Hitch Lock Security - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Hitch Lock Security

Almost the end of camping season for me so my 19 will go to storage soon. Most Albertans who won't be going south will be heading for storage in the next month or so, so I thought I would share my experience with the Proven Industries hitch lock I received and tried out today. I have attached a picture of it installed. It is a model 2516-A fits 2" and 2 5/16" Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers. The fellow running my storage yard said " If you have one of those yellow Reese hitch locks, they are useless so you should get a good one" Of course that is what I had so I did some research and landed on this one.

Positive:
- Very well made. Nice welding and finishing
- Puck lock is very secure
- Installs very easily

Negatives:
- Expensive
- Heavy ( but I only plan to use when in storage so no big deal. I will continue to use the yellow Reese deterrent at campsites
- It can only fit one of the safety chains inside the lock, but the photo shows a simple way to overcome that

All in all I like it. I will finish off the security measures with a case hardened chain through both wheels and the frame on one side, with a good security lock.

I know a thief can steal anything if determined enough but hopefully this will give incentive to move along to another target.
Attached Thumbnails
hitch_lock.jpg  
Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
Almost the end of camping season for me so my 19 will go to storage soon. Most Albertans who won't be going south will be heading for storage in the next month or so, so I thought I would share my experience with the Proven Industries hitch lock I received and tried out today. I have attached a picture of it installed. It is a model 2516-A fits 2" and 2 5/16" Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers. The fellow running my storage yard said " If you have one of those yellow Reese hitch locks, they are useless so you should get a good one" Of course that is what I had so I did some research and landed on this one.

Positive:
- Very well made. Nice welding and finishing
- Puck lock is very secure
- Installs very easily

Negatives:
- Expensive
- Heavy ( but I only plan to use when in storage so no big deal. I will continue to use the yellow Reese deterrent at campsites
- It can only fit one of the safety chains inside the lock, but the photo shows a simple way to overcome that

All in all I like it. I will finish off the security measures with a case hardened chain through both wheels and the frame on one side, with a good security lock.

I know a thief can steal anything if determined enough but hopefully this will give incentive to move along to another target.
Thanks for posting. I just bought one.... looks good, uninstalled....

now all we need is out 2017 21'! (yet to be built)

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
There's some good chain out there. The best one I ever came across for securing snow plows in the off season, tailors and implements was one made by Pewaag . We tried to cut it with good bolt cutters and it bent the cutting bits. However, I'm afraid grinders or an oxy acetylene rig will defeat most any chain, cable, steel bar etc.
dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote