Hitch Coupler Lock-Fastway Max Security Universal - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Hitch Coupler Lock-Fastway Max Security Universal

We will pick up our new Escape 19' October 30. Trying to take care of some essentials prior to pickup. Wanting to protect my investment, I will buy a coupler lock to use when unhitched. I like what I read about the Fastway Max Security Universal Couple Lock. I want to be sure it fits and seems secure. Anyone using that lock?

Already ordered the Nemesis wheel lock to use when trailer is in the storage lot.

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
We will pick up our new Escape 19' October 30. Trying to take care of some essentials prior to pickup. Wanting to protect my investment, I will buy a coupler lock to use when unhitched. I like what I read about the Fastway Max Security Universal Couple Lock. I want to be sure it fits and seems secure. Anyone using that lock?

Already ordered the Nemesis wheel lock to use when trailer is in the storage lot.
I have been using the DT 25013 lock on my flat bed (2" ball) and cargo trailer (2 5/16" ball). The cargo trailer dealer put these on all of his stock and claimed to have never lost a trailer. I'm sure lighting and location helped with that too. I think this is an earlier version of the lock you mentioned above.

DT-25013 - DT Maximum Security Trailer Coupler Lock

https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-DT-25...SIN=B00JRYHH42
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The hoop style coupler locks are better than nothing, but they are easily defeated with a heavy duty pry bar or bolt cutters. The locks that completely encase the coupler area are far more effective. You decide if that's worth them costing 4 or 5 times more.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #4

Keith and Lauren: The SKU code on your suggestion is the very same as the one I was asking about, so I assume they are the same lock. Do you use it on your Escape? You mentioned using it on two trailers, but not your Escape.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
We bought a Proven Industries lock (kind of like the Megahitch design) and i think it will deter the honest thieves. Nothing is theft proof. There was a whole thread discussing this. Even with the best hitch lock I saw a video where the thieves hooked the chains together with a bolt and drove off in minutes, hitch lock and all. So I guess you need to remove your safety chains too. Really, find the other thread by searching hitch lock and you will see everyone's ideas from locks to GPS tracking devices.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Keith and Lauren: The SKU code on your suggestion is the very same as the one I was asking about, so I assume they are the same lock. Do you use it on your Escape? You mentioned using it on two trailers, but not your Escape.
Our Escape will not be completed until January 2018. I am not sure what type of lock I will use on our Escape - probably security in depth - a coupler lock (so far I like this one) and a wheel lock. Multiple defenses will keep casual crooks away and will delay the real nefarious characters. This lock has served us well as a deterrent on our flat bed and our cargo trailer.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The hoop style coupler locks are better than nothing, but they are easily defeated with a heavy duty pry bar or bolt cutters. The locks that completely encase the coupler area are far more effective. You decide if that's worth them costing 4 or 5 times more.
Absolutely correct - the purpose of any lock is as a deterrent - it will keep the casual crooks away and will delay the real nefarious characters. I view the aforementioned lock as a bit better than the common $10 locks but, as you noted, there are much better, high end coupler locks out there.

I always subscribe to security in depth - multiple barriers that will deter as many crooks as possible. I will have a high end wheel lock and some sort of coupler lock plus I might have other options available such as disconnecting chains to discourage the bad guys. I will deploy my options based on the location and potential need for additional security measures. It is a shame that we need to think about theft but a little prevention in the form of discouraging crooks may just prevent the loss of my property.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 PM   #8

Appropriate deterrence is exactly my strategy. I will be using the Nemesis wheel lock which appears to be top shelf, but may only use it in storage lot (or when camping if I am feeling paranoid). Goal with my hitch lock selection is to make our unit harder to steal than our neighbor's. Kinda like that old adage about outrunning a bear: You don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than your hiking partner.

Also, I think the Fastway coupler lock would be difficult enough to remove that the attempt would attract the attention of fellow campers.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
I plan to buy the ProvenLocks hitch cover. I think $235 US. The videos from ProvenLocks showing them defeating all the other products in less than a minute sold me.
Plus, I bought a chain and padlock to go through the spokes of the wheel.
ABUS chain and Stanley lock that beat most others in the torture tests. YouTube is so fun. These guys out there who do crude, but effective product testing.
The chain and padlock can be used for other things too, like locking bikes to the rack, or bikes locked in camp or generator, etc. So, I could end up owning 2 padlocks and chain setups.
Nov 22 completion. getting closer. Hi guys.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #10

Smile Don't set up near us!

We'll just make it a point to not camp next to you, Jeff as WE would have the easier unit to steal!

Old 09-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Best have a secure place to store all that stuff when it's not in use.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #12

Cool

Do they sell locks to lock up locks?

Old 09-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
They sell "tools to fix tools", so "locks to lock up locks" must exist.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote