Full Size Spare Tire - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Full Size Spare Tire

I have a 2018 19' Escape Trailer. My tow vehicle was a 2006 Honda Ridgeline with 376,000 Kilometers on it. I decided to buy a new Honda Ridgeline as I was happy with the performance and reliability. I was disappointed to note that, unlike the 2006 model, that the 2020 Ridgeline cannot hold a full size spare in the spare tire location. Since the Escape Trailer spare could fit in this 2020 Ridgeline, has anyone changed the rear of their Escape Trailer to hold a full size spare tire.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Wait...

Hi: Sawdusty... Honda et all do it to save weight. Adding another spare means you'll have to give up some or all of the beverage supply!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusty View Post
...Since the Escape Trailer spare could fit in this 2020 Ridgeline, has anyone changed the rear of their Escape Trailer to hold a full size spare tire.
What an interesting idea! Putting the TV spare on the Escape. I've seen (but couldn't quickly find) mounting brackets for dual spares. Or how about adding another spare carrier to the Escape's bumper? It certainly has the capacity, if you're not carrying bikes, for example.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
I was disappointed to note that, unlike the 2006 model, that the 2020 Ridgeline cannot hold a full size spare in the spare tire location.
Yep, lost that space for the full-size spare in the cubby with introduction of the Gen 2 RL in 2017 - it's the topic of more than a few threads over on www.ridgelineownersclub.com

Quote:
Since the Escape Trailer spare could fit in this 2020 Ridgeline, has anyone changed the rear of their Escape Trailer to hold a full size spare tire.
EDIT - misread the OP, I'd not switch the tire location lest you have a flat on the RL when away from the RV.

I have a FS spare on an OE wheel for my 2019 RTL-E .... but the only time I'll want it is when towing, so why not just keep it on the trailer with the RV spare? I'm certain it can be accommodated by hook-or-crook. I'd leave the OE donut where it is in the truck, always ready in case of mishap when apart from the trailer even if on a road-trip.

One option would be to move the trailer spare to under the tongue as some (Eggscape?) have done here; then mount the larger/wider TV spare on the rear bumper (likely yielding close-to-a wash on weight distribution).

Love my RL, as you apparently do too being on your second
Old 09-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Sawdusty... Honda et all do it to save weight. ....
Perhaps interesting aside .... the OP's Gen 1 Ridgeline (RL) came with a compact spare as OE, but the cubby* it fits into would also accommodate a FS spare.

Then in 2017 the Gen 2 (current design through 2020 MY) RL came along ... still with a 'donut' for the OE spare, but this time the cubby won't accommodate a FS spare ; that change likely due to the 'packaging / chassis' differences introduced with the Gen 2, unrelated to weight-saving per-se.

*RL's have always stashed the spare in an enclosed 'cubby' on a slide-out tray ... accessed via the in-bed trunk that (among other things) sets RL's apart from all other 'competition'.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
By switching the trailer spare to the tow and vice versa is a good idea as long as you do not get a flat away from the trailer.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
By switching the trailer spare to the tow and vice versa is a good idea as long as you do not get a flat away from the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I'd leave the OE donut where it is [in the TV], always ready in case of mishap when apart from the trailer even if on a road-trip.
By not switching a spare, but adding a FS TV spare to the RV, no worries
Old 09-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post
What an interesting idea! Putting the TV spare on the Escape. I've seen (but couldn't quickly find) mounting brackets for dual spares. Or how about adding another spare carrier to the Escape's bumper? It certainly has the capacity, if you're not carrying bikes, for example.

I wonder if the following would be sufficient:
Use a threaded coupler, instead of the lug nuts, for the 1st wheel, then use a bolt of the correct length to hold the 2nd wheel, by threading it into the coupler.
Attached Thumbnails
threaded coupling.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Use a threaded coupler, instead of the lug nuts, for the 1st wheel, then use a bolt of the correct length to hold the 2nd wheel, by threading it into the coupler.
I definitely would strap the added spare to the original spare in more than one spot for added safety. LOTS of bouncing back there.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
That could work (although only for one bolt if the bolt patterns are not the same), but I doubt that the Escape spare tire rack would be structurally suitable for substantially more than double the total tire and wheel mass.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:21 AM   #11

There are only 3 bolts holding the spare tire holder and with the height there is a lot of play which causes movement. I see a future missing tire if one adds another spare without additional support. Also if not done already, drill some drain holes from the rear bumper, you can see the amount of rust water already inside the hollow bumper where the spare is attached.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 19 Escape, arrived March 2021
I know this is not an ideal solution, but I haul a fs spare in the bed of my Ridgeline and remove the smaller OEM spare from the cubby to reduce weight. I lock it to the tie-downs in the bed.

I bet there are some lockable brackets that could be installed in the bed, but I've never researched it.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I see a future missing tire if one adds another spare without additional support.
I don't think so. I see two missing tires. The additional support would have to be completely re-engineered. I believe that additional lateral support would also be required.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes...the trailer spare fits nicely within the tongue leaving the rear available for a full size tow vehicle spare.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post278711
Attached Thumbnails
29E987D5-280F-4FF6-9E39-A09A27E649B7.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
I know this is not an ideal solution, but I haul a fs spare in the bed of my Ridgeline and remove the smaller OEM spare from the cubby to reduce weight. I lock it to the tie-downs in the bed.

I bet there are some lockable brackets that could be installed in the bed, but I've never researched it.
Does Ridgeline offer a tonneau cover, out of sight is a lot safer.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:48 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Glad I have the 5.0TA necessitating a truck as a tow vehicle. Since Ford still puts a full sized spare on the F-150, mounting a full-sized spare somewhere else because one wouldn’t fit in the space designed for the “donut” hadn’t been a problem. Do to WEIGHT concerns, I suppose it is only a matter of time until Ford takes the COST-CUTTING step of eliminating the full-sized spare. If so, because it is under the cargo box it will still be possible to dump (or dunk) the donut and change to a real tire.
On a side note, I have purchased three new F-150s. In each case, the spare was a different brand than the tires installed on the four wheels. I haven’t yet figured out the logic or reason for that.
Old 10-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #17

On a side note, I have purchased three new F-150s. In each case, the spare was a different brand than the tires installed on the four wheels. I haven’t yet figured out the logic or reason for that.
Now that is an interesting switch? Is it rated the same capacity as the others? Does the wheel match so you can do a 5 wheel tire rotation? Does not make sense. I was so livid when I found out my spare was temp on my Ram, I went to the dealer and chewed the sales manager out. He offered to provide me a replacement but I had already purchased a matching wheel and one of my old tires for the spare. It was during my first set of tire replacement when I found out the issue.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Now that is an interesting switch? Is it rated the same capacity as the others? Does the wheel match so you can do a 5 wheel tire rotation? Does not make sense. I was so livid when I found out my spare was temp on my Ram, I went to the dealer and chewed the sales manager out. He offered to provide me a replacement but I had already purchased a matching wheel and one of my old tires for the spare. It was during my first set of tire replacement when I found out the issue.
Yes. Same size, same rating. I am told that when you special order a Ford, you cannot request a specific tire brand, say Michelin for example. You get what you get. My latest came through with Hankook, and the spare is a Continental if I remember correctly. My previous F-150 also came through with Hankooks, and I was a bit upset but researching them, I found an article that said somewhere over 90° of the competitors in the Baja 500 run it on Hankooks. They proved to be decent tires. The spare’s rim is a standard black rim, not the fancy ones wheels they mount on the axles. So no, I do not rotate them as it would affect the truck’s appearance.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #19

Seems like Jeep Wranglers and Escapes are the only ones left with all 5 matching wheels and tires....
Old 10-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post

Just FYI your Owner's Manual explains how the bolt holding the donut to its tray in the cubby is used to secure the removed FS tire in the bed (there's a capped threaded hole for that bolt) at the front of the bed).

I don't believe anyone on the Ridgeline Forum has found a purpose-built aftermarket bracket for the spare-in-the-bed.

Pic from Wikipedia commons showing location of OE FS wheel/tire mount:

When towing with my FS spare I've secured it to the side of the bed driver's side; less rear-vision obstruction than as seen above. Sorry, no pic of that but here's the DIY bedside rail system (L-Track) I use. No matter how you cut it, the FS spare is a big item in the RL's bed.
Attached Thumbnails
L-Track 01.jpg