Gooseneck Adaptor on 5.0 or 5.0TA? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
Apparently an adapter that attaches to the 5.0 trailer king pin and drops down to a 2 5/16 ball mounted just above the truck bed voids the Escape Warranty. The online PDF version of the Owners Manual states:

"• Do not add any type of adapter to the fifth wheel king pin, such as a goose neck adapter. Lengthening the fifth wheel hitch by means of an adapter will transfer greater loads to the chassis, possibly more than the chassis is designed for, and could result in structural damage. Damage that is a direct result of the

use of such an adapter is not covered by Escape Trailer Industries warranty."

This rules out the style I was most interested in, like the Andersen Ranch Hitch Adaptor #3100. https://andersenhitches.com/Products...h-adapter.aspx

The Andersen Ultimate #3220 also seems to fit this definition (any type of adaptor), but since it is shorter it should not exert as much leverage or stress on the trailer frame. Could void the warranty (regarding the frame), costs more, and takes up more room in the truck bed, but probably safer than a longer extension on the king pin.

Bob in SWCO

The adapters used by the Ultimate hitches do not put extra leverage on the kingpin or trailer frame. The ball and socket joint is almost exactly the same height as trailer kingpin. It is positioned about 4" either ahead or behind the pin. There are people on this forum who have picked up their trailers at ETI and had adapters for ultimate hitch installed by ETI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The explicit limitation in the manual is interesting - it was probably added after the events I described in post #8. I agree that this would eliminate Andersen's Ranch Hitch Adapter, but was not likely intended to refer to Andersen's Ultimate 5th Wheel Solution.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
Requested clarification from Escape

I have emailed ETI directly and requested that they clarify the use of the Anderson Ultimate Hitch #3220 for the users on this forum.

I have actually posted the link to this conversation in my request for clarification so that someone from ETI might jump in and address this issue specifically. Let's hope we see some response in a couple of days.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
B&W makes an adapter to convert their hide a ball to a 5th wheel pin hitch, which rotates side to side and front to back.

I found a used on on auto trader. $400 I believe I paid. When I inspected it I discovered a shock designed to control the side to side movement was leaking oil. I called B&W to purchase a new one and they sent it at no charge. Nice to deal with a company that has great customer service.

The unit is heavy and breaks down into two pieces for removal. I use a portable shop crane to move it in and out of the truck. It has a rock solid connection and clanking when towing.
Attached Thumbnails
companion-3500-low-res.product.jpg  
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
I have emailed ETI directly and requested that they clarify the use of the Anderson Ultimate Hitch #3220 for the users on this forum.

I have actually posted the link to this conversation in my request for clarification so that someone from ETI might jump in and address this issue specifically. Let's hope we see some response in a couple of days.
The Anderson Ultimate is NOT a goose neck adapter. ETI does NOT have a problem with the Ultimate hitch. The only thing in common is the actual connection between trailer and tow uses a ball and socket.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 PM   #26

Response from ETI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post

I just received this response from ETI:

Thank you for your email and interest in the Escape 5.0TA.

The Ulitmate Andersen Hitch is very popular with many of our customers. This adapter allows the fifthwheel kingpin hitch to mount onto the Andersen Gooseneck Hitch and is approximate 3” high. Traditionally a Gooseneck Adapter ranges from 20” to 24” and does transfer weight to the chassis.

The Andersen Hitch is new to the market and our Owner’s Manual has not yet been updated to reflect this option. Our 2018 version of the Owner’s Manual will reflect this change.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Tammy Harmatuik, Business Manager

I appreciate that Tammy responded so quickly. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There you go, Escape is already updating their manuals for the new models and their backlog for production is currently around 7 months. Pretty good considering all that has happened in past 12 months, plant expansion, new models, increased production, backlog reduced, and now the paperwork updates....life is good.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Thanks for following up on this issue. Encouraging to see that Escape was flexible enough to adapt to/accommodate a newer product before their paperwork could reflect that adaptation. SWCO
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #29

New tow vehicle

We have an appointment to visit the owner's of a 2016 5.0TA this coming weekend and if all goes as anticipated, we'll be ordering a new fiver from ETI on the morning of the 23rd of October.

We'll be having a new B&W Flip-over gooseneck hitch installed in the new tow vehicle that will allow us to continue to pull our horse trailer. Then we will order the Anderson Ultimate to mate to that newly installed B&W Flip-over gooseneck ball. This solution allows us to continue towing either trailer, as needed.

Getting excited about our preview "date."