Ford Ranger - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Sometimes a malicious browser extension, a toolbar, or other item won't be picked up by a scan. Check which extensions are installed on your browser. If any are 3rd party, get rid of them.

In any case, Yahoo.com is not redirecting you or causing the popup.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Sometimes a malicious browser extension, a toolbar, or other item won't be picked up by a scan. Check which extensions are installed on your browser. If any are 3rd party, get rid of them.

In any case, Yahoo.com is not redirecting you or causing the popup.
Okay, thanks Robert. I'll get my son to hop onto the computer remotely tonight and check it out, he's a software developer for the University of Victoria, me I'm computer illiterate when it comes to this kind of thing!
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #23

Trailer: April 2015, 21 classic
I am excited the field is getting more populated with mid sized pickup-trucks, engines and transmission combinations. And I will be in the market in another year or two or three as my 2011 Tacoma has turned 100,000. IMHO, just like cars I buy though, I never get a first year model change. These companies sometimes have bugs to work out and I don't want to be the crash test dummy. But the prospects of what is coming along appears exciting, better mpg and still safe and comfortable.
Patrol35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
I got halfway through reading the page and then I was redirected to a bogus page saying I was needing to download a program to stop passwords being stolen on my computer. I shutdown the computer and then restarted and scanned for malware and viruses and my computer came up clean. I'm running Chrome.
Barry
Yeah be careful if you go to that page. Got redirected to another site and was told I would be paid if I participated in a survey. And I don't have any third party extensions
Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Yeah be careful if you go to that page. Got redirected to another site and was told I would be paid if I participated in a survey. And I don't have any third party extensions
Again, there's nothing wrong with that webpage. If you're being redirected or have popups, it's caused by something on your computer, not Yahoo. An extension is only one possibility, but there are many others.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Back to the truck...

The most controversial aspect of the new Ranger appears to be the choice of a relatively small and 4-cylinder but turbocharged engine. About that...
Road&Track: How Ford Modified the Focus RS's Engine for Ranger Duty
Still no output numbers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Mike Lewis... Looks to me like selecting a new tug is getting tougher and tougher. 2019 looks to be a banner year for trucks of all styles and sizes, but will they be suitable to tow a small lighter weight 5th. wheel. Our Frontier is fast approaching 100K miles, 160Km's but still runs like a Swiss watch. Up on the north shore of Lake Erie what I'd like in a F 150 approaches 57K in brass bucks. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Hi Escape Artist. I am looking for my TV. And I must say I am strongly leaning toward the Frontier. I know it is old school in the new truck world, but a good part of me appreciates that. I am thinking proven technology might be a safer bet than the new 8 speed and 10 speed technology, at least at this stage. Some experiences I have had with the newest and greatest technology has proven out to be not that great. Actually in some cases a disaster. I hear a lot of complaints with the new Tacoma and also the GM twins, particularly in their first couple of years, with frustrating transmissions, always trying to achieve the best mileage, but making the ride annoying.

Just wondering how you find your transmission pulling your trailer.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Hi Escape Artist. I am looking for my TV. And I must say I am strongly leaning toward the Frontier. I know it is old school in the new truck world, but a good part of me appreciates that. I am thinking proven technology might be a safer bet than the new 8 speed and 10 speed technology, at least at this stage. Some experiences I have had with the newest and greatest technology has proven out to be not that great. Actually in some cases a disaster. I hear a lot of complaints with the new Tacoma and also the GM twins, particularly in their first couple of years, with frustrating transmissions, always trying to achieve the best mileage, but making the ride annoying.

Just wondering how you find your transmission pulling your trailer.
Hi: Sean Murry... I use my truck...I don't abuse it!!! I usually tow at around 2000 rpm.( 60- 65 mph) If the terrain is rolling hills or mtns. I lock out OD. The revs might go up to 2500- 3000 for short duration's. We now have 157,000 Kms or close to 100,000 Miles on the truck, mostly towing, and I still have the OEM fluid in the trans. If my mechanic says it's fine we leave it in there. I still have the original spark plugs in it too!!! My "Service engine soon" light comes on for a while and goes off again so I know it's working also. The truck runs fine light or no light!!!
I'm from the "Old school" myself. "If it ain't broke... don't fix it"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040542.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The most controversial aspect of the new Ranger appears to be the choice of a relatively small and 4-cylinder but turbocharged engine.
For those questioning this small turbo engine choice, I'll note that GM has just announced that the Silverado 1500 (their full-sized "1/2 ton" pickup) will be available with a 2.7 L turbocharged 4-cylinder (essentially equivalent to a 17% larger EcoBoost 2.3).
The New Four-Cylinder Silverado Makes More Power Than a V8 From 2013
Confirmed: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Gets Optional Turbocharged Four-Cylinder Engine

