GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 00
GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado

I have a V6 2019 GMC Canyon that has roughly 300HP and tows 7000lbs. I'm going to purchase a 19 so I know I have more than enough tow capacity (and tongue weight). My question is whether I should get a sway bar, weight distribution hitch or nothing?

Anyone else tow with the newer (2015 and up) Canyon/Colorados with V6?
Lukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I have a 2017 Colorado with the duramax and tow a 19 with it. I got ETI’s weight distributing hitch, which we use on longer trips. The truck squats a bit without it. Others will say you really don’t need a WDH, which is probably true, but having towed the same combination with and without the WDH, I think it tows more smoothly and compactly with it. It just feels like a more cohesive unit. It has been no trouble to hitch with it either, maybe adds a minute or so to the whole process. Our 19 does have the electric jack, which helps.

As for sway, I’ve never had any trouble, even when getting passed by semis and in strong cross winds.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I have a 2017 Colorado with the duramax and tow a 19 with it. I got ETI’s weight distributing hitch, which we use on longer trips. The truck squats a bit without it. Others will say you really don’t need a WDH, which is probably true, but having towed the same combination with and without the WDH, I think it tows more smoothly and compactly with it. It just feels like a more cohesive unit. It has been no trouble to hitch with it either, maybe adds a minute or so to the whole process. Our 19 does have the electric jack, which helps.

As for sway, I’ve never had any trouble, even when getting passed by semis and in strong cross winds.
Ditto.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 21C, 2019 Chevy Colorado V6
I tow a 17B with 2019 V6 Chevy Colorado and use a weight distribution hitch. For me it takes out some bounce while towing versus not using a wdh.
NellieFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
I have a V6 2019 GMC Canyon that has roughly 300HP and tows 7000lbs. I'm going to purchase a 19 so I know I have more than enough tow capacity (and tongue weight). My question is whether I should get a sway bar, weight distribution hitch or nothing?

Anyone else tow with the newer (2015 and up) Canyon/Colorados with V6?
Hi: Lukas... If it was me... I'd try it without first. Then if you feel it's necessary... get one!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21C, 2019 Chevy Colorado V6
I’ll add one more comment about using a wdh. After you have attached and detached a wdh a few times it becomes much easier and quicker to do. That was my initial concern when I started using it. Now I’d estimate it only takes me a couple of minutes longer to hitch or unhitch. Definitely worth the time for a more comfortable and secure ride.
NellieFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #7

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Hi
Have the diesel model and a 19. Travel across Canada, more than 8 500 km during summer with an Blue Ox 750# model.

Have towed a lot in mi life without one but with the 19 it is just in case and to smooth everything on the road. Dont want to abuse the truck or trailler even if sometime I demand a lot from both when going fishing or hunting on less than smooth road.
hondasaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post
Hi
Have the diesel model and a 19. Travel across Canada, more than 8 500 km during summer with an Blue Ox 750# model.

Have towed a lot in mi life without one but with the 19 it is just in case and to smooth everything on the road. Dont want to abuse the truck or trailler even if sometime I demand a lot from both when going fishing or hunting on less than smooth road.
Hi, We are considering a Diesel Canyon to tow our 17B (vs a Subaru Ascent). What kind of mileage have you gotten towing your 19? How is the Colorado to start and operate in cold weather? Thanks for your feedback.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Hi, We are considering a Diesel Canyon to tow our 17B (vs a Subaru Ascent). What kind of mileage have you gotten towing your 19? How is the Colorado to start and operate in cold weather? Thanks for your feedback.
I live in Idaho and have experienced no trouble starting my Colorado Duramax in cold weather. That said, it has not gotten very cold in the time I've had it. The coldest I've ever attempted a start was about 8 degrees F. It fired right up after a slight grumble, but it did start on the first try, and with no hesitation. But if it regularly got colder here, I would put a block heater on it.

As for mpg, that is the beauty of this truck, as others will tell you. My Colorado, which is a 4X4, gets 28 - 34 mpg not towing, depending on whether it's climbing mountain grades and/or facing a headwind. If I push it to 75 or 80 mph, that will bring the mpg down too. When towing, it has never gotten worse than 16 mpg, and it usually ranges between 17 and 21. That's as long as I keep it at 65 mph and under, which works for me anyway because I don't want to go any faster.

I estimate our 19 weighs about 4,200 lbs with full propane and fresh water tank and all our stuff. While I definitely know it's back there, the truck has had no trouble pulling it up some really long, steep grades. The other wonderful feature of these small diesels is they have an exhaust brake, which works incredibly well going down steep grades. Controlling a trailer going downhill is arguably more important than the ability to pull it uphill at speed.

I think you would be very happy and confident towing a 17b with a Canyon Duramax. The Ascent can do it, but it won't do it as well as a Canyon. I'm a life-long Subaru person too, and for me it's a no brainer. Get the Canyon.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Every diesel I have owned came with a plug to use when it gets cold....
Old 12-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Every diesel I have owned came with a plug to use when it gets cold....
In Canada, every vehicle from most manufacturers comes with the plug (for a block heater), whether diesel or gasoline. Most of us never use them.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #12

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
HI

On a 8678 km journey back home with the trailler from BC to Quebec (with about 500 KM without the trailler) the computer stated 12,6 liter/100 km. I've check the calculation a few time and it is much reliable. Travel speed around 105 Km/h.

The truck is 4x4 and has a block heater cord from the factory THAT only work is it is below -18 celsius (thermocouple). No problem with cold temperature as long you wait the about 3 second for the glow plug to heat everything when very cold.

The engine brake is wonderfull and the truck is a charm to drive. My wife did drive it with the trailler and no stress at all.

I would by another diesel canyon tomorrow without hesitation
hondasaurus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #13

ETI said they have these 3:

We have three different options for weight distribution/equalizers:

Pro-Series Weight Distribution - offers load levelling/equalizing (rated for 600lb tongue weight/6000lb trailer weight)
Pro-Series Weight Distribution plus Friction Sway Control Bar – offers load levelling/equalizing and sway control. (you need to disconnect the sway control bar if you need to back up or take a sharp turn) (rated for 600lb tongue weight/6000lb trailer weight)
E2 by Fastway – this provides weight distribution/load levelling plus has a fully integrated sway control system. (no disconnection is required) (rated for 600lb tongue weight/6000lb trailer weight)

Is their already a forum discussing the differences? Any opinions, from other Canyon/Colorado owners, which one would be the best for the V6?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #14

Do you know which sway/wd you got from ETI? They gave me 3 options?
Old 01-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have the Pro Series without sway control ( RAV4 and 17' ).
I don't recall much, if any discussion comparing those three hitches. It's usually between Andersen and another brand.
I also don't recall much discussion about sway being an issue with properly loaded Escape trailers.

A tongue weight scale, like Sherline, is useful to ensure adequate tongue weight.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
WE tow our E21 with GMC Canyon diesel using the E2 WDH we got when we picked up a year ago. It is absolutely a great combination. We figure 28 mpg not towing, 19-20 mpg towing. Less if hilly or there is a big headwind. The E2 is easy to connect and disconnect once you have done it a few times. Cold in northern NM in Winter where we live and have never had any issues starting the diesel. If I could do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would get exactly this same combination of truck, trailer and hitch.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
WE tow our E21 with GMC Canyon diesel using the E2 WDH we got when we picked up a year ago. It is absolutely a great combination. We figure 28 mpg not towing, 19-20 mpg towing. Less if hilly or there is a big headwind. The E2 is easy to connect and disconnect once you have done it a few times. Cold in northern NM in Winter where we live and have never had any issues starting the diesel. If I could do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would get exactly this same combination of truck, trailer and hitch.
I'll second that. We full timed for 2 years and 3 months and traveled thousands of miles. The only problem we had with the diesel Canyon was one flat tire.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote