Frontal Area - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
It just occurred to me that my avatar picture is a interesting example.
So, we have 10'x16' frontal area, very flat, and 4400 HP.
Comments?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's not going to fly.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
It just occurred to me that my avatar picture is a interesting example.
So, we have 10'x16' frontal area, very flat, and 4400 HP.
Comments?
It would work pretty well - if we all wanted to go to the same place at the same time. And since it seems like almost all RV parks are next to tracks and a major highway, having to go where the rails do is probably not a limitation.

Imagine a train with several hundred Escapes, criss-crossing North America. AND we could travel inside our trailers, looking out the windows.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
There is a pattern of your responses that I am very uncomfortable with, and I notice other people are too.

Second request, as a Site Team person please try not to show your heavy bias. I think of the Site Team as a 'lubricant' making things go smoother and adding to healthy discussions.
Seriously, you think a moderator should not be allowed an opinion? I totally disagree. If they can't participate in the forum, other that to 'lubricate' things, it would be a very boring volunteer position. As a moderator on FGRV I state an opinion lots of times, always making sure it is in no way a personal attack on someone. If you had of made this post on FGRV, rest assured it would be deleted. If you have issues with anyone, and especially a site team member, respectfully use PMs to discuss.

OH man, I can't believe I am actually defending baglo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I hesitate to ever comment on heated threads. But TO ME, any blanket statements on frontal area would seem very hard to be accurate.
It seems to me that it is being used as an excuse to justify a big truck, instead of a mid sized SUV. Using an SUV is the reason many go with a lightweight trailer like the Escape, I know it was a factor for me.

I have towed into a few really strong headwinds with my Pilot, and have suffered no ill effect, other than finding it tough to keep up to the speed limit when it is 110 kph, and watching the fuel gauge slowly sink to 'E'.
Quote:
CTV site says: "Sorry, the video you have selected is not available for viewing outside of Canada." The humor must be to intellectual for us and only appropriate for

This post brought to you by The Smilies Thread.
ABOUT TIME!!!!

Retribution is ours, says the Canucklehead. Hundreds of times in the past I have clicked on links posted by American friends, and have been unable to view them, because to some that own the video rights, Canadians are viewed as pirating scum.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
It would work pretty well - if we all wanted to go to the same place at the same time. And since it seems like almost all RV parks are next to tracks and a major highway, having to go where the rails do is probably not a limitation.

Imagine a train with several hundred Escapes, criss-crossing North America. AND we could travel inside our trailers, looking out the windows.
As you may have figured by now, that Certainly works for me.
( now where are those railroad emoticons??)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
In the interest of 'lightening up' this thread, tell that to this guy:

I found a photo of a Corvette towing a (much smaller) trailer and sent it to a friend who owns a Corvette - he was not amused.

And since boats are so much easier to tow...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
This is exactly what the Escapees RV Club does. Loaded on to flatbed rail cars and off they go. Typically down into Mexico, once a year.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
One of the reasons that I appreciate the well rounded shape of the Escape is that I had a pretty graphic demonstration of the effect of a rounded shape vrs. the typical stickie flat wall.

A few years ago I wanted to tow my bike trailer to the land of sunshine with my Mazda B2300. I didn't want to put a camper on but I wanted a little more headroom and space than a canopy had. I took a junked F150 canopy, notched out the front and raised it. Took it on the highway for a try out. Even though I was expecting "to feel" it I was shocked. It was like hitting a brick wall just short of legal speed. It had no future.

I added a sloped front with rounded corners. Made several trips to CA without any problem. So, one more reason to appreciate an Escape.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Nov2006 004.jpg   May 12, 2007 004.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Loaded on to flatbed rail cars and off they go. Typically down into Mexico, once a year.
You can also go to Churchill Manitoba this way (typically to see polar bears) - with no road, it's the only practical way to get an RV there.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:34 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Frontal area is another reason to like a 5.0TA.
Every morning I enjoy a cup of "Hi Test" Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030688.jpg   P1030937.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: All... Frontal area is another reason to like a 5.0TA.
Alf escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Yah, but it's not as rounded as that Corner Gas mug. Where'd you get that?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:58 PM   #52

If any of you have flown an airplane you will respect the fact that weight and drag are very important issues. You load an airplane based on its capabilities. The smaller the plane the lower the weight etc. Same with a trailer. You load it evenly and power the unit properly. The load which equals weight and drag come into play dramatically when you want performance. You want to do 100 then your load/drag will wear out your transmission as well as the motor. Driving within the confines of your tug will go miles to giving you acceptable performance and minimal repairs. Streamlining reduces drag thus reducing load. The escape is probably the most streamlined unit available.
tmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #53

Trailer: Looking
Hi, I want to make sure that I understand the frontal area issue. The frontal area for a 15 foot escape is 43.5 sqft based on the H X W X .8: 8.16 X 6.66 x.8 = 43.5. I assume the .8 is for ground clearance. I found this formula on the web.

The manual for the Nissan Frontier says that the maximum frontal area should be 30 sqft.

Thanks
Jfocallag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
An employee former employee of mine grew up in Ralleigh Saskatchwan, where Corner Gas is filmed
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #55

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfocallag View Post
Hi, I want to make sure that I understand the frontal area issue. The frontal area for a 15 foot escape is 43.5 sqft based on the H X W X .8: 8.16 X 6.66 x.8 = 43.5. I assume the .8 is for ground clearance. I found this formula on the web.

The manual for the Nissan Frontier says that the maximum frontal area should be 30 sqft.

Thanks
No allotment for the rounded corners.
Using your formula, maybe 7.16 x 5.66 x .8 = 32.4
Old 12-20-2014, 07:21 PM   #56

Quote:

Thanks
Now I am really confused. The 2013 Frontier manual says it is 60?? Typo in 2014 and 15?
Old 12-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Now I am really confused. The 2013 Frontier manual says it is 60?? Typo in 2014 and 15?
Could this be the difference:

'The towing capacity is calculated using the SAE International SAE J2807 test method.' It is in the 2014 but not the 2013 manual.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #58

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I haven't had any luck finding it on any of my streaming services in the States -iTunes, Netflix or Amazon - but maybe the Canadian versions have it?
And, this is what I get on this side of the border when I click on Comedy Central US
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-12-20 at 9.33.49 PM.png  
Old 12-21-2014, 01:08 AM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yah, but it's not as rounded as that Corner Gas mug. Where'd you get that?

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... My son brought it back from the film set in Rouleau Sk. aka (Dog River). IMHO it's a national treasure!!! http://www.townofrouleau.com Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:33 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmorris View Post
The escape is probably the most streamlined unit available.
While Escape bodies are more rounded on the front than typical "box" RVs, I don't see any objective reason to believe that they are more streamlined (have lower aerodynamic drag) than a typical trailer (many of which have moulded fiberglass nose cones), let alone most trailers. The rounded rear corners are bad for aero, the overall shape doesn't have favourable characteristics (such as tapering slightly toward the tail), and the bottom does not have a smooth flush cover. The good feature is the rounded front corners, like all of the Trillium derivatives and less rounded than all of the Boler derivatives.

Perhaps the most frequently cited "low drag" trailer has been Airstream, which has a more rounded front than an Escape (how rounded depends on the vintage) and a flush bottom... but unfortunately a rounded tail as well.

Objective data about travel trailer aero drag is notably lacking, possibly because it depends so much on the tow vehicle, and no one has enough incentive to test a wide range of combinations.