Amusingly, this means that the "full-size" Silverado will be available with an engine smaller than any engine available in the "mid-size" Colorado (although of course the turbocharger makes a huge difference).
Old 05-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #30
Site Team

Brian, I'm curious. What do you think of a 2.7L 4 cylinder vs a 2.7L 6 cylinder such as my EcoBoost? The 4 would obviously have much larger cylinders. Based on the specs at the link, the 4 cylinder will have plenty of torque, but I'm wondering which design would be better for towing, and which would hold up better. Is there an inherent advantage, with the same displacement, in having 4 larger or 6 smaller cylinders?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Brian, I'm curious. What do you think of a 2.7L 4 cylinder vs a 2.7L 6 cylinder such as my EcoBoost? The 4 would obviously have much larger cylinders. Based on the specs at the link, the 4 cylinder will have plenty of torque, but I'm wondering which design would be better for towing, and which would hold up better. Is there an inherent advantage, with the same displacement, in having 4 larger or 6 smaller cylinders?
Larger cylinders are a disadvantage for performance at high engine speed, but none of these engines turn fast enough for that to be a concern. For perspective, keep in mind that the cylinders of a 2.7L four are the same size as a 5.4L V8, which is generally considered entirely reasonable. If there is a performance difference between the GM and Ford engines, it is likely a detailed design and tuning choice, rather than a result of the number of cylinders.

The other issue with four (big) cylinders instead of six is vibration, but large four-cylinders have used balance shafts to handle this for many years; originally that only meant over 2.5 litres, but now even 2.0 litre engines have them. Of course balance shafts mean more complication and mechanical drag, but Porsche found long ago (in developing the 944) that the extra friction of the balance shafts was less than the extra friction of two extra cylinders, and modern balance shaft designs are very simple and reliable.

The exhaust note of an even-firing six-cylinder is preferable (an inline-six is ideal but a 60-degree V6 such as Ford's EcoBoost sixes works fine), but that's just a personal preference thing.

Of course a four puts all the power through only four pistons, four connecting rods, and four bearings to the crank, but all of those components are larger so it's not a concern. Heavy commercial trucks run up to 700 horsepower, work hard much of the time, and have only six cylinders.

Aside from the obvious advantages to engine size and weight, fewer larger cylinders have an efficiency advantage due to lower surface area losing heat. That might be a reason for GM's choice, but was probably about weight, packaging, and commonality of engines in production.

While a highly boosted engine is always a concern, I think either configuration can work fine.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 PM   #32
Site Team

Your comment about the straight 6 reminded me of my 260Z when I was stationed in Okinawa back in the 80s. Gads, what an engine. I miss that car. My two favorite engines ever were that straight 6 L Series and the 13B Wankel Rotary in my RX-7.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my daily driver is a 3.2L straight 6 DOHC Mercedes sweeet smooooth engine. 1993 300CE Cabriolet.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Your comment about the straight 6 reminded me of my 260Z when I was stationed in Okinawa back in the 80s. Gads, what an engine. I miss that car. My two favorite engines ever were that straight 6 L Series and the 13B Wankel Rotary in my RX-7.
There are a substantial number of fans of the Datsun L-Series - both 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder - who still build, drive, and race them. A friend of mine is currently building a Datsun 620 pickup and is seriously considering a performance build of an engine with a Z24 block and L20B head... a 1983 block with a 1974 head! I have suggested a current Nissan engine, which would put out more power in stock form than any streetable Z/L hybrid could, but he's not interested.

While engine technology moves ahead, and some auto buyers appreciate the changes, there is a lot of public bias based on half-century-old engine designs and performance. With current smaller direct-injection turbocharged engines, manufacturers (including Ford and GM in these examples) are gambling that objective improvements outweigh traditional preferences. They are also counting on getting the new engines right, which doesn't always happen. In a market where many people insist "it's not a real truck unless is has..." followed by a list of various technical characteristics, it's certainly risky.