Hitch for a 5.0 TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
.... I may opt for the toolbox one they offer because being able to lock things up sounds like a good idea too…..now if I can just land me a 5.0!
Perhaps of interest, just FYI ...
  • 2005 F150 Supercab 2WD with 6.5ft box, 1729# 'sticker payload'
  • Andersen 3220 hitch (not 'toolbox version')
  • Kobalt (Lowes) toolbox, 12" front-to-back, 13.5" total depth, 2.5" above the bed rails
I've had that toolbox on the truck for years before getting my 5.0, not the biggest in the world but for me a handy compromise between lost bed space and additional enclosed 'rough items' storage. As it is pictured with the 5.0 ....
  • The trailer will jackknife to 90 degrees (and a tad tighter) without hitting the cab (I tested)
  • Vertical clearances are fantastic at all horizontal angles (trailer has lift kit) - methinks it'll accommodate a large range of odd horizontal + vertical angles and twists (but obviously not limitless)
  • It tows like a dream, hitching is super easy
The Andersen ball is in the middle height position, the truck has Firestone airbags not to boost capacity (they can't) but to tweak the rig to 'purrfect level'

Have Fun!
Attached Thumbnails
ANDERSEN STANDARD WITH TOOLBOX.jpg  
Old 10-06-2021, 11:47 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
My wife and I have a 2010 Silverado Z71 with 43,000 and no rust. Well taken care of truck that I bought new. We plan to buy a 5.0 TA and I wanted to know what hitch you all would recommend to a first time RV tower. I see a lot of people like the Andersen Ultimate , is there only one model of this? When looking online I see this hitch come in a black and a silver aluminum color. Is there a difference? If recommending a hitch, can you tell me a model number so I can research it and the costs? Thanks in advance for your help!
Our new RAM came with a thick plastic bedliner. I took that out and did a sprayed on bed liner. We went with the black, smaller, steel version, Anderson on bed rails for the extra bed space. When not using the hitch I cut down the sides of the plastic liner to make it easy to put it in and take it out. The plastic liner makes everything nice and flat so you mostly wouldn't know the rails are underneath and it protects my spayed liner from cargo scratches.
Our truck has a 1746 payload but like to use that for gear and not a heavier hitch.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 5.0TA
Rails in a short-box Tundra which we really like. Both of us have found backing and hooking up really easy to do. Allows sharp turns with no problem.

One reason I opted for the steel pyramid (Ultimate) is steel is more damage tolerant than aluminum. Dropping an object onto aluminum tube could really leave you with a problem. Tradeoff with steel is having to keep an eye on corrosion.
sameo416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
These are some views of the 5.0, Andersen Tool Box model and a UWS Fifth Wheel Toolbox mounted to the factory cargo slides.
No problem with cab or tailgate collisions at even 6o degrees
We run a 2020 Ram Crew Cab Short bed.
Congrats on your 5.0 TA! You’re in for a great experience!
Attached Thumbnails
3078A827-6D31-45E6-96EE-23AB93F51F07.jpeg  
Attached Images

Cogswheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in with their experiences…..thank you everyone.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as they come up, being a newbie to Escapes and still trying to find a nice. 5.0 TA.

Winter is approaching here in NY. Hope to find one by spring. So I have time.
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote