Giving up on an Escape 19... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Giving up on an Escape 19...

Well, seriously reconsidering it... Because of tow vehicle considerations...

Currently I pull a small tent trailer with a small SUV. When I upgrade the trailer, I have to upgrade the tow vehicle.

I had my eye on the Escape 19, which has a GVWR of 4000lbs. Looking at the new car market, it seems the only economical choice to pull this much weight is a full-sized truck (F-150 or similar) with a smaller engine. Yeah, there are alternatives but they're all either a lot more expensive, or both more expensive and have worse fuel economy.

I don't like big trucks. I'm going to have to drive this vehicle for my daily commute and run-around. I tried to convince myself I could get used to it, but I just couldn't make myself happy with the decision. But the only alternative, if we keep the decision to buy the Escape 19, is to put maybe another $10K into something like a highlander.

So now we're looking at maybe going with a smaller trailer so we can keep the trailer's GVWR at 3500lbs. That opens up some other tow vehicles.

But I'm kind of bummed...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Doug, here is my take on this. I know this is just my opinion and it is jaded by the fact that i am a mechanic and have come to except that vehicles present a lesser problem for me. I personaly feel that you buy the trailer that will suit your needs and make you happy long term. It will last alot longer than the tow vehicle. I do apreciate that vehicle choices are are alot more complicated and srtessful for most.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #3

What put us over the edge on the full sized truck was seeing a friend's parked on our driveway. We have an odd parking area, and his truck filled it up. Having it there made it very awkward getting other vehicles in and out. If we decided we had to have an F-150 or equivalent, we'd have to do something with our parking area -- another expense. Plus we recognized that there's no way a full-sized truck will fit in our garage, which is a serious consideration here in Ottawa in the winter time. These realizations were the final straw.

Given the cost of accommodating a full-sized truck (modifications to parking area/garage) it might actually be cheaper to go with a Highlander.

But yeah, deciding that for practical reasons I needed to go with less of a trailer than I had my heart set on is definitely part of what is making me feel down.

Plus, the next available build slot for a 15 or a 17 is a couple of months after the next available build slot for a 19! I need my instant gratification!

Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
What put us over the edge on the full sized truck was seeing a friend's parked on our driveway. We have an odd parking area, and his truck filled it up. Having it there made it very awkward getting other vehicles in and out. If we decided we had to have an F-150 or equivalent, we'd have to do something with our parking area -- another expense. Plus we recognized that there's no way a full-sized truck will fit in our garage, which is a serious consideration here in Ottawa in the winter time. These realizations were the final straw.

Given the cost of accommodating a full-sized truck (modifications to parking area/garage) it might actually be cheaper to go with a Highlander.

But yeah, deciding that for practical reasons I needed to go with less of a trailer than I had my heart set on is definitely part of what is making me feel down.

Plus, the next available build slot for a 15 or a 17 is a couple of months after the next available build slot for a 19! I need my instant gratification!
Sometimes they will shuffle the slots depending on orders .
Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
From our experiences I can vouch that 17's are wonderful trailers and people are pulling them with relatively small vehicles like the Toyota RAVs quite successfully.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

One of the thoughts we considered was a 17A and finding a 2012 6-cylinder RAV. We're been quite happy with our 2001 4-cylinder RAV, but it doesn't cut it as a tow vehicle for a 3500lb trailer.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not that I recommend it, but my buddy tows a Escape 19 with a Hyundai Santa Fe. Fewer horsepower than the RAV4 V6, but he seems happy. But, like RAV, the 2013 Santa Fe no longer has the V6. You have to step up to a 7-passenger version that is six inches longer and more expensive.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Doug, if cost of the tow is a driving factor in your decision, why not buy used? There are lots of great used vehicles for less than half their original cost.

Like Dave alluded too, though less in purchase price new, your trailer will hold value better, and last through many tow vehicles if you so choose. I would get the trailer that works well for you, not to say that a 17 could not be the one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
One of the thoughts we considered was a 17A and finding a 2012 6-cylinder RAV. We're been quite happy with our 2001 4-cylinder RAV, but it doesn't cut it as a tow vehicle for a 3500lb trailer.
Too bad Toyota stopped offering the V6 RAV4-- I bet any new 2012s are hot sellers if you can still find one. What about the V6 Subaru Outback 3.6? Are they available with a tow package.

(I'm glad we have the garage space and need a pickup out here in the boondocks anyway because I really like towing with our Tacoma with the tow package. It seems to barely know the 17B is back there unless we are on really steep grades.)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 17
This member has the ford Flex Kibitka Escape
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #11

The wife strictly ruled out towing a 19 with a 3500lb-rated vehicle. Can't say I blame her. I considered the idea, but it didn't appeal.

A Tacoma is one of the new vehicles still being considered. It can't handle a 4' wide sheet of whatever, but otherwise the pickup could be useful. But, to tow a 19 it takes the v6 4x4 option, which costs more than an F-150 and has poorer mileage. That just seems wrong... But maybe that's the right way to jump...

As for buying used, I'm not a car guy. I somewhat lack confidence to buy used. Not to mention that it opens up a huge number of options which makes the decision that much harder.

I haven't given any thought to the flex. I will have to do the research on that one.

Thanks for all the comments people. I hate being indecisive, but it's too much money to throw around if I'm not fairly certain. It helps to talk out the options.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 17
I know the honda pilot 2WD is 3500 but the AWD touring is 4300 towing I think. You can double check if interested. Just another idea for the no truck route. Jeep grand cherokee V8 would do it too. Good Luck.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The nice thing about being a member of a forum such as the EscapeForum is all the helpful comments. Most generally, folks don't try to talk anyone into or out of something, but provide different points of view. Here's mine

I own a F-150, 2 wheel drive, Triton V8. It's my daily driver and I love it.. well maybe not the MPG during rush hour. But, it's solid, well-built, I sit above a lot of the traffic and it's comfortable. Recently I had a friend involved in a serious auto accident. She was driving a 2011 Mustang, the other driver was in a F-150. My friend was six inches from being decapitated when the hood sheared off the hinges and came straight through the windshield. She may lose her right eye when she hit it on the rearview mirror. She's got two fractured vertebres too. The driver of the F-150 walked away with a bruised knee... that's it. My next vehicle will more than likely be a new F-150 with Ecoboost. Safety first!! BTW, I sold a Porsche to buy the truck... talk about culture shock .

Good luck on your decision, I'm sure it will be the best one for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We are the ones mentioned by "gocamp" who tow our 19 with a Ford Flex, towing capacity 4500 pounds. I think there is one other Escape owner I've seen on this forum who also has a Flex.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #15

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Donna, this is a little of topic but your comment "I sold a Porsche to buy the truck" makes me ask. Which model did you own? And see you in April

Rick
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Rick, it was a 1995 928. Stupid headlights gave me grief, but the car was fun to drive!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Rick should have mentioned that he and Laura tow their Escape 19 with a Toyota Highlander. (see photo) The V6 Highlander has 5000 lb. towing capacity.

I think this might be a good solution for Doug.

We tow our much smaller Escape 13 with a Highlander and love it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP4043sm.jpg  

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #18

We stopped at a Toyota dealer tonight (a good night for a test drive -- we had a good snow blow going through) and looked at the tacoma, highlander and venza. I think my tastes run more to the tacoma than the highlander. I expect the highlander has a more comfortable ride, but it seems to be optimized for moving lots of people, while I'm more interested in moving lots of stuff. The venza can be equipped to pull 3500lbs, but just comes across as the poor cousin to the highlander.

Now I just have to get over the fact that a well equipped tacoma costs more and has poorer fuel economy than an F-150...

Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13
Doug

Have you checked out the information available on FiberglassRV.com:

Trailer Weights in the Real World - Fiberglass RV

When matching tow vehicle and trailer you need to use real loaded weights of trailers.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The big advantage of the Highlander over the Tacoma or Ford F-150 is that you're not as likely to be asked to help people move stuff, haul stuff to the dump, pick up large bulky objects, or to borrow it.