Hitch Lock - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If you’re like most folks, you’ll pay an insurance premium every year and whether your trailer is locked or not won’t make a difference in the premium. For us, putting the trailer in our pole building was our preference not so much for security as for protection from the elements, security, a dry place to work on the trailer, keeping it clean and ease of preparing for an outing are just a few of the benefits. We built the building after we bought the 19, the small stack of storage garage receipts we had amassed (about 7 months worth) didn’t look as good as the metal and lumber invested in the building. We feel fortunate to have purchased enough ground and have liberal rural zoning that allowed its construction. YMMV.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #42

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I just watched Altor Test the SAF Trailer Lock with an angle Grinder Attack on YouTube. It took 14 disc changes, 8 battery changes and 1 1/2 hours plus quite a bit of cold chisel and sledge hammer work to dislodge the lock. I think someone who is more expert could do it faster and I don't think I would want to haul the lock around. It looks pretty beefy/heavy.

I also rely on insurance and a lock when camping in non secure places. I had the insurance agent inspect the trailer and factor in the cost of modifications and additions.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:24 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Our Escape is in a side yard (under a canopy), not visible from the road. So I'm not too worried about someone stealing it here. But there are those stories about thieves nicking trailers in campsites, while the owners are out exploring the area. So I'm thinking about a better lock—but then there's Doug and his yaller grinder. . .
Old 08-03-2022, 08:44 AM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I just watched Altor Test the SAF Trailer Lock with an angle Grinder Attack on YouTube. It took 14 disc changes, 8 battery changes and 1 1/2 hours plus quite a bit of cold chisel and sledge hammer work to dislodge the lock. I think someone who is more expert could do it faster and I don't think I would want to haul the lock around. It looks pretty beefy/heavy.

I also rely on insurance and a lock when camping in non secure places. I had the insurance agent inspect the trailer and factor in the cost of modifications and additions.

Expensive ($350). Does it also secure the safety chains?
Old 08-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Locks

[QUOTE=MrLynn;426925]Our Escape is in a side yard (under a canopy), not visible from the road. So I'm not too worried about someone stealing it here. But there are those stories about thieves nicking trailers in campsites, while the owners are out exploring the area. So I'm thinking about a better lock—but then there's Doug and his yaller grinder. . .[/

Whether or not there are other campers camped in your campground I think is significant. Boondocking, going off hiking for a day or longer where you’re in a single dispersed site is a lot different than being in a campground especially where there are other campers around. Whether or not there’s a camp host that you’ve made aware of your plans or adjacent campers I think is significant too.

I do have a 5 foot piece of Pewag chain which will fit though the wheel and around the axle where it can be locked on the back side. Not that it is impossible to defeat but it would be considerably more difficult than an inexpensive hitch lock. Laying on your back, under the camper to install it is a downside. The Pewag chain will not cut with bolt cutters. And those big $30 or so locks are pretty hard too so that leaves the grinder. At least grinders are noisy and attract attention.

Everyone’s camping style varies. Personally with good insurance and the way we camp, I don’t give theft of the trailer much thought. In addition, tracking devices and other “esoteric” electronic devices are available too.

What’s that old Buffalo Springfield admonition from 55 years ago? “Paranoia strikes deep, in to your life it will creep.” Different times then or is it?
Iowa Dave
Old 08-03-2022, 08:53 AM   #46
Site Team

Our E21C has this oddball coupler that is rather tricky to make sure it's fully locked on the ball (not as easy as on our former Casita). Doesn't look quite like the ones that Proven and Alto show. Anyone else have this coupler, and know which locks fit?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8794_sm.jpg  
Old 08-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #47

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Looks like the standard ETI coupler and my Proven lock fits it.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Expensive ($350). Does it also secure the safety chains?

Just repeating my own question. Doesn't look like the Altor does, from the descriptions. True?
Old 08-05-2022, 06:59 PM   #49

Trailer: 2022 - 21C
Proven Locks

We have a 21C and put a Proven lock on it. Proven just needs
To see the coupler to figure out which lock you need. It also can store and protect the safety chain hooks in the locked position. Just call Proven directly.
dcgrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #50

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Hitch Lock

Read some blogs on this. The more you do the better, doesn't have to be the best. Hidden electrical switch for power tongue jack. Locks on stabilizer jacks (between tires for dual axle). Hitch lock (with ball engagement). I imagine could even engage electric brakes with hidden switch as deterrent (just thought of this!). Just got our
E19 and have concerns...
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:45 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp@Home View Post
Read some blogs on this. The more you do the better, doesn't have to be the best. Hidden electrical switch for power tongue jack. Locks on stabilizer jacks (between tires for dual axle). Hitch lock (with ball engagement). I imagine could even engage electric brakes with hidden switch as deterrent (just thought of this!). Just got our
E19 and have concerns...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm inclined to get a Proven hitch lock. And I'm going to get some locks for our X-chocks.

"Hidden electrical switch for power tongue jack." Now that's a clever idea! Shouldn't be too hard to trace the wire and find a good spot.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:49 AM   #52
Site Team

Update: Proven Lock 2178-A

Got the Proven 2178-A lock yesterday. They don't have an installation video for this model (it is quite different from the 2178--boxy rather than round). Couldn't find one on Youtube, either, so I emailed their Customer Service, and Anabel in their Support Team sent me a link to a video for their 2178-U, which she said was "similar." The U looks about the same outside, but has a different tab configuration inside. The U video is here:

So I went out this morning and tried it. Goes on easily, but took me some fiddling to figure out how to get the chain hooks inside. There is plenty of room, so it really wasn't hard, so I've now got the coupler and chains locked up.

Looks cool, anyway. Does anyone know if the 'Lock-Picking Lawyer' has managed to break into the modified Proven puck-lock? Commenters on Youtube say Proven modified their puck after the LPL got in by drilling through the soft cover a couple of years ago. It's still soft (aluminum), but the key is being able to get at the mechanism through the drill hole.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8798_sm.jpg