for them in a pickup. But then, never needed a backup camera and would not waste money on one. We all differ.
Jim I agree with the camera, one came on our 2016 but I never use it. In fact the antenna came off, guess I should replace it when we sell it, hopefully many years from now. I drove my son's Honda CRV today cannot believe how small the mirrors are compared to the F150.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:38 PM   #17
Site Team

Thanks for all of the replies. We just returned to Albuquerque, NM from Chilliwack BC with our new 5.0 in tow. At first I thought, oh yah, the stock mirrors are just fine. But after 1500+ miles and my wife driving as well, we will definitely get some tow mirrors installed. There were a number of times when a better view behind us would have been helpful.
Old 01-07-2023, 10:09 PM   #18

Congratulations on your new trailer and safe return home.

It's hard to beat a decision informed by personal experience.

There have already been some good aftermarket suggestions, just FYI there's also these OEM Ford Accessory mirrors, a competent Ford dealer can help select the specific version which will preserve your side-view 360-degree cams (integrated in the mirror base) and BLIS alerts (integrated in the mirror glass) if you have either or both of those OE options on your 2022 F150.

Happy Trailering!
Old 01-09-2023, 07:42 AM   #19
Site Team

Thanks, Centex. I will probably go with the Ford factory mirrors since we received a voucher for accessory discount when we purchased the truck.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
..... I will probably go with the Ford factory mirrors since we received a voucher for accessory discount when we purchased the truck.
If you have any FordPass Rewards points those can also be applied toward the purchase at a dealer.

Also it doesn't hurt to ask if the dealer will match any current discount offers for online accessory orders - some will (mine has in the past), some won't.