Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
GCS

Trailer: 1976 Aljo
Hitch

From what I have been reading I will not need anything special to tow a new Escape 21 footer. Towing with a 2010 5.4 F150 Supercab with very low miles. This vehicle was purchased new and has hardly been used at all. Have heard that my stock mirrors are also good to go. Your thoughts.
GCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
As long as you have an integrated brake controller then you are correct, and a stinger w/ball. If no controller you'd have to have one installed, the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 is a good one.

A weight distribution hitch is optional and you can wait and see how the truck handles, sway and so forth.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
GCS

Cool. What is a stinger ? Tow vehicle has anti sway control built in. Have been told this works great if and when needed.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Hitch

"Stinger" is slang for the square bar you insert into your hitch slot. It's what the ball is attached to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
GCS

Gotcha. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post
Have heard that my stock mirrors are also good to go.
The current Ford F-150 is 80" wide across the body, and the Escape 21' is 88 inches wide at the widest point (and almost that wide top to bottom with the new vertical-sided body design) so the inside edges of the mirrors are roughly lined up with the trailer sides. The standard mirrors are 96.5" across the outsides, so there is some mirror area beyond the trailer, and the standard mirrors can work.

Although the 2010 is a previous body style, I don't think that the dimensions have changed much.

It would be much more effective to have the towing mirrors (which I assume were available in 2010). The current ones are 105.9" across the outside, so 9" beyond the trailer on each side. That's probably intended to be adequate for significantly wider trailers, and should be very good for any Escape.

If you have the standard mirrors and you find they are not wide enough, you can buy factory-style towing mirrors aftermarket and install them. This is one advantage of towing with a common pickup truck (rather than other types of vehicle which are not used as commonly for towing) - aftermarket parts are readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
"Stinger" is slang for the square bar you insert into your hitch slot. It's what the ball is attached to.
Yes. It is correctly called a "ball mount"... it's easier to find things by using the name used by the companies which make them.

There's nothing special about the ball mount to use with an Escape - you just need one with the right drop or rise (height change from the top of the hitch receiver opening to the base of the ball) to hold the trailer level.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
GCS

Sounds good. I priced a set of stock trailer mirrors some time ago. They priced out at around $600.00. Sounded a little steep to me so I decided to call a couple of salvage yards. If I can find some for around $300.00 I will jump on tbem. Right now I am waiting to see the new changes for the Escape 21 before I submit my order. Hope they do something about the main bed. I am at the point where I am doing lots of research and putting together a build list. I have taken the Airstream tour and was not impressed at all. Especially with the acres of trailers they had on their lots waiting to be repaired. Would not believe the problems they have. Fiberglass is the way to go. My next tour is Hoenwald, TNN. Next week as a matter of fact. Should be interesting.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 F250
Extended mirrors

Quote:
From what I have been reading I will not need anything special to tow a new Escape 21 footer. Towing with a 2010 5.4 F150 Supercab with very low miles. This vehicle was purchased new and has hardly been used at all. Have heard that my stock mirrors are also good to go. Your thoughts.
I find that extended mirrors help me " get behind" the edge of the trailer and is a great compliment to a review camera. The mirrors can be aimed at the rear corners and beyond. The benefit is in the ability to angle the mirror separately.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Fiberglass is the way to go. My next tour is Hoenwald, TNN. Next week as a matter of fact. Should be interesting.
Since the Oliver plant is about 100 miles from our house, we took that tour when we were shopping. They have several attractive features. Just keep in mind their weight, extra length, and 10' + height. Since the aisle splits the main bed area, it has to be made up everyday, or used as twin beds, but when made up, it is huge.

Please post a few pictures. We all enjoy looking. Also ask what production number they are up to. I think it's between 100 and 200.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Since the Oliver plant is about 100 miles from our house, we took that tour when we were shopping. They have several attractive features. Just keep in mind their weight, extra length, and 10' + height. Since the aisle splits the main bed area, it has to be made up everyday, or used as twin beds, but when made up, it is huge.

Please post a few pictures. We all enjoy looking. Also ask what production number they are up to. I think it's between 100 and 200.
Bill
We were lucky to see #2 and we were impressed . Wish we lived as close to plant as you to check out what they are doing now . Would love pictures also. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote