Gas Mileage and Towing w/the Nissan Frontier Truck - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Gas Mileage and Towing w/the Nissan Frontier Truck

Hello to All,

I'm stil debating a tow vehicle. So a few questions for those of you that tow with the Frontier, why did you purchase this truck over a full sized one?

I've been comparing the posted gas mileage of the Frontier 4x4 [14-19mpg] and a regular full sized 1/4 Ton Pick-up. As an example, the mileage on an F150 ecoBost V6 4x4, is very similar [15-21mpg], Regular V6- 4x4 16 city / 21 hwy. 5.0L V8 -4x4 14 city / 19 hwy). The tow capacity is also greater. (not that it matters a great deal w/the Escapes). I guess I was just wondering what some of the reasons were that you went with the smaller truck? I know the price tag on the Frontier is more wallet friendly for sure.

Is anyone getting higher gas mileage than the posted U.S. Gal?

Comments welcome.

Best Regards,

TurtleBax
TurtleBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Re: Gas Mileage and Towing w/the Nissan Frontier Truck

Hi.
I just returned from a 700 mile trip to Florida from Virginia. I drove 55 - 62 both ways and got 18.5 mph going south and 16.5 going north. Why the difference? I have no idea. I got the Frontier because I did not want a full size truck and because of the price. I actually could have got a Titan for almost the same price including incentives (none on the Frontier), but I didn't like the projected mpg. And I was moving up from a Grand Caravan and didn't want to go that much bigger. The Frontier + Escape 5 is a foot shorter than the Caravan + Casita 17.

Dick
Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

We don't have a Frontier, but I love the F150.. we have a 5.4 2WD and get 24mi on the highway w/Toneau cover. When we towed we got around 15-16.. and it had the Tow/Haul feature which is really pretty cool.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #4

We don't have a Frontier or a F150 but really like our 2007 Tundra 5.7V8 4x4 CrewMax 4-door cab short box towing our 19ft Escape in a headwind 11.5, in a tailwind 14.5 in regular wind 13.6 we go at highway speed not towing we get 15.5. I think the mileage would be higher if we could buy real gas instead of gas with corn in it.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: TurtleBax...Having a 5.0, which was designed around the small to mid sized pickup market, meant aiming for a Nissan Frontier. The full 4dr. 4/5pass. long bed gives us flexibility and when retired we can eliminate the other vehicle. The fuel economy was better than our fullsized shortbox GMC and also the tow cap. and torque figures were higher. The Nissan was aprox. ten grand less than a Toyo. Taco. too.
Our 5.0 was setup with the axle lift for the full height (51") pickup which gave us the opportunity to go 4X4 (49") with the Nissan. Only minor adjustments were required to the pinbox to refit the slider hitch...which we have never slid. The Nissan tailgate can be left down when hitching...the GMC...no room...no way!!!
IMHO the big trucks are just that BIG!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
davel

TurtleBax,

I'm going through the same process. Have a 4 cyl Tacoma right now, like the size for driving around/truck use. Have driven the F150, Tundra, and Titan they are really full size. As was pointed out a couple of times you need to consider your mileage when not towing and overall enjoyment with everyday use. My neighbor has a 2 yr old 4 door Titan 2wd
and gets around 10-15 mph everyday driving.

Dave
Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Just for comparison, we have the V6 Tacoma. In everyday driving we get 18 - 20 mpg (US) and when towing our 17B, 15- 16 mpg.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19

We went from a 2001 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 that was only adequate for pulling the 19' Escape. It could do it, but hills, headwinds, and extra weight were a challenge. We bought a 2011 f150 supercrew with the 5.0 engine and are completely happy with the new ride. Mileage without the trailer is 21-22 on freeway, 14 around town, and 17-18 combined. When towing, we get 13.5-14, but have that incredible power whenever needed.

The reason we went with the full-size truck was so I could put my motorcycle or bicycles in the bed while towing. The Tacoma and Frontier would not have worked for the motorcycle and the tailgate up towing.

The F150 does not need the weight distributing hitch like the Explorer did, and the extra weight of the truck does improve the ride as the trailer does not push it around as much as it did the Explorer. The F150 is big, but I could go on and on about what a great truck it is. We are glad we bought it. We tow a lot in the mountains so the 360 horsepower of the F150 is important to us.
2005 yellow lab
slomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #9

What slomoto said and that is why I tow with a big Tundra with a big V8,no WDH needed and power on those hills. Towing 13.6 to 14.0. Bigger trucks almost cost less than midsize trucks.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #10

Thanks to all who responded. Your comments and persective was what I wanted to know. Logging all good info for when I finally decide.

Best Regards,
TurtleBax
TurtleBax is offline   Reply With Quote