Hitch coupler lock - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B
Hitch coupler lock

Hi there,

I am a newbie, and I am looking for buying hitch coupler lock these days. What I found is even the high rating locks from google or amazon could be broken by hand bolt cutter or craw bar in less than 10 seconds! Only 2 locks- Proven industry and Ft knox so far seem fight well against cutter, but they are over 300 US dollars and you have to buy them from US.
Just wondering what locks you guys use and if it's worthy buying a $300+ lock?

Thanks

Chester
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Locks keep honest people, honest. Crooks do not abide. Keep good insurance coverage and use a coupler lock, although easily broken, still is a deterrent and will slow them down.. I'm sure in Canada, Princess Auto or Schwabs have something, even a reinforced cable through the wheels will slow them down.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage99 View Post
Just wondering what locks you guys use and if it's worthy buying a $300+ lock?

Thanks

Chester

I use this one. I think it cost under $10. Been using it for ten years and nobody has stolen my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Hitch lock.jpg  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
People use the mega locks like you mention, chains thru the wheels, wheel locks.

If I were using a storage lot, I'd spend the $ for a mega lock or wheel lock. As I store at home I use nothing. Never had a need when traveling although I do have the optional $30 ETI lock I use once in a while when leaving the trailer in a shabby looking place, makes me feel better.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Sometimes if you do things out of the norm, you can stump the low life.

I have the hitch lock, wheel cables but I also put in a hidden switch so the power tongue jack won’t work. Unless they can lift 400 lbs and drive around with the jack down...they are kind of out of luck. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post271270

If you have a manual jack you can replace the bolt on the jack handle with a removable pin. This will allow you to remove the jack handle.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #6
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
The above mods mentioned by Eggscape are smart, like those!

We researched all of the theft deterrent ideas from the cheap ones to the expensive ones, and found that most deterrents had some related experiences where people still in some cases were targeted by thieves. In the end, we just got a few different things to deter thieves- it may only slow them down, or it may make them look at another less protected trailer in a campground, who knows?! We got two wheel locks for the one side (tandem axle) so they can't just take off the one wheel with the lock on it and still tow away the trailer with the other wheel on the one side. We did get a heavy duty coupler lock- the one from Princess Auto was so cheaply made. We put a padlock through the pin of the coupler in the closed position with the coupler lock inside. We also put a lock around the propane tanks as these are commonly stolen off the trailer in some campgrounds, or so we've heard from fellow campers. Batteries are also commonly stolen if you have a trailer where the batteries are accessible from the outside.

We also got a lock for the hitch when it is on the truck so thieves cannot steal the expensive hitch, or remove it from the truck to steal the trailer when it is hooked up.
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #7
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I use this one. I think it cost under $10. Been using it for ten years and nobody has stolen my trailer.
Not sure what that proves... I bet lots of people use no lock, and have not had their trailers stolen. Still, it does look like a nice lock.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
Not sure what that proves... I bet lots of people use no lock, and have not had their trailers stolen.
I think that's the point. I've never used a coupler lock while camping or while in storage at home, only while towing (so it is locked while parked at fuel stops, etc). If a trailer with a big fancy lock is never stolen, that's not evidence that a big fancy lock is needed to prevent theft.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:53 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17B
Thank you guys so much for sharing your ideas, really appreciate
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This is the only hitch lock I use. (note: elaboration in the tool kit topic.) My only other protection against theft is, when parked anywhere I think is potentially insecure, I make it my business to every 7-14 minutes eyeball the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch.jpg  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
When we had our Flagstaff trailer, I read on their forum about a guy who had his trailer stolen from a campground in Big Bend NP. Hard to believe but it apparently happened. We lock our E21 up when we are out hiking or exploring for the day. We had a Reese cheapo hitch lock which I dumped in favor of this one below which I like. I also chain the chains together under the hitch with a heavy Stanley lock. https://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-632...e%2C209&sr=1-1
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
When we had our Flagstaff trailer, I read on their forum about a guy who had his trailer stolen from a campground in Big Bend NP. Hard to believe but it apparently happened. We lock our E21 up when we are out hiking or exploring for the day. We had a Reese cheapo hitch lock which I dumped in favor of this one below which I like. I also chain the chains together under the hitch with a heavy Stanley lock. https://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-632...e%2C209&sr=1-1
A thief won't care about a coupler lock - they just throw a chain around the tongue and drive off. The best way to keep your trailer from being stolen is a wheel lock.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post

I have one of those plus one like post #3 on a utility trailer. Seems like a good lock and would deter most thieves. Camper has a whimpy hitch lock. Need to think on that one for a bit...
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
My research convinced me that a coupler lock alone, no matter how robust, was pretty much a waste of money. I use a Brahma wheel lock which is installed whenever the trailer is parked (we normally spend our days away from the trailer). It's of course defeatable with enough effort and noise, but that's what insurance is for.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:14 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I'm lucky because of the business I own to have a warehouse to store our Escape inside but.......... about 2 months ago our business was broken into, my business partner keeps the Casita I sold him in our warehouse as well. The Casita was unlocked and they went through it, our Escape was lock but luckily they did not attempt to break into it, only imagine damage they could have done to door. Now I leave it unlocked in the warehouse, nothing left in it more valuable then a busted door.
My thought is don't make it easy, put the best lock you can afford on the tongue, I like the idea of doing one or the other to the tongue jack depending on manual or electric. I also suggest at least running chains through the wheels, wrap around the wheels through the holes in the rim. Most thieves willing to steal something like a trailer I think are looking for the easy target, just don't make yours easy.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
A thief won't care about a coupler lock - they just throw a chain around the tongue and drive off. The best way to keep your trailer from being stolen is a wheel lock.

I like a multi-tiered approach to security. I do use a hitch lock, and if I’m feeling extra paranoid will lock the safety chains with a hefty padlock through the propane tanks.

My favorite deterrent, however, is also my favorite set of chocks - Fastway’s Step Chocks. Fast, solid, secure set of chocks, and it’s easy to add a padlock to prevent the casual thief from removing them once they’re in place: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	38146

On the other side of the trailer I’ll add a boot if situation warrants: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	38147

And all five wheels, including spare, have one locking lug nut to prevent someone defeating either the boot or locking chocks by simply pulling the wheels.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
My favorite deterrent, however, is also my favorite set of chocks - Fastway’s Step Chocks. Fast, solid, secure set of chocks, and it’s easy to add a padlock to prevent the casual thief from removing them once they’re in place:
Thanks for the idea! I have the same chocks but never thought to put a lock on it.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Thanks for the idea! I have the same chocks but never thought to put a lock on it.
Yup have same wheel locking wheel chocks ! Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0526.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I use a Master Hitch lock , less than $10 at Menards and I have insurance
Anything more elaborate than that is more than I am willing to do
They stole my neighbors Ford tractor that was chained , cabled and locked in every imaginable / conceivable way . Ten minutes with a battery grinder and they were in and out of there
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I too use a $10 hitch lock. I've had it for ten years and neither it nor the trailer have been stolen, so it must work.