Getting quotes for GMC Canyon - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
So, I talk to three dealers today, all are willing to order it for us and sell it to us at list price. Was kinda hoping for a discount, but a couple extra key fobs, bedliner and/or a tonneau cover would be nice!

Look up This American Life podcast titled "129 Cars".

You'll quite enjoy this inside look at dealerships and car sales.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #22

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Interesting. Our 2018 GMC Canyon SLT, short box, V-6 gas engine has a payload of 1438 lbs as per the sticker in the door jam of the front door. I would have thought the diesel would be the same or better than the gas
I believe all Canyon have about the same payload capacity plus ou minus 100# depending of the trim level. Mine is 1380 # on the yellow sticker. When I quote my number I've deducted what was added to the truck and what is store on the truck like boosting cable, tow rope and air pump... under the back seat about 30# My truck had (addition from the factory) hard cover for the box about 80#, running board about 50# and a rack for carrying a boat about 30#.

Half of what's left from the payload is for the trailer + wdh. Leave almost only 400# for my wife, luggage and bicycles.

My point was, the payload is just good for traveling light with a trailer and you need to be aware of what goes in the truck.

The rear suspension if soft and prone to rapid ware if overload.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Look up This American Life podcast titled "129 Cars".

You'll quite enjoy this inside look at dealerships and car sales.
There’s a way to spend my post thanksgiving meal food coma! I’ll check it out!

Lots of great replies in this thread, thanks for all the tips!

My wife is like “Let’s order it!” She’s the one who will be driving it, it will be a replacement for her Toyota Highlander, it’s got over 200k miles on it!
splitting_lanes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post
I believe all Canyon have about the same payload capacity plus ou minus 100# depending of the trim level. Mine is 1380 # on the yellow sticker. When I quote my number I've deducted what was added to the truck and what is store on the truck like boosting cable, tow rope and air pump... under the back seat about 30# My truck had (addition from the factory) hard cover for the box about 80#, running board about 50# and a rack for carrying a boat about 30#.

OK, that clears it up. Your Colorado doesn't have a load capacity of 1150 pounds. You just have 200 pounds of permanent cargo. Your earlier post made it sound like your sticker said 1150 pounds.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #25

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Factory order

Spent 2 months trying to find the 2019 SLT diesel with a non black or white color within 500 miles. Gave up and got a far better deal by ordering from the factory.
Ordered in Jan 2019 and drove it away in early March. Ended up paying invoice less $3K incentive. After 2 years and 10K miles towing the 5.0 TA it's the best tow vehicle I've ever had and I've had a bunch of campers and trucks.
Happy camping!
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
Spent 2 months trying to find the 2019 SLT diesel with a non black or white color within 500 miles. Gave up and got a far better deal by ordering from the factory.
Ordered in Jan 2019 and drove it away in early March. Ended up paying invoice less $3K incentive. After 2 years and 10K miles towing the 5.0 TA it's the best tow vehicle I've ever had and I've had a bunch of campers and trucks.
Happy camping!
Hi Bob, I am a bit curious.

I believe you had the Andersen Ultimate, did you have the rail or Gooseneck ball mount?

I imagine you had custom brackets needed for the Canyon, did you remove the hardware that is under the truck box to install in your new truck?

Did you mount in the same location as your last mount?

I believe you had a short bed, what is your new one?

I think there is a market on this forum for a low mileage Canyon that is already set up to tow a 5.0TA.

Apparently you are happy with your rig, that will be good news for many on here.

Best,
Old 11-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
Happy camping!
Thanks for sharing your experience with getting a Diesel. Great to hear the positive reviews too!
Old 11-27-2020, 05:54 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Thanks for your concern. I think we’ll be ok. The truck we spec’d has a payload of 1394 lbs. I’d feel more comfortable if it was a little higher, but, we’ll be under that.
Hmmm. Pin weight of 5.0TA published by ETI is empty. Every item added to front storage compartment and inside any cabinet in front of the axles adds to the pin weight, including blankets and pillows, which though light by themselves, add up. Pin weight is likely to be around 700 lbs. Add 50 lbs for the lightest hitch (Andersen aluminum gooseneck ball) and you are at 750 lbs. And don’t forget to add the weight of the gooseneck ball frame mounts, give or take another 50 lbs. and the required safety chains, or any suspension items to prevent sag under the pin weight. Cargo weight is now at 800 lbs. or more. Then, assuming two very lightweight passengers at 150 lbs. apiece, that is another 300 lbs, bringing the total to 1100 lbs.
And should a spray in bed liner be added, that is more weight. Camping chairs? Fold up tonneau cover for use when disconnected? Children/grandchildren/pets in back seat? Tool bag or 12v air compressor? Clam shelter if desired. 1,394 minus 1,100 (if 1,100 is accurate) does not leave much of a buffer should any of the aforementioned optional items are wanted.
I would much rather place heavier/bulkier items around the hitch in the bed of the truck than on the floor in the rear of the trailer where they have to be moved outside every time the trailer is set up, nor do I want to deal with the dirt these items would introduce when brought back in from the outside environment. I am not being an alarmist, just a realist. Can a truck with a passenger/cargo capacity of 1,394 be used to tow a 5.0TA. Sure, it can; many here do. But the real question would be is it practical or convenient to so closely approach the truck’s limits? Just my opinion, so no reason for anyone to go ballistic.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 21c
I was told that GM sold the factory in Thailand that made the duramax diesel for the canyon and would no,longer be offering that engine only the 6 cylinder gas. Not sure if this is correct, but that could be why you’re not getting a response
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When one chooses to buy from only one vehicle manufacturer , buy only one particular model / style / color and buy only one trim level then your choices are highly self restricted
If the vehicle’s payload limit doesn’t match up with the trailer you wish to tow , fudging the numbers doesn’t change anything . I could pretend that my wife , myself and our dog only weigh 300 lbs but I am only fooling myself
I don’t know what’s required to safely tow an Escape 5.0 , what I do know I’m not going to attempt it with my vehicle . The numbers just don’t add up
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akfishman View Post
I was told that GM sold the factory in Thailand that made the duramax diesel for the canyon and would no,longer be offering that engine only the 6 cylinder gas. Not sure if this is correct, but that could be why you’re not getting a response

This is not actually the case. In April of 2020 GM announced they would be selling the Thailand plant and a bunch of journalists immediately wrote up articles stating that GM was dropping the 2.8L from the Colorado and Canyon. As it turns out, GM will continue to offer the engine at least until the major redesign of the trucks in 2023.

But the internet is forever, so a Google search on 2.8L Duramax still fetches those articles in the top 10 results.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When one chooses to buy from only one vehicle manufacturer , buy only one particular model / style / color and buy only one trim level then your choices are highly self restricted
We don't know how the OP reached the decision to buy the vehicle he selected. Maybe he looked at several candidates from different OEM's before reaching a decision.

Once decided the OP sounds a lot like me. I want exactly what I want and I typically will order it. I don't settle for what's around because I don't really care if I can have it today or in six weeks. The only way I'd settle is for a huge deal on price, and since I can get employee pricing on a few different makes there's no reason for me not to order.

Quote:
If the vehicle’s payload limit doesn’t match up with the trailer you wish to tow , fudging the numbers doesn’t change anything . I could pretend that my wife , myself and our dog only weigh 300 lbs but I am only fooling myself
I don’t know what’s required to safely tow an Escape 5.0 , what I do know I’m not going to attempt it with my vehicle . The numbers just don’t add up
My wife, dog and I weigh 310 pounds. But the OP's truck and trailer wouldn't work for me because I then have two more kids and another dog to add on top of that.

It's true that the GM midsize trucks are not going to have a lot of capacity left once an Escape 5.0 is on the pin. But it is not impossible and it seems some people are jumping to that conclusion.

I read C&G's estimates, seems OP has about 540 pounds left for people / cargo once the Escape 5.0, hitch, etc. are on the truck. That's not a lot of spare room for some people, but again, not impossible for someone who is willing to live within the limit.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Hmmm. Pin weight of 5.0TA published by ETI is empty. Every item added to front storage compartment and inside any cabinet in front of the axles adds to the pin weight, including blankets and pillows, which though light by themselves, add up. Pin weight is likely to be around 700 lbs. Add 50 lbs for the lightest hitch (Andersen aluminum gooseneck ball) and you are at 750 lbs. And don’t forget to add the weight of the gooseneck ball frame mounts, give or take another 50 lbs. and the required safety chains, or any suspension items to prevent sag under the pin weight. Cargo weight is now at 800 lbs. or more. Then, assuming two very lightweight passengers at 150 lbs. apiece, that is another 300 lbs, bringing the total to 1100 lbs.
And should a spray in bed liner be added, that is more weight. Camping chairs? Fold up tonneau cover for use when disconnected? Children/grandchildren/pets in back seat? Tool bag or 12v air compressor? Clam shelter if desired. 1,394 minus 1,100 (if 1,100 is accurate) does not leave much of a buffer should any of the aforementioned optional items are wanted.
I would much rather place heavier/bulkier items around the hitch in the bed of the truck than on the floor in the rear of the trailer where they have to be moved outside every time the trailer is set up, nor do I want to deal with the dirt these items would introduce when brought back in from the outside environment. I am not being an alarmist, just a realist. Can a truck with a passenger/cargo capacity of 1,394 be used to tow a 5.0TA. Sure, it can; many here do. But the real question would be is it practical or convenient to so closely approach the truck’s limits? Just my opinion, so no reason for anyone to go ballistic.
Payload on my 2017 Colorado was one of 2 reasons I decided to go with a 19 rather than a 5.0TA, I just didn't want to cut it that close. The other reason was I decided I needed my truck bed and wanted to put a canopy on it so I could put my pontoon boat on top. It worked out. I'm very happy with this combo and have no regrets, although I'd be the first to extoll the virtues of the 5.0TA. They are awesome rigs.

