Hitch coupler lock - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yup have same wheel locking wheel chocks ! Pat
Also we have a sturdy wheel lock like the Brama . Pe chain and the Stanley lock . Lock our chains together and lock hitch with a hitch ball enclosed we already had . Could also put chain through wheels but mostly use to lock generator to trailer frame . We have many options and use what we feel we need at the time . Have some more security but keeping that under wraps . I guess you do as much or little as you feel . It is a personal peference . No one is right or wrong . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
Hitch Coupler Lock Alternative

We have a wheel boot that completely covers one wheel. It would take a lot of dedication (and noise) to remove it without the key.

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #23

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I like a multi-tiered approach to security. I do use a hitch lock, and if I’m feeling extra paranoid will lock the safety chains with a hefty padlock through the propane tanks.

My favorite deterrent, however, is also my favorite set of chocks - Fastway’s Step Chocks. Fast, solid, secure set of chocks, and it’s easy to add a padlock to prevent the casual thief from removing them once they’re in place: Attachment 38146

On the other side of the trailer I’ll add a boot if situation warrants: Attachment 38147

And all five wheels, including spare, have one locking lug nut to prevent someone defeating either the boot or locking chocks by simply pulling the wheels.

The fast way is nice but be careful on the type of surface you use it on if you are having theft issues. The theives could simply dig a little gravel/dirt out to loosen it up and it slides right out. I set mine up on uneven surfaces by removing gravel all the time, so I don't have to bother with adjusting it.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
The fast way is nice but be careful on the type of surface you use it on if you are having theft issues. The theives could simply dig a little gravel/dirt out to loosen it up and it slides right out. I set mine up on uneven surfaces by removing gravel all the time, so I don't have to bother with adjusting it.

That’s why I take a layered approach to security with multiple overlapping strategies, and without a single point of failure.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
A hitch lock & insurance is about as far as I've been willing to go. I could see some sort of wheel lock if it was easy enough to manage but hard to defeat.

Mostly I'm relying on the thieves to know to pass our little old fashioned trailer in favor of one of the nice fancy ones with slides!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17B
Thanks a lot for the ideas shared here.
I have got combination way to secure our trailer. Besides hitch lock, we could put devices like infrasound detector/alarm, vibrate/motion alarm which give off 120 db sound when active. It would be hard for theft to break lock on this loud noise.
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
watch a few of these, and you'll never trust a lock again, hah hah.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9...oZOh6FQ/videos

example: newer style Kryptonite U lock with a 'disk key' lock.

or some gnarly euro lock

he makes it look so easy.

btw, I bought that bike lock for my wife's 'comfort bike' that i converted to an ebike. seemed like the best compromise between security and size/complexity.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage99 View Post
Thanks a lot for the ideas shared here.
I have got combination way to secure our trailer. Besides hitch lock, we could put devices like infrasound detector/alarm, vibrate/motion alarm which give off 120 db sound when active. It would be hard for theft to break lock on this loud noise.
Not sure if you're serious about this, but I would suggest that if you are, depending on where the trailer is parked and how long you're gone, you might find that having your trailer stolen is the least of your problems if the alarm is ever triggered.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
My philosophy on audible alarms is that it's okay to use them if you are going to be where you can hear it - all of the time that it is set - and absolutely will run to it if it sounds. If you're not prepared to do those things, you should be ready accept that someone who can hear it will cut otherwise disable the alarm and/or call your local bylaw enforcement authority with a noise complaint.

I've heard many car alarms sound in parking lots. I've never once seen anyone breaking into a car, and I've never once seen an owner come out to check on the vehicle. They might discourage thieves (although they probably make no difference to smash-and-grab types), but they are certainly an unnecessary annoyance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote