hitch height? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 E19
Send a message via MSN to Lynda Send a message via Yahoo to Lynda
hitch height?

The end of June, I was in an accident with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Thankfully, no injuries, but my Jeep was totaled. Of course this was the vehicle I used to tow my 2019 19 Escape.. With the help of great insurance, I'm the proud new owner of a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee! I was able to go to the salvage yard and retrieve my Fastway E2 WDH. Now I'm getting ready to put it on the new Jeep and I'm remembering when I bought the Escape in 2018, I had to measure from the ground to the center of my hitch on the old Jeep and send the measurement to Escape, so they could set the hitch up for me... I'm not sure I can assume the hitch height on the new Jeep is the same as the old one -- the 2014 had 18" wheels, the 2015 has 20" wheels.
Question: What do I need to measure, and then what do I do with the measurement??
I’m looking for “WDH for Dummies.” I know I won’t have the physical strength to do this myself, so I’ll be getting a big strong friend to help me and I’ll want to explain to him what I need..(I’ve already looked at Fastway’s website – not much help there). I’ve also watched this video, which I think is very helpful:
Anything else I should be aware of; or any words of wisdom?
TIA
Lynda~
Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Unless you have some heavy tools and a good shop, plus the experience, your best bet would be contact a local trailer shop that sells WDH. I'd first look for a Fastway dealer.

As you know, the weight alone can be limiting, and if you don't have the tools, you could hurt yourself. It'd likely be no more than a half hour shop charge from the experts. $50-$75 in avoiding injury and knowing it's been done right...worth it by my estimation.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 E19
Send a message via MSN to Lynda Send a message via Yahoo to Lynda
Good advice, thanks.
There's a business in the next town over from me -- same town where my Escape is stored -- that sells and repairs trailers. I'll call them tomorrow, see if they can help me out.. But in the meantime, I guess I should go up to my storage facility and measure the height of the coupler off the ground?
Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:29 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the standard hitch height for the Escape is 19" but now I'm not sure if that is to top or bottom of the ball?
Old 07-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe the standard hitch height for the Escape is 19" but now I'm not sure if that is to top or bottom of the ball?
That is too the top of the ball. I emailed Escape and asked.

Also if you have the lift kit hitch height is 21 5/8" (to the top of the ball)
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote