Highlander Hybird - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 escape17B
Exclamation Highlander Hybird

I am wanting to get an Escape trailer but so confused on the weight concerns.
I have a 2019 hybird highlander max weight is 3500 lbs . Can I get the Escape 17B or 19?
Anyone else have a hybrid highlander? Thank you
turtlet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The 17B would be your choice, the E19 exceeds your capacity...
Old 03-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We have a 2020 Highlander Hybrid with similar tow and hitch capacities as your 2019. Toyota claims their hybrids are better suited for smaller pop-up type trailers or something like the Chalet (A-frame), and I would probably agree with that having driven our Highlander for six months now. The specs for the 17B indicate its dry weight to be 2640 lbs and that's without any added options (options can add weight). Even if you tow dry, your gear can easily add another 200+ lbs. Then consider your vehicle cargo capacity (passengers, animals, gear). You might also look at the 13' or 16' Scamps or Casitas.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I'd also suggest that while you might be able to get an ETI 17 and all gear to be within weight, the actual frontal area and drag are going to be more than the vehicle was designed and tested for.

The SAE J2807 test aligns trailer frontal area with trailer weight. Vehicles designed for lower weights (like 3500) are probably also designed for small frontal area (25 square feet), at least if they are designed to the SAE standard and probably even if they are not. The engineers would not go looking for a huge, but empty box to use for development testing.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
We have a 17A. During our buying process Escape told us that we must have towing capacity of 4,000 lbs or greater to pull the 17A which has a shipping weight of 2,800 lbs, dry weight I think around 2,200. We specifically asked them about a vehicle with a 3,500 lb towing capacity and they said no. Not even like “well we wouldn’t recommend it” or “you’d need a good WDH” but just flat-out no, you need 4,000 lbs.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Whats The GCWR?
What does GCWR mean? It is the maximum weight of your vehicle with a trailer attached, as determined by the vehicle manufacturer. Combined weight means the weight of both the tow vehicle and the trailer together. It also includes any cargo or load placed in either vehicle.
The rating for gross combined weight or gross combination weight is determined for the vehicle based on the strength of its frame, suspension, axles and other towing-related components.

NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlet2 View Post
I am wanting to get an Escape trailer but so confused on the weight concerns.
I have a 2019 hybird highlander max weight is 3500 lbs . Can I get the Escape 17B or 19?
Anyone else have a hybrid highlander? Thank you

I towed a classic 17B ( 3,200 lbs. loaded ) for 12 years with a 2008 RAV4 V6 Sport with tow-prep ( rated 3,500 / 350 lbs ). Used WDH.

Talking to the service manager once, he said he wouldn't tow a trailer with my RAV4. Well, I did and did it well for more than a decade. What I can't say with any authority is whether my repair bills were higher than if I hadn't towed.
Gave the RAV to my daughter and bought a Highlander ( rated 5,000 / 500 lbs. ). And, then came Covid.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Whats The GCWR?
According to the owner's manual, the GCWR of the 2019 Highlander Hybrid is 9,760 lb (4,430 kg)... substantially less than the 11,000 lb (4,920 kg) of the non-hybrid, which is why the hybrid is rated for only 3,500 lb of trailer instead of 5,000 lb.

One published curb weight for the 2019 Highlander Hybrid (presumably base trim) is 4464 lb, so that would leave 5296 lb for options, people and cargo in the Highlander, and trailer... enough to tow the maximum 3,500 pound trailer and still have 1,796 pounds for options, people, and cargo in the Highlander.

Getting an Escape within the 3,500 pound limit is a challenge, but if the trailer doesn't exceed that limit the vehicle has gross combination weight rating to handle it comfortably.