What surprises me a bit is this payload discussion doesn't seem to come up with the same veracity when folks propose to tow a 5.0TA with a full-size pickup such as a Toyota Tundra. Perhaps the 2020 models are higher, but my buddy's 2018 V-8 Tundra with the tow package has a lower payload than my Colorado, and by quite a lot (almost 100-lbs). He didn't believe me at first and was shocked when I showed him the driver's side sticker. He tows a 19 so there's no problem. but it's definitely something folks need to think about and check when deciding on a tow vehicle!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #34

Since I’ll be loading the 5.0 and the Canyon, I’m sure I’ll be able to keep it under the limit.

The great thing about these trailers is you don’t need to have really high capacities to tow them. High capacity is nice if you’re using it, but if you don’t need it, it’s a rougher ride when it’s empty.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #35

Trailer: ?
“Was kinda hoping for a discount, but a couple extra key fobs, bedliner and/or a tonneau cover would be nice!”

The extra key fobs are a must, to my thinking.
Read in the owner’s manual about the procedure you must go through to start the truck if you find yourself stranded without a working key fob.
With modern security systems it’s a challenge.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:43 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I have a Canyon 5 foot bed and a 5.0. I have added a Reese sliding hitch mount to the rig after towing for a while. I can go to 90 degrees now. It’s very easy to slide back when at the campground or if I get in a sticky turn-around situation. The brake controller works great. I believe the Sierra has the Duramax 6 cylinder this year. You might find more of a standard hitch mount with it.
john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #37

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Which engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john o View Post
I have a Canyon 5 foot bed and a 5.0. I have added a Reese sliding hitch mount to the rig after towing for a while. I can go to 90 degrees now. It’s very easy to slide back when at the campground or if I get in a sticky turn-around situation. The brake controller works great. I believe the Sierra has the Duramax 6 cylinder this year. You might find more of a standard hitch mount with it.
This is great info!! Thanks.

Which engine are you using in the Canyon, and which model of hitch?

Did you also use the generic Reese rails in the bed?

Thanks
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #38

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Just took delivery of a 5.0 on 11/16/20 in Sumas. I'm probably the "odd ball out" in this diesel discussion but we opted for the Canyon V6 SLE long bed due to the cost factor. So far only one trip from Sumas to Kennewick, WA via route 90 over Snoqualmie Pass. I'm very pleased with the performance and mileage results (15.5 mpg towing) for the 300 mile trip which included about 60 miles of strong head winds. The problem in general with the Canyon/Colorado is finding someone to install an Andersen hitch. I ended up doing it myself using the info from the forum and consulting with Trademasters in Chilliwick. So far very pleased with our decision.
TKscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #39

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKscape View Post
Just took delivery of a 5.0 on 11/16/20 in Sumas. I'm probably the "odd ball out" in this diesel discussion but we opted for the Canyon V6 SLE long bed due to the cost factor. So far only one trip from Sumas to Kennewick, WA via route 90 over Snoqualmie Pass. I'm very pleased with the performance and mileage results (15.5 mpg towing) for the 300 mile trip which included about 60 miles of strong head winds. The problem in general with the Canyon/Colorado is finding someone to install an Andersen hitch. I ended up doing it myself using the info from the forum and consulting with Trademasters in Chilliwick. So far very pleased with our decision.
Very, very useful to me since my planned target config is exactly yours (Canyon/Colorado gas, crew cab, long bed) with Andersen hitch towing an Escape 5.0. Still wrestling with the diesel/gas decision, and will be interested to hear about that Reese sliding hitch in the short bed although wonder about the impact of that hitch on payload.

I have the advantage of being able to take delivery in Chilliwack when the time comes so would definitely get Trademasters do the hitch work.

Thanks
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #40

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
FYI, the following attachment is a payload analysisI did for my Canyon V6/Escape 5.0. The net capacity of 288 lbs. will allow me to carry my 50# Honda 2000eu, if needed, plus extra equipment and maybe a third passenger. Also, I'm estimating another 50-100# for added pin weight when trailer is loaded, including fresh water. This does'nt leave much wiggle room and still stay within the specified 1446# maximum payload capacity.

I would have used Trademasters to install the hitch if the border had been open and would recommend them, as they've been extremely helpful.

Canyon:Escape Weight.pdf
TKscape is offline   Reply With Quote