Getting quotes for GMC Canyon - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2020, 09:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Getting quotes for GMC Canyon

My wife submitted the request for a quote for a GMC Canyon diesel ( to tow the 5.0 we placed a deposit on ), and of the three dealerships we submitted the request too, none gave us a quote. One only listed GMC Sierras that they had in stock.

Oh joy, I guess there will be some back and forth with the dealers — I did pick three dealers that had good ratings, so I thought at least one would answer the request.

If anyone has tips, or just feels like complaining about stealerships, feel free to hope on the thread.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Go in person to each dealership. Salesmen keep an eagle eye out for potential customers and if they're the first to latch on to you they'll probably get the commission if you buy. Online lookie lues aren't nearly that likely to get them the commission.

That's been out experience and as much as I hate someone glomming onto to me the second that I step on the lot, it does seem to be the best way of asking questions and specifying what you want.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:30 PM   #3

Thanks Ron. Maybe we will get a chance to go to a dealership or two this upcoming long weekend.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
In general I agree with Ron, however based on experience would say call first to make an appointment. Different times; once you do the test drive then do the negotiating from a distance. Look at other dealers within 300 or so miles who may have the truck you want then call your first dealer to go get it. Worked for me.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I'm incredibly particular about anything I buy and thus incredibly unlikely to ever just find what I want on the lot. But apparently I'm very much in a minority as every dealer is based around the idea that customers will only buy what they find available on the lot, and if the dealer doesn't find an existing truck then the customer will walk.

I've always thought it strange that most cars are built to no order and then shipped to dealers hoping to find a customer, but that's me.

Finally, yes dealers don't like to deal with customers online. It makes sense from their perspective. They best customer in the world is one who wanders in, finds something on the lot that they love, and then negotiates the deal right there.

The worst customer is someone who specs a car they will order and gets 3-4 dealers to bid against each other via email for ordering it. Their margin in this latter case will be low. They suck, but they do exist to make money and they do not want to compete for business with an educated customer who can comparison shop.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:22 AM   #6

Trailer: Looking to Buy
Have you considered the bed in a Canyon is 61.2" and the 5.0 TA targets trucks with a minimum 5’6″ bed and suitable payload/tow capacity?

I have a 2019 Chevy Colorado 4WD Crew Cab Z71 (gasoline) and would like to use this as my tow vehicle. We also have a 5.0 TA on order.

Being new to towing, I'm struggling to educate myself and understand the consequences of this choice.

you might want to check out

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...YdL1J540ZG63N8

Joe
JStaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
When I bought my Diesel Canyon, I already had done 2 test ride and knew what model and trim I wanted ans what was the price I wanted to pay. Was ready to travel to get it. None was available in a 100 km radius. Call a salesman from New Brunswick (refereed by a friend). Told me there were none in the atlantic provinces but were kind enough to pint point the dealer that had one and what color, trim level. Only 2 dealer in an area of 400 km. Call them and made a deal over the internet in 10 minutes. Since that time bought for my nice a Toyota Yaris in one morning. 5 dealers sent information over the 6 contacted. Finally, 2 were in the race. Then came the exchange car price. Deal was made.
Dont hesitate to travel to find it and be honest with the dealer you consult. Some will be more than happy to try to make dealer exchange.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions, excellent ones at that!

I’m still trying to figure out the multi quotes on this forum via my iPad. Here goes:

Quote:
The worst customer is someone who specs a car they will order and gets 3-4 dealers to bid against each other via email for ordering it. Their margin in this latter case will be low. They suck, but they do exist to make money and they do not want to compete for business with an educated customer who can comparison shop.
That’s me, exactly! But, I’ll give them a call in the order of best response received.

Quote:
Have you considered the bed in a Canyon is 61.2" and the 5.0 TA targets trucks with a minimum 5’6″ bed and suitable payload/tow capacity?
We are ordering the long bed crew cab, 74” bed, but I hear you can get the short bed to work also.

We do have a specific set of options we’d like, and we haven’t seen anything that has what we want in stock, so I’m sure we’ll be ordering. When I ordered a car 10 years ago, it was pretty easy, but I did visit the dealership, and I did not check them out before so I’ve switched to a different dealer for service of said car.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #9

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Just want to raise a flag here...

I have an Escape 19 and tow it with a GMC diesel Canyon SLE (trim before Denali) with a short box. The truck tow the trailer quite easily and economically.

The only down side is the low payload (around 1150#). Since the payload is calculated with the addition of every passenger and every addition to or in the truck like cover, hitch, hitch weight, rack, bicycle.... it is fairly just enough for our need. Last summer, we hit the scale with the trailer loaded for a trip and found out that only had 250# payload left. Depending on your need and habit, it is to consider.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #10

Thanks for your concern. I think we’ll be ok. The truck we spec’d has a payload of 1394 lbs. I’d feel more comfortable if it was a little higher, but, we’ll be under that.

Keep in mind, as a general rule, the higher the payload, the rougher the ride when you’re not loaded.

