Hitch receiver too low - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2021, 01:13 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
oh yeah, that Tacoma had load range "E" bfg Ko2 all terrains, and it had a airbag kit in the back. hitch trailer, use 12VDC minicompressor to pump both sides up to 30-40PSI. rides excellent. unhitch, lower to 5psi on each side. rides like stock.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:50 PM   #22
a&e

Trailer: '21 Escape 19
I'm going to set up a little stand in Sumas, at the Escape delivery site, to sell overpriced towing parts to people like me who researched the heck out of trailers but didn't bother to research what's needed to actually tow said trailer.

So digging around some more - while the Kia Sorento has a 5,000 lbs towing capacity, it has a 350 lbs max tongue weight according to the owner's manual. I'm reading on this forum that the tongue weight should normally be more like 10% of the trailer weight, so it seems like being able to pull 5,000 lbs is somewhat moot if the tongue weight maxes out at 350 lbs. Again, this is coming from a position of ignorance...but I am trying to learn.

Anyway, I do not have the towing package offered by Kia and my understanding is that, in addition to the trailer brake, it would also be wise to have a radiator fan and possibly upgrade the suspension - is that right?

I may be coming around to just upgrading the tow vehicle...just for peace of mind.

Any general thoughts on the tongue weight maximum and the additional upgrades needed for safe towing?
a&e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
many vehicles, the factory tow package also includes an automatic transmission cooler (or a larger one, if the standard car already has one), and sometimes a larger alternator. I don't know specifically about the Sorento. early Sorento's were RWD and body-on-frame, while later ones are FWD and unibody, looks like 2009 was the cutover.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd offer advice, but I learned that some things that were standard on my 2008 RAV4 in Canada, were optional in the U.S.
Mine had a larger alternator, radiator, transmission fluid cooler. Only way to be sure is have the dealer run the VIN to see what the vehicle you are buying is equipped with.
For all that, you still have to buy a brake controller, hitch receiver, WDH and pay to have installed.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:43 PM   #25
a&e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mine had a larger alternator, radiator, transmission fluid cooler.
I'm pretty sure I have none of that...I seem to remember the dealer asking if we were planning on towing anything and my wife and I sort of scoffing at the notion...and yet, here we are, 4 years later.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I would suggest a new tow vehicle.

I am running about 420 lbs of tongue weight on our 19 and I am sure most people are well over 350 lbs.
Just the hitch, and bars are substantial in weight.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by a&e View Post
So digging around some more - while the Kia Sorento has a 5,000 lbs towing capacity, it has a 350 lbs max tongue weight according to the owner's manual. I'm reading on this forum that the tongue weight should normally be more like 10% of the trailer weight, so it seems like being able to pull 5,000 lbs is somewhat moot if the tongue weight maxes out at 350 lbs. Again, this is coming from a position of ignorance...but I am trying to learn.
350 pounds was adequate for some Escape models in the past, but they get heavier all the time... especially when the options are piled on. If the hitch weight really is limited to 350 pounds, I think a different tow vehicle would be appropriate.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Anyway, I do not have the towing package offered by Kia and my understanding is that, in addition to the trailer brake, it would also be wise to have a radiator fan and possibly upgrade the suspension - is that right?

I may be coming around to just upgrading the tow vehicle...just for peace of mind.
Whatever the aftermarket equipment sellers claim, tacking stuff on is not the same as getting the vehicle built right. While it may be possible to do everything needed, trading for a more suitable tow vehicle would likely make more sense to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:30 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:

Any general thoughts on the tongue weight maximum and the additional upgrades needed for safe towing?
I took a look at the Sorento manual, and I spotted your main problems.

1) The towing capacity is listed as up to 5000 lbs for the 4WD version with the larger engine and with the towing package. If you don't have the towing package, then you can't tow any Escape trailers with that vehicle.
2) You might be able to add the towing package yourself aftermarket, provided you can find out what is really in there. Sometimes it's just a transmission cooler and hitch, which is do-able. Sometimes it's a tow-haul mode that changes the transmission shift logic, which you can't do at home.
3) All Sorento's have a 350lb tongue limit, which kind of precludes towing a 5000 lb trailer. The reason for this low limit is:
4) The 5-passenger Sorento has a 930 lb cargo capacity (1120 for the 7 passenger). 930 pounds is not a lot when you are towing.

The problem with that low 930 lb cargo capacity is that it needs to cover all people, pets, stuff in the car and it needs to cover the tongue weight and the hitch weight. So if you have a 430 lb tongue weight and a 100 lb WDH, then you only have about 400 pounds left to cover everyone and everything else in the car.

My take is, a Kia Sorento with the towing package would be OK for an Escape 17. It will be marginal for an Escape 19, and you are virtually certain to be exceeding that 350 lb tongue limit with an Escape 19 and you will likely be against or over the GVWR.

BTW, a lot of mid-size SUVs have this low cargo capacity problem. That's why they ride so nice when they are empty......soft springs. The Honda Passport is another (for example) with about the same low cargo capacity. Others like the Ford Explorer can carry a lot more.

Any time you evaluate a tow vehicle, read the whole section on towing.....ALL OF IT and understand every limit for tow, GVWR, GCVWR, and tongue weight.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:21 PM   #30
a&e

Thanks, all - this has been enlightening...and has us looking at a Durango, which apparently can handle 6,200 GTW/ 620 max tongue weight in their 3.6L V6 w/ tow package and 7,200/720 in their 5.7L V8 with tow package. The also have the latter with an upgraded tow package that can handle 8/700/870 but that seems to be overkill. Will spend the next couple weeks really getting into the numbers.

It's just all a bit embarrassing/annoying because our history has been: 'what? we'll never need a 3rd row SUV!' then trading in our car for a 3rd row SUV for all the pre-covid sports team car pools. Then with the 3rd row: 'what? we'll never need a tow package!' And now...'hm, this 3 row SUV with a great towing package might do the trick.'
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
Old 01-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
.... It's just all a bit embarrassing/annoying because our history has been: 'what? we'll never need a 3rd row SUV!' then trading in our car for a 3rd row SUV for all the pre-covid sports team car pools. Then with the 3rd row: 'what? we'll never need a tow package!' And now...'hm, this 3 row SUV with a great towing package might do the trick.'
(with you, not at you )

Nothing to be embarrassed or annoyed about, IMO, just laugh with and continue the fun and joys of your ever-evolving family life!
Old 01-31-2021, 02:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If you like Kia then you might find the Telluride to your liking. It has a trailer option with air ride rear suspension etc. It is not overkill on the power but is a very nice SUV winning almost every award available last year. We were going to get one but the demand was so great they just were not available. We also thought that it was just a touch to big for our second vehicle.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:55 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Thanks, all - this has been enlightening...and has us looking at a Durango, which apparently can handle 6,200 GTW/ 620 max tongue weight in their 3.6L V6 w/ tow package and 7,200/720 in their 5.7L V8 with tow package. The also have the latter with an upgraded tow package that can handle 8/700/870 but that seems to be overkill. Will spend the next couple weeks really getting into the numbers.

It's just all a bit embarrassing/annoying because our history has been: 'what? we'll never need a 3rd row SUV!' then trading in our car for a 3rd row SUV for all the pre-covid sports team car pools. Then with the 3rd row: 'what? we'll never need a tow package!' And now...'hm, this 3 row SUV with a great towing package might do the trick.'
Believe me- you're not the only one! LSS- went from a Murano FWD to a Highlander AWD to a Yukon within 12 months! And like you never thought I would be towing a trailer, despite my camper wife suggesting a Casita like ten years ago!

A few years ago I was intrigued with the Durango as it was RWD platform and independent rear suspension for a better ride vs. the live axle Yukon- and 120" wheelbase vs. 116" Yukon. When I went to test drive one I didn't take it off the lot as I did not like the high dashboard and relatively narrow cabin vs. Yukon. Five years later went to the F-150 of SUV's: Expedition and love it. Another member here, AZ Jack really liked Durango though with the 5.7 Hemi, and is now going to a RAM I believe for an upcoming 5.0. So welcome to the club.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:25 PM   #34

Trailer: 2011 casita
With your tundra is it a 5.3 engine and do you use the P3 brake controller? Also if so, what is your brake controller settings? I have a 2017 tundra 5.3 and just removed the factory controller with the teschoma P3 controller. We are picking up our 21 the end of February.
bobvw1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #35
a&e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Believe me- you're not the only one! LSS- went from a Murano FWD to a Highlander AWD to a Yukon within 12 months!
thanks, this made my day - happy to know we are in good company!
Old 02-02-2021, 07:58 AM   #36

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I have been in a similar situation trying to determine which W.D.H to purchase. I first thought about the Andersen but after researching I came away feeling it had god sway control but may be lacking in Weight Distribution. I have spent some time researching the Fastway e2 and I like certain models. I have sent several emails to ETI asking what model they offer but I understand being as busy as the are I haven't heard back. I prefer model 92-00-0600,
Trunnion, 6000GTW, 600TW. ETI says the can set it up but unless the border opens all they can do is install the clamps on the trailer and install a ball on the head ( ball needs to be torqued to 460 ft. lbs.) Does any know the model ETI offers?

BTW E-Trailer and Camping Word both sell it for $450 and Camping world will install the Ball?
Thanks
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Check hitch offset allowed

Quote:
We just signed the build sheet for a new 19, to be delivered at the end of April. During the process, Escape let us know that our current hitch receiver (which we'd only ever used for a bike rack) is too low - the bottom of the receiver opening is at 10" above the ground and they said it needs to be around 18".
Recommend checking your Kia's hitch to see if it specifies a maximum ball offset height. This tag is for our Mercedes Benz ML350 Diesel SUV:

These offsets, ball height and distance away from vehicle, are hitch parameters to consider in addition to the vehicle and trailer weights. We use a 4" down offset for our Infiniti QX80, 2" up offset for the ML350, and 0 offset for our Sprinter van.

For the actual hitch, I can strongly suggest you consider the Hensley Cub hitch for any tow vehicle you might use.

We've used a Hensley hitch on our 30' Airstream Classic for 18 years, and we have the Hensley Cub on our 2019 19'. Our daughter has the Cub on their 21NE. We wouldn't tow without one.

Once you get your trailer, recommend getting an Escapees SmartWeigh.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #38

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Just heard back for Linda at ETI. The Fastway e2 WDH model 92-00-0600 that I wanted is what they offer, 6000Lbs GTW, 250- 600lbs. TW 6" Raise 1" drop.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:04 PM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
I have something very similar and it works well. But it's heavy!
Old 02-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 Little Guy Mini Max
Send a message via MSN to friofreddy Send a message via Yahoo to friofreddy
Greatboatz3, we pull a 3000-lb. (full water, 2 20-lb propane, quite a bit of 'stuff') Little Guy Mini Max with an AWD Highlander, factory hitch and tow package. We have been using the Andersen (the one with the chains) for over a year. and it does well as a WD hitch, as well as excellent sway control. It takes some setting up, but has been trouble-free, and is not heavy, at around 40 lbs.
friofreddy is offline   Reply With Quote