Friction Sway control plate Mounting? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very interesting points, I would have thought the factory hitch would have been the best, but it appears for some units, it was not.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:45 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"Hidden Hitch" is a specific brand name, and it doesn't belong to Curt. You are talking about installing a typical aftermarket hitch receiver, of any brand as long as it is made for your specific vehicle and is rated both Class 3 and for weight-distributing use. That is necessary for anyone wanting to use WD with this generation ("N210"; 2002–2009) of 4Runner.
Yes, for only the early 2003 V8’s and the V6 models as I stated in a post following yours. All other V8 models can use WDH with the stock hitch. The issue is the lesser “weight-carrying” hitch (although rated for 5000#/500#TW) is only bolted to a rear cross member. Toyota is apparently concerned with the forces on this hitch with a WDH set up.

While first ones were delivered in Oct 2002 the 4th gen 4Runners are MY 2003-2009.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #23

I am not implying using WDH will "tear" apart the 4Runner frame. It will put more stress on the last crossmember, which, over time an be a problem.

I am using the term "hidden hitch" for an aftermarket hitch. Mine happens to be a Curt.

Specs on the hitch state the new tongue weight limit is now 550 pounds versus 500 on the factory hitch. Total weight is still 5000 pounds though I've read in the 4Runner forum that the full frame hitch ups the weight limit to 6500.

With our E19 we are within limits.

What I did notice is that the WDH does dampen any porpoising rather quickly.

As i stated earlier, using an aftermarket hitch allows us to keep the 4Runner, which is an early model with a V8.

Mileage seemed the same as when towing the 17 ft Casitas.
DakotaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Hidden Hitch is a brand name for a receiver, not a description.
I have a HH that they rate at 4000/400, but that doesn't increase my RAV4's tow capacity. It remains at 3500/350. The actual rating is whatever is the lowest number of the components.
Read the label. Pic is from my weight distribution hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
WDHitch capacity.jpg  
Old 03-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaSue View Post
Specs on the hitch state the new tongue weight limit is now 550 pounds versus 500 on the factory hitch. Total weight is still 5000 pounds though I've read in the 4Runner forum that the full frame hitch ups the weight limit to 6500.
As Glenn said it is the lowest rated component that drives it. If your current hitch is rated at 5000# I would only consider towing more weight with a different full frame hitch rated appropriately like this one by Draw-Tite. This one has a towing weight rating with a WDH that matches the 4Runner 2WD V8 towing maximum exactly at 7300#.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...cleID=20053932

Quote:
With our E19 we are within limits.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... I've read in the 4Runner forum that the full frame hitch ups the weight limit to 6500.
You don't need the forum - that is clearly stated and explained in the owner's manual.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #27

I did not realize the forum was so regulated in terms of questions from first-time Escape owners.

A used tow vehicle does not always have the manual in the glove box.

Pardon my waste of everyone's valuable time and knowledge.

I bow to the Senior Member of the Forum's expertise and comments.

Aloha
DakotaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:08 PM   #28

Quote:

Aloha

You can find most manuals on-line if you don't have one. Appears you didn't like the answers you got.

Ciao
Old 03-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sue- congratulations on the new to you Gen1 Escape 19!

And I certainly understand your frustration with responses to what you meant to be a helpful post.

Just realize that Brian seems to be black & white with technical aspects and is actually very well informed, yet for whatever reason seems to have a bias against WDH.

As for Baglo; well he's Baglo, and not much we can do. Just be glad he's not a moderator anymore!
Old 03-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've made the effort to get as many manuals online and downloaded to my laptop for both my truck and Ten Forward. Why? Because the hard copies reside in the truck and in the trailer. I'm in the house and the trailer is stored away from home.

It's just easier for me in the long run. Might be for you too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Just realize that Brian seems to be black & white with technical aspects and is actually very well informed...
Very well informed indeed. Only rarely does he have a miss (he is human) but he owns up to it. Like me he is intolerant to misinformation. Like it or not it is what makes this forum such a great technical reference. Read an entire thread or two on your topic of choice and you probably have a good answer.

Quote:
True. When I bought mine it didn’t have one. I insisted that as part of the deal that the dealer provide one. I had to press them but they eventually mailed it to me. As others have said they are also online. This should be the correct page for you but there are a few different versions probably based on the hitch differences mentioned, etc.
https://www.toyota.com/owners/resour...s/4runner/2003
Old 03-23-2020, 01:26 AM   #32

Quote:
I did not realize the forum was so regulated in terms of questions from first-time Escape owners.
I don't know what "regulation" you are referring to. The answers you got are unrelated to how long (or whether) you have have owned an Escape, and no one suggested that you not ask the questions.

Quote:
True. If your challenge is that you don't have a manual, you could have asked how to get one. As Glenn noted, it is likely available on-line, and I would have happily provided a link. My point was just that it is not necessary to depend on what forum members might happen to know, or rely on the accuracy of hearsay in a forum... the authoritative answer is readily available. Of course, having read the manual, the forum is a great place to discuss what the information in the manual means, and how to apply it towing your trailer.

Toyota manuals are available from the Toyota Owners site, including the manuals for the 2003 4Runner. With that vehicle selected, click on "Manuals & Warranties" to be offered several versions of the owner's manual (Toyota updates it through the year) as downloadable PDF files. There is a sign-in feature, but no account is required and there is no need to sign in to see the manuals. This gets you the same material as the direct link from Dave (rubicon327), but can be used to find manuals for any Toyota model for the last couple of decades.

The above link is to the Toyota USA website; Toyota Canada also offers the manuals. I listed the U.S. site, guessing at the location of the forum member with the questions, but it doesn't matter much which one is used because Toyota's manuals are generally a single version for both Canada and the U.S.

Quote:
Pardon my waste of everyone's valuable time and knowledge.

I bow to the Senior Member of the Forum's expertise and comments.

Aloha
No one suggested that you were wasting anyone's time or knowledge. On the other hand, if any of us make technically incorrect statements, we should be prepared to have them challenged.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Just realize that Brian seems to be black & white with technical aspects and is actually very well informed, yet for whatever reason seems to have a bias against WDH.
Well, someone has to balance the blind devotion to WDH expressed by some members

But seriously... I am actually fascinated by WDH system design and operation. I think that the more one understands about the dynamics of the linked system of tow vehicle and trailer, the more one appreciates that there is no single "correct" answer to the question of what hitch configuration to use... and that there are often multiple acceptable answers.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... and that there are often multiple acceptable answers.

The forum exists to provide answers. Not sure why some feel it necessary to turn it into a competition.

I'm looking forward to Brian B-P's comprehensive analysis of weight distribution hitches.

He has tried to explain to me before, but I will willingly read whatever further contribution he makes on the subject.