Fuel economy with Escape 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Fuel economy with Escape 19'

Just came back 200 mile round trip weekend, managed 15.5 mpg towing with a Dodge Ram 4x4 BigHorn hemi with 6 speed auto. Did not use tow mode which cuts out o/d and keeps it in 5th. Terrain was hilly with some climbs to 1000 feet. Trailer was loaded with food and tanks were 25% full. I checked the tongue weight- 350#. Normal towing SOB is 12 mpg, normal driving is 12 mpg. Mid-range gas, 10,000 miles on odometer with cap on rear and 2 passengers and 2 dogs and 150 lbs in truck bed (grill/chairs/firewood)
Going to try another trip with Jeep Liberty v-6 to compare.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 17
Re: Fuel economy with Escape 19'

Does your truck manual have anything to say about towing a trailer in OD?
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

If I recall it says to use the "Tow/Haul" mode when there is constant up/down shifting of the transmission. Today there was little change so I kept it out. Sometimes, while going up/down mountains it helps to use tow mode and I can feel the engine braking going down hill. That was not needed today.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 17

Appreciate it, is that the Hemi that goes to 6 cylinder on the highway? That is a feature I would like to learn more on and read up about. Sure sounds nice. I was wondering if an engine like that would kick down to 6 cylinders towing a trailer. But even if not, it still would be nice for commutes while not towing. Thanks in advance and also for posting your MPG findings.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

I don't know if the dodge system is the same as the gm system for cylinder deactivation, but with the gm system i do know that the mileage gains are alot more from the variable valve timing than from the cylinder deactivation. unfortuantly the cylinder deactivation is more of a public relations thing without alot of real world gains, the variable valve timing is totaly cool and unfortunatly doesn't seem to get the attention that it deserves. For the most part to have the engine load light enough for cylinders to cut out and stay would require a long straight flat road with out any need to pass or accelerate.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

Actually the Hemi has both variable valve timing and it cuts back to 4 cylinders. See here
"The second generation 5.7 Hemi produced 390 horsepower and 407 lb-ft of torque in the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, using variable cam timing; it shuts off four cylinders when possible to get good mileage. "
I can tow sometimes with it in fuel saving mode, but only on flat roads/highways.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
JCZ

And I'm curious about the new Ford F-150 with the Eco Boost motor. I work with a guy that raves about the mileage that he gets however, he's not carried much of a load yet and I don't believe he's pulled any kind of trailer.

Look forward to your comparision Jim with the Jeep Liberty V6.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #8

The problem with the EcoBoost is the turbo. Very expensive to replace as well as maintenance. I had a turbo 4 cyl Jeep Liberty diesel, pulled like a v-8 and got close to 30 mpg. But you had to use synthetic oil $$$ and change it religiously $$$. Just my .02$ worth.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

the reliability of turbos has got alot better in recent years, I hink back to the 6.5 turbo days 15 years ago and we had to change lots of them and to be truthful they were junk. and although to the turbos in the duramax has been updated a couple of times they almost never fail without human stupidity. ie crappy aftermarket air filters . Although i have no experience with the ford turbos the technology has come along way
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
JCZ

Thanks Jim and Dmac. I did know about the history of the turbos years ago however, I'd heard that they have progressed considerably.

The same used to hold true for the superchargers too. However, I had a blower in the 02 Ford Harley truck. That thing would smoke those 20s and never had a problem with that motor.

I am a firm believer that with my vehicles, much like my tools, you take care of them and they take care of you. Having said that, I always bought the extended warranty on my Harleys and they always paid for theirselves several times over.

As for all my vehicles, I always use full synthetic and change them according to schedule.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #11

I have been driving my Dodge Laramie Long horn 1500, for over 30 thousand K so far and get good milage. So far this year we have been to Alaska twice, and a couple of locations maround here. Bush roads can be hard on fuel.

The truck through city and highway driving gets about 20 K per litre, when I am pulling the 19 I get around 17 K per litre.
I also have 118 litres in tha tank as well as 218 litres in a slip tank in the back of the truck as well as a 2KW generator.

Some of the mountain roads are quite steep, especialy coming out of Skagway. not so bad going to Haines

The engine in my truck is the Hemi 390 hp, that cuts down to 4 cylinders when on easier going, and around the city.

The 19 tracks well and is hardly noticable.
With all the weight My biggest worry is heat build up in the tires on a hot day, with all the weight in back.
Doug

Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #12

What do you mean by "20 K per litre"? If this means 20 kilometre per litre that also means 5 litres per 100 km... which is the standard way to speak about fuel consumption. And 5l/100km would be a FANTASTIC fuel consumption!!!! Better than most hybrid very small cars!
Dr_Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #13

Although I have never been to Alaska and I can understand fuel stations being far apart, with the factory stock 25 gal tank you have, adding another 60 gal tank would give you over a 1000 mile range?
Are they that far apart in Alaska?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Pax
What do you mean by "20 K per litre"?
I assume that YE means 20l/100km. That would be a somewhat reasonable real-world consumption.

BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #15

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

I've driven Alaska and Yukon / Northwest Territories and the gas stations with small villages are statically spaced so you can go from one to the other usually on a tank of gas in a typical Auto with out a loaded down trailer.Some are a little closer than others. What I did was carry a 20L can of gas full just in case. Because there was one or two stations that had gone out of business. I never used it but came close twice. When the fuel light comes on you tend to get a little anxious and to have some back up gives some piece of mind.
A good quality road map has the miles indicated between towns. I would sit with my morning coffee and add them up. Oh one more thing some gas stations are closed on Sundays and most close early 6 Pm.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just came back 200 mile round trip weekend, managed 15.5 mpg towing with a Dodge Ram 4x4 BigHorn hemi with 6 speed auto. Did not use tow mode which cuts out o/d and keeps it in 5th. Terrain was hilly with some climbs to 1000 feet. Trailer was loaded with food and tanks were 25% full. I checked the tongue weight- 350#. Normal towing SOB is 12 mpg, normal driving is 12 mpg. Mid-range gas, 10,000 miles on odometer with cap on rear and 2 passengers and 2 dogs and 150 lbs in truck bed (grill/chairs/firewood)
Going to try another trip with Jeep Liberty v-6 to compare.
How did the trip with the Jeep go?. I have the same vehicle (3.7L).
Dixhiccup is offline   Reply With Quote