Of course, there are other limits, such as GVWR and axle ratings.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:59 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17B
I have a 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and would like to get an Escape 17b. As with turtlet2 above, I am concerned. At 3500lbs capacity for my Highlander Hybrid, and the Total Dry Weight being 2640 (without other options), even at 2800 TDW, I'd be only 700lb's from max. Even though I usually travel light, that is worrisome for me. I wish that Escape would make a lighter 17 or a 15 like they used to make.
BioWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioWheels View Post
I have a 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, and would like to get an Escape 17b. As with turtlet2 above, I am concerned. At 3500lbs capacity for my Highlander Hybrid, and the Total Dry Weight being 2640 (without other options), even at 2800 TDW, I'd be only 700lb's from max. Even though I usually travel light, that is worrisome for me. I wish that Escape would make a lighter 17 or a 15 like they used to make.
Supposedly the smaller units took a lot more time /labor to fit everything inside. elimination of some key items could impact future use. It is far better to upgrade your tow vehicle vs downgrading your camping.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
whats the payload of that highlander hybrid? you need to take tongue weight plus weight of the hitch itself into account. highlanders tend to be pretty softly sprung, so will be more prone to pitching aka porpoising when towing, so you might need a WDH with that conbination, these can add 80 lbs or so to your hitch weight, putting you in the 400-500 lb range pretty easily. if the vehicle has a 1200 lb payload (not uncommon), taking 500 lbs off that only leaves you a TOTAL of 700 lbs for *everything* you put in or on the car, including driver and passenger(s).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:09 PM   #12

Jim
My issue is I do not want to change (tow) vehicles. The Toyota Highlander Hybrid I have gets 34-35 mpg (obviously less pulling any trailer), but I want to keep it as my tow vehicle. It is a great car, and needs very little in the way of maintenance. My guess is I'll have to wait till Escape makes a 15' @ a lighter weight, or look for another brand of trailer.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:22 PM   #13
Site Team

a 16 or 17 foot Casita or Scamp has a 3500 lb GWR.

about the only thing lighter is a minimalist teardrop (no water, toilet, shower, use your camp stove under the rear lid), or maybe a 13 foot Scamp (Casita discontinued their 13' model), again, no water or toilet or shower. I dunno about you, but having a flush toilet, and hot shower is a major reason I have a trailer.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:39 PM   #14

Thanks John.

Yes, I in fact looked at the Little Guy Mini Max today. 2200 lbs. Has a shower and toilet. Not bad for just 2 people; has a toilet and shower. But yes, my tow vehicle totally limits me; but like I said, I love that car! and the MPG it gets (especially now). As for the Casita and Scamp; honestly I don't like the wall marine grade carpet. But that's just me. The conundrum of life continues. Thx. Jef
Old 08-05-2022, 06:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 22' 17B
I will be towing with a vehicle limited to 3500 tow capacity. I firmly believe it is doable from anecdotal accounts on here and other forums for my vehicle. However, I must admit- my build was limited in that I decided not to take on any options with significant added weight. So no reinforced walls, front storage box (getting it for resale value but will remove it), no a/c (for now) and no spray foam insulation. I also had to accept I won’t be doing any significantly mountainous roads or serious grades. It’s also just me and my girlfriend, no kids or pets. I know I will need to plan around not traveling any real distance with full tanks and will likely go with only one propane tank. Those are sacrifices I’m willing to take because it gets me the trailer I want without having to upgrade my TV right away.

My advice to you would be to check some rv rental websites like outdoorsy or rvshare and see if you can find a 17 foot escape nearby to try out somewhere not too far away. Older 16 foot casitas and 16 foot Scamps may offer similar experience depending on the options. Note: Casita 17’s are okay on overall weight but if you want a bathroom they late too heavy on hitch weight. Really any trailer in the realm of 2500-2700 lb dry should be adequate for testing assuming the hitch weight isn’t too heavy. That’s what helped my confidence- rented a 16 foot Scamp with similar floor plan to escape 17b and it towed smooth as butter. Granted it was probably a couple hundred lbs less dry than the 17b.

Point is, I definitely think it can be done but you need to be up for the extra care in managing the weight and the sacrifices you’ll need to make. Good luck
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #16
Site Team

I *always* base my towing calculations on GROSS weight rating not dry weight, unless I've actually weighed the fully loaded combination and found it significantly lighter than the GWR.

um, I just looked up Little Guy Mini Max, and their website says DRY weight is 2320 lbs with an (*) that says, All weights are starting points for the base models without common or mandatory factory options. The GWR (gross weight rating) for a Mini Max is the same 3500 lbs as the Scamp or Casita 17's.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Scamp 13 Deluxe layout B says 1600lbs dry. It’s probably more than that, but you could certainly tow it.

Tags
highlander, hybrid, tow