highlift axle /F150 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0, 2018/juillet
highlift axle /F150

hello ( need help)

I have to produce my build sheet next week for a 5.0, I still have a point to set. the back of my truck box is 55 1/2 inches, usually I would not need the highlift axle option. but ETI mentions me that it is necessary that my bed of truck drop of 2 inches extra when I will deposit 5.o on my hicht fifhtwheel, that it would be the ideal.

ETI tell me that I must not correct the level of my truck with a suplemetaire blade or a balloon system.
My problem and I do not want to illuminate the top of trees while driving,
Do trucks drop a lot when loaded? do you need highlift axle ?
if i take option highlift axle, this is unconfortable on the road?

I have a curtis hich
F150 4 door, 4x4 2016

thank you

Carol
Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fournier View Post
... the back of my truck box is 55 1/2 inches, usually I would not need the highlift axle option. but ETI mentions me that it is necessary that my bed of truck drop of 2 inches extra when I will deposit 5.o on my hicht fifhtwheel, that it would be the ideal.
My understanding is that they are assuming at a truck with the top of the box at 55.5" with no load would drop to 53.5" when loaded with the trailer, and that would be low enough to work with the trailer. It doesn't really matter how high the truck's box is when not loaded - only how high it is when the trailer is hitched.

Quote:
ETI tell me that I must not correct the level of my truck with a suplemetaire blade or a balloon system.
That does not make sense to me: it doesn't matter to the trailer what springs are used, only how high the truck ends up.

The advantage of air springs is that you can add air to suit the load, so that the truck can be level both with and without the trailer.

For clarity, in this statement I assume that "suplemetaire blade" is intended to mean a supplementary (added) leaf in the truck's leaf springs, and that a "balloon" system is an added air spring (or bag) system.

Quote:
My problem and I do not want to illuminate the top of trees while driving
I think this problem is often exaggerated in discussions. The obvious solution is to aim the headlights when the truck is loaded; when the load is removed the headlights will point lower - as long as that is not too low for good vision, there's no problem.

Many vehicles have had headlights which are automatically adjusted, or are adjustable by the driver. It seems like truck manufacturers don't bother with this, since neither the manufacturer nor the owners care much about the other drivers on the road.

Quote:
Do trucks drop a lot when loaded?
The rear end of any vehicle drops down (causing the headlights to aim higher) when load is added to the rear end... unless it has an adjustable suspension system, which usually means air springs. Trucks are usually not as bad as other types of vehicles for this, because they have relatively stiff springs (because they are expected to carry heavy loads in the rear); however, in this case you're adding a lot of weight.

Quote:
do you need highlift axle ?
The high-lift option for the trailer does not change the trailer's suspension, it only sets the trailer higher. That will tend to make the trailer pitch (nose up and down) more and lean more, but Escape owners typically report that the change is not noticeable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
hello ( need help)

Carol
+1 on Brian's comment on this one. I have gone over this with ETI, and as far as I am concerned, it is nonsense, probably related to some lawyer's comments about liability that could arise if ETI even hints at truck modifications. If you would like to have an entertaining conversation with ETI, ask them to explain in clear technical terms exactly what the problem with air bags is, and let us know how the conversation goes. Perhaps you will get more useful information than I did.

Contrary to ETI's opinion, I think air bags are an excellent idea - they allow you to adjust the height of the hitch in precise response to load. In your case, with the load more or less over the rear axle, neither the air bags (or lack of them) will lift weight off your front wheels, so there should be no significant effect on steering. And, they would allow you to keep your headlights aimed exactly where they are without load.

When combined with a weight distribution hitch rather than the fifth wheel hitch you have, the one proviso here is that if a driver does not understand the setup, pumping the air bags could lift the rear end, but not distribute weight to the front wheels, thereby leaving the vehicle apparently nicely adjusted, but with the front axle badly unloaded. Combining air bags with a weight distribution hitch adds complexity to the setup, and requires that the driver know what he or she is doing.

Your setup would be simple because you do not have to simultaneously deal with two adjustments which interfere with one another. Just pump the air bags up to lift the rear end to its unloaded position once the trailer is loaded. Your hitch height on the truck will have to be set to match trailer requirements when unloaded, which may or may not be made easier with the high lift axle. For what it is worth, my wife and I will be ordering the high lift option on our 21 - it will give us a bit more clearance in rougher camping locations, and with very little in the way of downsides.

I should note that I am not saying that air bags allow you to exceed your payload, I will leave that can of worms to others. I am just saying that in your application, they would nicely and safely allow adjustment of hitch height in response to load if you are interested in being able to do that. I expect that your 150 will be perfectly happy, other than headlight adjustment, with or without them.

Just my two cents.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you have the newer F-150 with an Anderson Ultimate Hitch, a 5.0TA without a lifted axle, then with the hitch set at its lowest setting the trailer sits just a bit high when hitched to the truck. This is with the truck settling around 2" (just a WAG, I never actually measured it). If you were to add airbags to lift the rear end of the truck, you would raise the front of the trailer by the same amount.

I feel no need at all for having air bags, as the ride is quite incredible as it is. Unless you hit a hard bump or dip, I feel it rides as well as it does on its own. Tracking is even steadier while towing the 5.0TA, even in a moderate crosswind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

i receive this yesterday from ETI ,

Good morning Carol

Thank you for your email.

I have enclosed a couple of photos of the highlift axel it is a little hard to tell in the picture you sent me. With a truck that is 55.6 inches you should be ok without the high lift assuming you do not have extra shock absorbers, or air suspension or something that will not allow your truck to drop down with the weight of the trailer put on the bed.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
hello ( need help)

I have the high lift axle option and enjoy it. I posted pictures of my truck and 5th wheel:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...-ta-11544.html

This is the first time I've tried to insert a link to a previous post. Hopefully you'll be able to see it. By the way, my truck bed height is 56 inches.

Art
Arthur John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
My 2016 F150 is 55.5” at top of bed rail. Have no problem hitching and towing my 2017 5.0TA with the standard axle. The truck and trailer ride almost dead level with the standard suspension which rides great. You shouldn’t have a problem. I’m using the Anderson Ultimate hitch and could not be happier with it.😎
Attached Thumbnails
4DD1D796-F1F6-49B6-BED3-0D317F2001E2.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 AM   #8

I want to thank you all for your comments, they will be of great help in making our decision on the famous highlift axle, take it or not take it

currently on my truck i use a half spring, when i'm not loaded this spring doent work, it start to work when i load over 500 pounds, my bed dont drop more than 1/2 inches, i do not have a adjust anything. except during the initial installation. this system is perfect for carrying my snowmobile (600 pds) and my ATV.

I installed this spring it was to tow my fifthwheel, a 28 foot laredo of 7800 pounds, 1600 pounds in the bed, my drop was 1 inch

The users of fifhtwheel regularly use this system, at least in the east of the country,

*you'll tell me it's too heavy for my truck, I know, in Canada, more than 50% truck pulling fifthwheel is illegal.

and I do not want to be part of that percentage anymore

**that's why for my 5.o I do not want any compromise.

Thanks again to everyone

http://www.diyfanatics.co.za/1-thick...per-spring.jpg
Old 03-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Looks to me like if that helper spring is a problem it wouldn’t be hard to remove it.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote