Highlander versus Sorento - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Highlander versus Sorento

Both vehicles are rated at 5,000 lbs for towing with the V6 engine. The Toyota Highlander has the 3.5 l engine while the Kia Sorento has the 3.3l. I’ve heard good things about the Toyota. Does anyone have experience towing with the Sorento? Thanks!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Friend of ours has a humongous truck that broke down on the Coquihalla recently. They rode with with tow truck driver while the truck tagged along behind.

The conversation included which vehicles the tow truck driver encounters most on the infamous Coquihalla ( driver appears from time to time on TV series Highway to Hell ).

He said he spends a lot of time hooking up to Hyundai and Kia.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #3

Thanks

Over the past 10 years I’ve had both 09 Hyundai Santa Fe and currently’ 18 Sorento with no issues with either. Although, I haven’t needed to tow anything. Going to be looking at Escape 19 next week so will need to upgrade tow vehicle since I’m only capable to 3500 lbs now.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I don't knock anyone’s choice of equipment and don’t have any experience with Kias or Hyundai vehicles. So all I will say is that we have had very good results towing with both the 2012 and 2018 Toyota Highlanders. About 45,000 miles towing in the past 6 years on 19 and 21 foot Escapes. I especially like the 8 speed transmission in the 2018 unit. It’s especially good for descending steep grades and staying off the brakes. That’s my experience.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #5

Thanks! I’m leaning towards Toyota. I had a landcruiser many years ago and that was bulletproof except for body rust from a crummy repair job.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
If it were me, I’d being going the Toyota route. They are coming out with a new redesign next year. I’d probably buy before the redesign for reliability purposes. They get some of the best resale numbers as well. But that’s just me.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Subaru Ascent, Hyundai Palisade, and Toyota Highlander, Kia Telluride are all qualified 5,000 lb tow vehicles and all very close in features. Do not forget Volkswagen Atlas is also rated the same. So there are 5 choices to make...
Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #8

We are in the middle of a federal election with candidates trying to be the most green. One party plans to stop sales of all internal combustion vehicles by 2030. That seems to be the trend.

I'm almost 71 years old. My RAV4 is eleven years old and has low mileage. I'm pondering my options. I don't see an all-electric tow vehicle in my future since I avoid full service campgrounds. Do I replace the RAV soon or hope it lasts as long as my desire to camp?
Old 10-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

Hey, I’m 77. Looking to get new trailer and vehicle. I have socks older than 71! ��
Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
We are in the middle of a federal election with candidates trying to be the most green. One party plans to stop sales of all internal combustion vehicles by 2030. That seems to be the trend.

I'm almost 71 years old. My RAV4 is eleven years old and has low mileage. I'm pondering my options. I don't see an all-electric tow vehicle in my future since I avoid full service campgrounds. Do I replace the RAV soon or hope it lasts as long as my desire to camp?
We been asking ourselves a similar question . At 70 years old do we want / need to get a new trailer with all the space / options we desire or live with what we have knowing our days of camping are on a downhill decline .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Friend of ours has a humongous truck that broke down on the Coquihalla recently. They rode with with tow truck driver while the truck tagged along behind.

The conversation included which vehicles the tow truck driver encounters most on the infamous Coquihalla ( driver appears from time to time on TV series Highway to Hell ).

He said he spends a lot of time hooking up to Hyundai and Kia.
I talked with a tow truck driver recently, 45 years experience, he only ever towed 1 Toyota.

Before you buy anything, Google Top 100 Longest Lasting vehicles. Toyota dominates that list.

Last year we drove to LA and back, 8800km. My son counted the broke down cars and trucks. Out of 70, we only counted 1 Toyota, 1 Honda, that’s all I’m going to say.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Same opinion as Dave.

I've owned 8 toyotas--2 trucks, a camry, a corolla wagon, a rav4, and 3 highlanders.

I've towed with the 3 Highlanders: '05 (aframe), '13 (bigger aframe) and an '18 (Escape 17a). I've towed the Escape @ 17,000 miles with no issues at all. I love the safety features. I'm sold.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:33 AM   #13

Click image for larger version

Name:	Santa Fe Loaner.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	42561I don't care, but I have to say, my buddy had an issue with his Hyundai Santa Fe, just before the warranty expired. He pursued the issue.

Hyundai couldn't find parts in North America to repair the engine and the parts they needed were no longer being made by the supplier in Korea.

After some six months with a car, the dealer eventually installed a hitch receiver and brake controller and wiring for the seven-pin in a service vehicle so he could go camping.
Enlarge the image. Here, did it for you.
He traded the Santa Fe in on a Highlander. I'm going to stick with Toyota, if I replace the RAV4.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 10.35.12 PM.jpg  
Old 10-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Do I replace the RAV soon or hope it lasts as long as my desire to camp?
A decade from now isn't soon, and a ban on sales of internal combustion engines won't likely happen then, anyway. If anything actually happens, you'll have lots of notice to go shopping.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
A decade from now isn't soon, and a ban on sales of internal combustion engines won't likely happen then, anyway. If anything actually happens, you'll have lots of notice to go shopping.

This vehicle is eleven years old. My Ford Explorer was twelve when I gave it to my daughter and it promptly blew a head gasket. Before that, I had a Subaru for 13 years.

There are few gas stations today in downtown Vancouver. Most have been sold to build high rise condos and retail. That's a trend that's likely to continue as young people spurn driver's licences and have no desire to own a vehicle, maintain and insure it.

I'm wondering if I buy a new gas vehicle, will I be able to buy fuel for it in eight years?

I guess I could move to Alberta.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Toyota’s forever

Hi, Glenn,

Glad to hear you are pondering these things. I have several thoughts:

1). Test drives — they’re fun and they’re free. Some dealers even give you gift cards to come in. Try different size vehicles and different trim levels. You may say “this is much better” or you may say “this isn’t much better than what I already have.”

2) Some day when you get the news that you can no longer travel, will you say to yourself: I’m glad I had some years in a new vehicle, or will you say I’m glad I saved some money.

3) Our 2003 4Runner V6 has 110,000 miles and still feels and looks like new. Several people asked to buy it this year. We’ll never sell it, and towed our 21 with it again this year while the Ram was in for yet another emissions recall.

4) Whatever you do, don’t look up the article on the million mile Tundra.

Happy pondering,

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Theory

There’s a lot of pondering as Bill says , in the population we call “our generation”. Everybody looks at things a little differently depending upon their personal situation.
One thread that seems to run through life is that terrific memories can be made at little cost if that’s your makeup. My theory is to wear vehicles, tires, or other equipment out instead of letting it age out. A couple of weeks ago I was asked how old the tires on Escapes should be before they were changed out. I was happy to report that I did not know because at three years, mine were down to the point where they needed replacing. The 2018 Highlander turned 45,000 miles earlier this week. The original Michelin latitudes don’t look too bad yet and will make the winter when I don’t drive much or maybe I’ll change them before winter for. new rubber on the road , gotta ponder that. Hope everyone is having a great fall. The Smokies this time of year are lovely. Crisp air, great food, good camping and $2.25 gasoline, how can you beat it.? Gotta burn more gas I guess. Don’t wait to long
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
This vehicle is eleven years old. My Ford Explorer was twelve when I gave it to my daughter and it promptly blew a head gasket. Before that, I had a Subaru for 13 years.

There are few gas stations today in downtown Vancouver. Most have been sold to build high rise condos and retail. That's a trend that's likely to continue as young people spurn driver's licences and have no desire to own a vehicle, maintain and insure it.

I'm wondering if I buy a new gas vehicle, will I be able to buy fuel for it in eight years?

I guess I could move to Alberta.
Maybe we Albertan's can make some extra cash by bringing jerry cans of gasoline across the AB-BC border and selling it you guys on the black market!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I test drove the Honda Passport (5000 pounds and GREAT cargo space, only 5 passenger) and the Honda Ridgeline. Main thing I did not like with the Passport was that it seemed to have poorer visibility than the Ridgeline and was not as peppy. But those two, and the Pilot, have Toyota all beat out when it comes to towing because they come ready to tow. (At least some trims.) All I had to do with my Ridgeline was plug in my brake controller and stick a ball mount in the receiver. I've heard for years about what a pain it was that the tow package on a Toyota does not make the vehicle ready to tow.

Can't comment on the Sorrento. I did look at one early on, mostly comparing it to the Highlander, and have friends who have them and like them, but haven't driven one and don't know anyone towing with one.

I can't see an all-electric tow vehicle in anyone's future very soon, not if you actually want to do a lot of towing. But some day in the future I might have an electric car as an everyday driver.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I've heard for years about what a pain it was that the tow package on a Toyota does not make the vehicle ready to tow.

Toyota doesn't offer a "tow package" ( or didn't ). It offers a "tow prep package". There is a difference and when you understand the difference, it's no surprise.
On my RAV, tow prep included larger radiator, alternator, transmission fluid cooler. As a condition of sale, the dealer brought in an installer who wired the controller and 7-pin and installed a Class 3 for WDH receiver. The Toyota OEM hitch receiver was only Class 2.

I'd ask if the Honda hitch receiver is Class 3 for use with WDH.