Getting quotes for GMC Canyon - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2020, 03:19 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
This is great info!! Thanks.

Which engine are you using in the Canyon, and which model of hitch?

Did you also use the generic Reese rails in the bed?

Thanks
I have the Duramax 2.8 and love it. All the hitch info is in the trailer and not here. I bought the generic rails and hitch. They are the "15k' items and not true Reese. I found a used Reese slider rated 16k and sold the other. The rails installation is shown in my account photos.

John
john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKscape View Post
FYI, the following attachment is a payload analysisI did for my Canyon V6/Escape 5.0. The net capacity of 288 lbs. will allow me to carry my 50# Honda 2000eu, if needed, plus extra equipment and maybe a third passenger. Also, I'm estimating another 50-100# for added pin weight when trailer is loaded, including fresh water. This does'nt leave much wiggle room and still stay within the specified 1446# maximum payload capacity.

I would have used Trademasters to install the hitch if the border had been open and would recommend them, as they've been extremely helpful.

Attachment 52447
Hi Terry, very good information, thanks for posting this.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:29 PM   #43

Trailer: Actively looking to purchase used
New truck purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
My wife submitted the request for a quote for a GMC Canyon diesel ( to tow the 5.0 we placed a deposit on ), and of the three dealerships we submitted the request too, none gave us a quote. One only listed GMC Sierras that they had in stock.

Oh joy, I guess there will be some back and forth with the dealers — I did pick three dealers that had good ratings, so I thought at least one would answer the request.

If anyone has tips, or just feels like complaining about stealerships, feel free to hope on the thread.
Familiarize yourself with https://unhaggle.com/how-it-works/ and follow their method. A fair way to get a good price agreeable to you and the new truck dealer.
MNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:18 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape 19' 2017
I got my Canyon in 2015. Started by going to Costco’s Auto program and they basically had a way to order a custom truck online. I did that for the GMC and the (almost) equivalent Chevy. I went back to the GMC dealer and ask if they could match the price on the Chevy. They explained what the differences were (which I already knew), and I basically said I didn’t care about those so if they wanted my business, they needed to beat the price on the Chevy. I was surprised when they said they would, albeit not by much, and they custom ordered it for me.
JohnFromABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #45

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
We tow our Escape 5.0 TA with a GMC Canyon diesel and love it. The diesel engine is very fuel efficient, has great pulling power up long inclines, and most importantly, has engine braking to help slow the truck down going downhill.
I had the Anderson Ultimate hitch installed at Trademasters in Chilliwack, about a mile from Escape Trailers. Because the Canyon cannot accommodate a goose-neck ball, we have rails mounted to the frame of the truck, which don't really get in the way when hauling other stuff.
This is a great combination: a mid-sized truck towing a mid-sized trailer; highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
20200324_152137.jpg  
1996-2005: 1987 Award 23'
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Dealers totally SUCK.

I will send you a PM about my trusted, veteran car (or truck) broker. We have used many times. save a LOT of hassle and $

J.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #47

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Thanks for all the great replies! Very helpful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromABQ View Post
I got my Canyon in 2015. Started by going to Costco’s Auto program and they basically had a way to order a custom truck online. I did that for the GMC and the (almost) equivalent Chevy. I went back to the GMC dealer and ask if they could match the price on the Chevy. They explained what the differences were (which I already knew), and I basically said I didn’t care about those so if they wanted my business, they needed to beat the price on the Chevy. I was surprised when they said they would, albeit not by much, and they custom ordered it for me.
I've looked into this, and for now, they are offering a $1k discount on the AT4 version, which is different than what we want, but we'll keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
We tow our Escape 5.0 TA with a GMC Canyon diesel and love it. The diesel engine is very fuel efficient, has great pulling power up long inclines, and most importantly, has engine braking to help slow the truck down going downhill.
I had the Anderson Ultimate hitch installed at Trademasters in Chilliwack, about a mile from Escape Trailers. Because the Canyon cannot accommodate a goose-neck ball, we have rails mounted to the frame of the truck, which don't really get in the way when hauling other stuff.
This is a great combination: a mid-sized truck towing a mid-sized trailer; highly recommended.
Great to hear, my wife will love reading this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
Dealers totally SUCK.

I will send you a PM about my trusted, veteran car (or truck) broker. We have used many times. save a LOT of hassle and $

J.
I think I'll look into this, especially if we haven't heard back from the dealer we've been emailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNolan View Post
Familiarize yourself with https://unhaggle.com/how-it-works/ and follow their method. A fair way to get a good price agreeable to you and the new truck dealer.
I'll take a look. I'll tell ya, Tesla's no-dealership model sure looks good at this point. But I think we are a decade away from having a charging infrastructure and battery tech that will support the kind of RV travel *WE* want to do.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:37 PM   #48

Trailer: 2012 E19
Sam's Club has something similar to Costco, I think. I've never used it, although I have a membership.

Best way I know of to get a decent deal is to look online at inventories of the various dealers until I find what I want, then email them an offer that I figured would allow them a modest profit, a couple hundred bucks. I did this when buying my Highlander in '08. A salesman emailed back a counteroffer about $150 higher. I accepted, and we drove almost 2 hours to Kansas to get it. This worked pretty much the same way when we bought the GX470 (used) in 2015.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #49

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKscape View Post
FYI, the following attachment is a payload analysisI did for my Canyon V6/Escape 5.0. The net capacity of 288 lbs. will allow me to carry my 50# Honda 2000eu, if needed, plus extra equipment and maybe a third passenger. Also, I'm estimating another 50-100# for added pin weight when trailer is loaded, including fresh water. This does'nt leave much wiggle room and still stay within the specified 1446# maximum payload capacity.
Next time you come to a closed weigh station, pull in and check your weights against your GVWR. I found out that I can't bring along a lot of extra stuff in my bed of my F150, and I'm pulling a 21NE. I would be over my GVWR of 6500lbs pulling a 5.0TA. My 4 person payload is ~600 lbs on its own. Throw in some toys, firewood, chairs, etc., and it goes up rapidly. I have had to cut down on extras, and moved more of the load to the trailer. (Two of us losing some fat wouldn't hurt.)
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:28 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 17 ft Casita Spirit
Look for a 2020 in Jan thru March, much cheaper. That’s what I did last year on a 2019 Duramax and saved quite a bit. A great truck, I tow a 21 Escape.
Borrisrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #51

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrisrex View Post
I tow a 21 Escape.
Hi Dennis, please update your info profile to include your Escape's year and model.

Go to your User Control Panel (UserCP) and then click on Edit Options in the left hand column. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/p...do=editoptions

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Borrisrex - Screenshot 2020-12-07 095652.png   Update your profile 2020-11-30 154704.png  
Old 03-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #52

We picked up our Canyon yesterday, had a great experience with Adriana at Watsonville GMC.

Now to figure out if/which tonneau cover we should get. Suggestions are welcomed & encouraged!

Click image for larger version

Name:	D0D8C036-F718-434C-A642-4029050A5A14.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	54568
Old 03-28-2021, 11:24 AM   #53

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
www.retrax.com
Matte black finish polycarb rolling cover
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
We picked up our Canyon yesterday, had a great experience with Adriana at Watsonville GMC.

Now to figure out if/which tonneau cover we should get. Suggestions are welcomed & encouraged!

Attachment 54568
Nice looking truck, but I have to say, it looks huge.......the compacts seems to be getting larger every year......
Old 03-28-2021, 01:58 PM   #55

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner

I've bought the Backflip VP and it is coming on 5 years. I've wanted a model that was side free to allow place for a boat rack. No regret.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1379a.JPG   IMG_1380a.JPG  
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Had BakFlip covers on last three trucks. Perfect setup for trailering since you can open by section or lock it all the way up to have the full bed for hauling stuff.
I’d get it again on next truck
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
www.retrax.com
Matte black finish polycarb rolling cover
That looks great, how long have you had one? Is it manual or electric?
Old 03-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Nice looking truck, but I have to say, it looks huge.......the compacts seems to be getting larger every year......
Yeah, it looks large, but it’s smaller and easier to see over the hood than a full size, significantly shorter...
Old 03-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post

I've bought the Backflip VP and it is coming on 5 years. I've wanted a model that was side free to allow place for a boat rack. No regret.
That’s what I was originally thinking about, was a tri or quad fold cover. I’ll look into the backflip some more, I think my wife likes the retractable covers. I don’t know what the pros and cons are, but mostly I’d like to have a cover that can be on part way so I can still have the fifth wheel hooked up, and then when I’m using the truck for carrying bicycles or backpacks I’d like to have it lock.

Thanks for your reply also @Greg_A