Hitch for a 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2021, 03:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Hitch for a 5.0 TA

My wife and I have a 2010 Silverado Z71 with 43,000 and no rust. Well taken care of truck that I bought new. We plan to buy a 5.0 TA and I wanted to know what hitch you all would recommend to a first time RV tower. I see a lot of people like the Andersen Ultimate , is there only one model of this? When looking online I see this hitch come in a black and a silver aluminum color. Is there a difference? If recommending a hitch, can you tell me a model number so I can research it and the costs? Thanks in advance for your help!
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would highly recommend the Anderson, not only is it nice to use and works great, the light weight is great for moving it around.

There is the gooseneck and rail mount. I went with the gooseneck so that I could easily I have a flat bed in the Box for hauling stuff for work. In hindsight, I would rather have the real mount. Not only is it a bit cheaper, but it is a bit smaller too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
The black Andersen Ultimate is the rail-mounted version. The silver aluminum gooseneck version is for trucks with a gooseneck ball installed in the center of the truck bed.

Check them out at:

https://andersenhitches.com/collecti...mate-5th-wheel
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
We are happy Andersen Ultimate on rails. If the payload is limited, it is a good choice as the weight is less than the alternatives. We do have supplementary chains as well and would recommend them.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
The black Andersen Ultimate is the rail-mounted version. The silver aluminum gooseneck version is for trucks with a gooseneck ball installed in the center of the truck bed.

Check them out at:

https://andersenhitches.com/collecti...mate-5th-wheel
Both rail and gooseneck are available in aluminum. At least I have seen both before.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
On the advice of the couple that showed us their camper we purchased the black, rail version. They had the silver, gooseneck version and it had a much larger footprint (rectangular frame) and the outside frame prevented boxes from sitting on top. We've had rails previously and they don't bother us.

We haul a trike in the back bed and had we purchased the gooseneck version the trike never would have fit.

The Anderson rail version weighs about 40 pounds. My previous Rease 5th wheel hitch was around 110 pounds.

We have an Andersen Leveler, Rapid Jack, wedges, and previously had their weight distribution hitch for our 25' Cougar pull type and their greaseless ball for our Casita. Andersen makes great products.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I would also look at conventional 5th Wheel hitches, such as the Curt, the Demco Recon, and the B&W. Unlike the Andersen, conventional hitches do not require safety chains. They are, however, heavier and therefore more effort is required to remove them from the truck should you wish to do so. Most have a base and a head. My current hitch is the Demco Recon. Had the Curt but it got damaged when it got bumped off of sawhorses it was resting on for annual maintenance. I could have replaced the top plate but I like the Demco better. I leave the base in my truck, and remove the head when not towing. The only time I remove the base is on the rare occasion I have to move stuff.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suregrip391 View Post
I see a lot of people like the Andersen Ultimate , is there only one model of this? When looking online I see this hitch come in a black and a silver aluminum color. Is there a difference?
In case it's not clear from the earlier responses, the black Andersen hitches are painted steel, and the silver-coloured are aluminum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
On the advice of the couple that showed us their camper we purchased the black, rail version. They had the silver, gooseneck version and it had a much larger footprint (rectangular frame) and the outside frame prevented boxes from sitting on top. We've had rails previously and they don't bother us.
The material (steel or aluminum) doesn't change the footprint, but as Perry explained the version which anchors to a "gooseneck" hitch in the bed has a larger base (larger footprint) than the rail-mounted version.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I 'm not 100% sure but I think the Black (steel version) is only on the rail mount version, and the Aluminum is the gooseneck version.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I bought my 5.0 used and it came with the gooseneck version so that's what I set up in my truck, but now that I've had it for a while, I can confidently say that if I was starting from scratch, I'd go for the rail mount because of the smaller footprint. I would much rather have more bed-floor space than the absence of the rails...but maybe that's just because the grass is always greener
Old 09-29-2021, 08:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would highly recommend the Anderson, not only is it nice to use and works great, the light weight is great for moving it around.

There is the gooseneck and rail mount. I went with the gooseneck so that I could easily I have a flat bed in the Box for hauling stuff for work. In hindsight, I would rather have the real mount. Not only is it a bit cheaper, but it is a bit smaller too.
Now that’s some really helpful advice, much thx especially since I’m headed out today to setup my installation on a 2021 Tundra 6’ bed.
The rails wont be a problem as I kept my Tacoma to use as my work truck, I prefer working out of a smaller pickup anyway.

There are 6 different fifth wheel hitches Andersen offers.

3200 is the rail mount for $730—it is for the at least 6’ truck bed

3220 is the ball mount for $940—it is for the shorter beds, or if you want the floor of your bed to be smooth. The trailer mounting ball being offset is helpful with the shorter beds.

3220tbx is a ball mount that is designed to be compatible with a toolbox.

The other 3 are more specialty hitches.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
My wife and I have a 2010 Silverado Z71 with 43,000 and no rust. Well taken care of truck that I bought new. We plan to buy a 5.0 TA and I wanted to know what hitch you all would recommend to a first time RV tower. I see a lot of people like the Andersen Ultimate , is there only one model of this? When looking online I see this hitch come in a black and a silver aluminum color. Is there a difference? If recommending a hitch, can you tell me a model number so I can research it and the costs? Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi: Suregrip391... The only hitch for a 5.0TA is getting one!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
I have the Tundra with a six and a half foot bed with Anderson hitch on a gooseneck and I can do 90° and not hit anything but then I've only had it for about 200 mi.
WanderBred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i have a short bed F150 i use the Anderson with the turn over ball -no rails. i like it because i have a completely empty bed to haul stuff when i need it. Its light and easy to remove. both hitches rail and ball are great just depends on what you need.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i have a short bed F150 i use the Anderson with the turn over ball -no rails. i like it because i have a completely empty bed to haul stuff when i need it. Its light and easy to remove. both hitches rail and ball are great just depends on what you need.
We use the bed of our truck all the time with the Andersen rail mounted hitch removed. Have yet to have a problem with the 1" tall rails impeding anything. I also haul firewood, dirt, and wood chips back there.

Currently we have a ramp for my trike on the passenger side of the hitch, and a box, that wouldn't fit with the turnover ball version, on the drivers side of the hitch.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-29-2021, 04:30 PM   #17

Awesome, lots of great info! Questions….

The black one is the steel one and is rail mounted…. This means it leaves the rails in the truck bed, approx 1” high? This style is still removable, lightweight, easy to remove for using the bed, correct?

The aluminum one, well, we know that one is lightweight…. But is a bigger framed one when installed compared to the one mentioned above? When removed, leaves a clean empty bed?

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the damaged folded over Anderson hitch we all have seen pictures of. I think that since nobody knows EXACTLY the circumstances that led up to the fauilure, most have come to the conclusion that there must have been an accident involved to cause what happened!

Does anyone feel either of these hitches are flimsy? One stronger then the other? Would the steel version be stronger for piece of mind or both equally safe?

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-29-2021, 04:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
.... Does anyone feel either of these hitches are flimsy? One stronger then the other? Would the steel version be stronger for piece of mind or both equally safe? ....
Given the apparent size of the rig in that notorious 'details unknown' failure report, the ~24k# GTWR and ~4.5K# tongue weight ratings, and no reports of anyone on this forum suffering a 'structural failure' with our 'undersized' 5.5k#GTWR Escape 5.0's ....

.... Nope, I've got no concerns whatsoever about any of the Andersen hitches in our application. Loving mine which happens to be the turnoverball mount per my truck use preference, which means it happens to be aluminum (no worries!).

As with any structure fabricated with tubes, if one somehow managed to ding / dimple / crease a tube (can't imagine how?) I'd toss the thing in an instant (and replace it with the un-damaged same).
Old 09-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
mine is aluminum (ball mount) and seems very strong i love it - no complaints. i like to have a completely empty bed for gravel etc. when not hauling but, it sounds like the rails don't get in the way for most usage and a bit of extra room sounds good too. i don't carry a lot in the truck bed a few chairs light wait rug gas fit pit - i don't have much payload with my truck so i really cant carry anything large anyway.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #20

Thanks for the additional info! I may opt for the toolbox one they offer because being able to lock things up sounds like a good idea too…..now if I can just land me a 5.0!