Everyone I see that has one says it tows nicely and economically. Looking forward to that, as we have several long trips planned across the country and to Alaska.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I wonder why the two Canyon's you two are looking at are 244 pounds apart in cargo capacity. The only thing I know of that changes the GVWR on these trucks is the engine (the 2.8L diesel has a slightly higher GVWR and GCVWR). The engines also do have different weights.

Interesting.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
Tested two to confirm this is what we wanted, then contacted my dealer friend to try and make a deal. He ended up getting me one from a local competing dealer on a "dealer trade", where dealers can trade vehicles among themselves. Works well if the dealers want to stay friends.
You can also often check online for dealer inventory to see what's out there so you have an idea what's available.
We ended up getting a Denali, as the price was too good to pass up. Wife is happy, so I'm happy!
Old 11-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #13

Trailer: ?
When buying a car, all things are negotiable.
When you're close but not quite there, have the dealer throw in a few goodies that have a high retail price but a low cost to the dealer.
Get two more key fobs. About $350 retail. I keep one to use, one as a hide-a-key in the car, one in the trailer and one in the safe at home.
Spray in bed liner? Tonneau cover? Heavy duty floor mats?
Whatever you would like that the dealer sells but isn't standard on the car.

Have fun.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 21C
Try Silvera GMC in Healdsburg, they sell a lot of trucks to the wineries and may be able to assist with your order
kellymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
You could shop at Laura Buick GMC in Illinois. They are the highest volume GMC dealer in the US (so they say). We bought our 2017 Canyon diesel there. We enjoyed a nice train ride to St. Louis, they picked us up at our hotel the next moring and drove us to the dealer's showroom. About an hour later after handling the paperwork and setting up the sat radio and bluetooth, we were heading back to NM in our new truck. It was a total no-hassle deal, we saved $thousands and got a nice trip out of it. We are thinking about getting a new Canyon and would do the same thing again.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:34 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
In 2018 I bought a new GMC Canyon gas. I went to the local dealer in North Vancouver, and I had some very specific requirements including the interior colour (I wanted the Cocoa Dune Leather). Outside colour I was flexible on. Had my list of options that I wanted. Dealer looked around and couldn't find one in B.C., but found one in Saskatchewan. They could bring it over and I would have to pay $650 in freight.
We haggled on price and he gave me his final offer. I asked can you do any better and he said no, the deal offered was already very good.
I said I would think about it.
Then I had to go to Chile on business. While in Chile I did some googling and found a You Tube Video with exactly the truck I wanted, right colours and options, and it was in Ontario. I emailed the dealer and asked if it was still available. It was and I asked for the price. He gave me the price and it was $5K cheaper than the what the dealer offered in North Van. Same options etc.
Did everything online except the deposit which I had to phone in. When I got back to Vancouver I wired the money and he shipped the truck. The shipping cost me $1000 from Ontario. Normally the shipping would have been closer to 2,000, but Jaguar was having a car show in one of the shopping malls in Richmond BC. and they were sending over 3 truck loads of cars and they had one space left open, and offered it to me. So my Canyon got a ride out to Richmond with some pretty nice company. I picked up the truck in the parking lot of the mall, it was a bit dirty from the drive over, but other than that everything was great.
First time I bought a car this way, but it worked out really well.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:24 PM   #17

Wow, lots of good replies, and no one complaining about dealerships. I have new found hope.

So, I talk to three dealers today, all are willing to order it for us and sell it to us at list price. Was kinda hoping for a discount, but a couple extra key fobs, bedliner and/or a tonneau cover would be nice!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post
Just want to raise a flag here...

I have an Escape 19 and tow it with a GMC diesel Canyon SLE (trim before Denali) with a short box. The truck tow the trailer quite easily and economically.

The only down side is the low payload (around 1150#). Since the payload is calculated with the addition of every passenger and every addition to or in the truck like cover, hitch, hitch weight, rack, bicycle.... it is fairly just enough for our need. Last summer, we hit the scale with the trailer loaded for a trip and found out that only had 250# payload left. Depending on your need and habit, it is to consider.
Interesting. Our 2018 GMC Canyon SLT, short box, V-6 gas engine has a payload of 1438 lbs as per the sticker in the door jam of the front door. I would have thought the diesel would be the same or better than the gas
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #19

Trailer: 2021 21C
We ended up with a Denali diesel. Purchased in June from Lehmer's Concord Buick GMC. At the time the discount from list was $6,000 from GMC plus a dealer discount. They were easy to work with, but the final advertised price was the final price - no extras, no additional discount. The way I found it was to search dealer inventories on their web sites until I found what I wanted. The diesels are sometimes hard to come by.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Interesting. Our 2018 GMC Canyon SLT, short box, V-6 gas engine has a payload of 1438 lbs as per the sticker in the door jam of the front door. I would have thought the diesel would be the same or better than the gas
The diesel engine weighs more, so the payload will be less than a comparably equipped gasser. The weight a diesel truck is rated to tow, however, is usually higher. That's why it's important to consider both when deciding on a tow vehicle.

That said, I was surprised at the 1,100-lb payload for the Canyon diesel as well. My well-equipped 2017 Colorado diesel, which is a 4X4 with crew cab, has 1,384-lbs.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote