Hitch recommendation for a 5th wheel? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #21

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can get a rooftop rack for 2 kayaks as long as you have an extended cab, and a bike rack for the back of the trailer.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #22

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
We plan on getting a 4 door truck for a number of reasons. One is for the closet bar we can put in the back when we're out for months at a time. We have Thule Hullivators for our kayaks we really would like to be able to use.

I take it a bike rack on the back does not induce swaying? I only ask because it did on our Parkliner.

Thanks!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You can get a rooftop rack for 2 kayaks as long as you have an extended cab, and a bike rack for the back of the trailer.
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
My "thing" is having twice the rated tow capability of whatever the max load is. I don't want to be holding folks up hauling over the Rockies. And yes, some of the newer 1/2 tons can do that, but I can't afford a new truck. I have a budget of around 25 grand (U.S.) to get a tow vehicle. I want a 4 door truck and some way of hauling our two kayaks and two bikes.

Regarding the kilt, anybody that wants to wear one can. Especially if you're Canadian, lol. I bet you have Scot heritage anyways. I had a grandmother who was a full blooded Scot, and a Campbell. Her mom was a Wallace. And if I go further back, I can find more. That's enough! Darn kilts are pricey!

Thanks Jim,

Frank

I tow my 5.0 TA with a 2012 toyota tundra double cab 4 x 4 4.6l V8 no problem. I paid about $25k for it used and love the truck. My camper came with the anderson hitch, I installed the rails with a custom bracket install kit from etrailer. I like the lightness of the anderson as I use my truck for work and need to take the hitch out regularly. I use a Swagman hitch mounted bike rackhttps://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64664.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlf_MBRDUARIsAD8 Gj8CQb_bHNAu-mnzKR0wdHFwiK6Qj6_qFY68U6DcxHx80aPegNC9e2G4aAlVEEA Lw_wcB it is attached with their locking pin, which means little or no sway. My kayak is folding so it goes inside but you could easily put them on a rack on the truck roof.

I also have and wear a Blaklader work kilt....i like the air conditioned feel and no I am not Scottish!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #24

If these trailers gross weight rating is 5500#s, I still want something that can do 11,000#s!

In 2012 your truck in 2wd mode with a 5.7 AND the tow package could do 10,100. The 4.6 in 4wd that year was rated for 6,400#s without the tow package and 7,900#s with. (From Trailer Life Tow Ratings, arguably not always spot on accurate.)

That's why I want a 3/4 ton truck. I don't want problems towing over the Rockies. All the years I've been towing stuff I have come to like tow vehicles that don't know they're towing something.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I tow my 5.0 TA with a 2012 toyota tundra double cab 4 x 4 4.6l V8 no problem. I paid about $25k for it used and love the truck. My camper came with the anderson hitch, I installed the rails with a custom bracket install kit from etrailer. I like the lightness of the anderson as I use my truck for work and need to take the hitch out regularly. I use a Swagman hitch mounted bike rackhttps://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64664.html?feed=npn&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlf_MBRDUARIsAD8 Gj8CQb_bHNAu-mnzKR0wdHFwiK6Qj6_qFY68U6DcxHx80aPegNC9e2G4aAlVEEA Lw_wcB it is attached with their locking pin, which means little or no sway. My kayak is folding so it goes inside but you could easily put them on a rack on the truck roof.

I also have and wear a Blaklader work kilt....i like the air conditioned feel and no I am not Scottish!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Talking

Quote:
If these trailers gross weight rating is 5500#s, I still want something that can do 11,000#s!

In 2012 your truck in 2wd mode with a 5.7 AND the tow package could do 10,100. The 4.6 in 4wd that year was rated for 6,400#s without the tow package and 7,900#s with. (From Trailer Life Tow Ratings, arguably not always spot on accurate.)

That's why I want a 3/4 ton truck. I don't want problems towing over the Rockies. All the years I've been towing stuff I have come to like tow vehicles that don't know they're towing something.

Frank
Based on these weigh ins http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...s%2FWeight.xls I am not that far off from your 2x benchmark with my tow package. Weights on this spreadsheet are 4000 to 4600 lbs and mine is on the lighter end (I am guessing!) My tundra pulled it from Vegas to Vermont "like it was not there". But I can tell you will not be swayed. Get a diesel if you want any kind of mileage in a 3/4 or 1 ton!(and you can bring your whole rock collection along with you) Plenty of people are happy towing the 5.0 TA w/1/2 ton pickups.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch

When we switched tow vehicles to an F150, 6-1/2' bed, we installed a B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch which combined with the Andersen Ultimate Gooseneck Adapter is a great set up. The Andersen weighs 35 lbs and can be removed in a couple minutes and reinstalled almost a fast. The B&W Turnover Ball allows an unobstructed bed in less than a minute. Towing is very smooth and quiet, especially when compared to the entry-level Reese 15K hitch that we had with our previous truck. Hooking up is pretty easy and attaching the safety chain takes very little time, but does require getting into the bed.

With newer F150s, the distance from the center of the rear axle to the tailgate is the same in all three bed lengths, so the goosenck hitch is installed the same distance from the tailgate in all beds. I'm guessing that the same relationship applies to other makes as well.

You might want to consider the longer bed to give you more clearance for your kayaks on a roof rack. I've seen some setups were a bike rack was mounted off of the fifth-wheel pin-box, but that probably wouldn't work with you kayaks. We have a Thule bike rack in the factory installed 2" receiver. I've not noticed any sway with it, but it does tend to bounce the bikes a bit.

We have a 2014 5.0TA and like the combo very much. Until you look in the mirrors when towing, you don't even know the trailer is back there.
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm sorry Frank, but this logic escapes me.

I have been towing all my life, from a tent trailer to big rigs and have very often towed a weight at or near the rated tow vehicle capacity. Sure, there were a few times that I could have used more power to make acceleration or climbing a bit faster, but I never needed it.

My F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost is overkill for a 5.0TA, but I got it for the payload rating. I would love to have a Tacoma sized truck if one with adequate payload was available.

The fuel economy of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups is also very poor compared to vehicles like the F150 or the Dodge EcoDiesel, even when towing.

I also very much prefer driving my 1/2 ton compared to the bigger pickups.

I towed my 19 with a Honda Pilot most of the time for over six years, and only a half dozen times did I feel I wanted more power, and it only had a 4,500 lb tow capacity, though cargo capacity was quite big for an SUV.

I am not at all saying you should not buy the vehicle you want, just that to consider doubling the maximum weight of the trailer tow capacity as a minimum is overkill to a huge degree.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #28

I will look at some 1/2 tons, but they need to have more than 6,000 or 7,000 # capacity.

I think we're flying out to Seattle next year, rent a car, and go up to Chilliwack and have a look see. And bring a checkbook...

Called Trademaster just a bit ago. They're gonna call me back Monday, give me an installed price on one of those Ultimate hitches, the 35# aluminum one.

Enjoy your day folks! I gotta get back to work on my hot rod.

Frank
Old 08-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hitch recommendation for a 5th wheel?

Frank my 2015 GMC 1500 has more then enough power/payload for the 5.0TA. It has a tow rating of 11,700 lbs and a payload of 1970 lbs. with this combination I managed 15.7 mpg traveling round trip from Alberta to the Osoyoos rally, travelled the Salmo Creston Hwy with its long hills with ease, no abnormal fluid temperatures while maintaining the posted speed limit. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Frank, I'm reading some confusion here perhaps? A 7000 lb gvwr (heavy duty payload) package means more payload, not talking about towing capacity. If a loaded 5.0TA comes in at a heavy 5500 lbs, but the TOWING capacity of the 1/2 ton truck is say 10K lbs, that's a very comfortable margin and towing in the mountains is a non issue. The payload package is nice but not necessary to tow a 5er with ease using a 1/2 ton truck. Of course, since we are talking 5th wheel and not bumper pull, some of the trailer weight directly translates to payload, but even the standard payload F150 for example would be fine.

Just my two cents but a 3/4 ton truck is overkill towing a relatively lightweight 5.0TA. And you won't enjoy the more frequent stops for fuel either.

One of the compelling reasons for going with a smaller, lighter fiberglass trailer over a sticky is efficiency. A huge truck kind of defeats that purpose.

If you want to see what I and several others consider the ultimate combination for towing a 5.0TA, look no further than what Reace uses - an F150 Supercrew 4x4 with a 3.5L EcoBoost V6. Great combination, can handle any road you throw at it, and do it efficiently.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:25 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The payload package is nice but not necessary to tow a 5er with ease using a 1/2 ton truck. Of course, since we are talking 5th wheel and not bumper pull, some of the trailer weight directly translates to payload, but even the standard payload F150 for example would be fine.
Maybe not. With the lowest GVWR/payload package, some variants of the current F-150 have under 1,600 pounds of payload. With two or more people, cargo, a couple hundred pounds of hitch (with mounting brackets), and 800 pounds of pin weight, that can certainly be inadequate. With the 3.5 EcoBoost, Ford seems to assume that buyer actually wants to carry something, so it gets a base GVWR of 7,000 pounds and so even without the payload package it has a few hundred pounds more payload.

Trailer weight rating is not an issue for any Escape behind any current F-150... except those with the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 and 3.55:1 final drive ratio. It's unlikely anyone would deliberately pick that configuration for towing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Hitch recommendation for a 5th wheel?

Could not be happier with my 5.0 / F150 combo. I'm using the Andersan Ultimate hitch and have to say I couldn't be more pleased with that. Parked in a spot where I couldn't pull straight out, maybe 30 degree angle, no problem unhitching or hitching back up when leaving. Can you even do that with a conventional 5th wheel hitch?Towing thru Vermont and New Hampshire getting 15.5-16.5 mpg. No trouble passing large SUVs and tractor trailers going up long grades, or getting up to speed when pulling away from a rest area. The little 2.7 Ecoboost gets 22 + mpg when not towing. Be willing to bet your 3/4 ton wouldn't keep up me when not towing, it's a good every day driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Be willing to bet your 3/4 ton wouldn't keep up me when not towing,.....
I see a new activity at rallies, tow vehicle 1/4 mile drags....
Old 08-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #34

I like it[emoji48]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Parked in a spot where I couldn't pull straight out, maybe 30 degree angle, no problem unhitching or hitching back up when leaving. Can you even do that with a conventional 5th wheel hitch?
More or less. You need to have someone put up the tailgate while you back in. You could probably do 90 degrees, there's nothing to stop you from doing so.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
More or less. You need to have someone put up the tailgate while you back in. You could probably do 90 degrees, there's nothing to stop you from doing so.
I do this by myself all the time. I just back up to where the hitch is just inside the box, get out and close the tailgate, then back up the rest of the way. I do the same unhooking up too, just in reverse.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Could not be happier with my 5.0 / F150 combo. I'm using the Andersan Ultimate hitch and have to say I couldn't be more pleased with that. Parked in a spot where I couldn't pull straight out, maybe 30 degree angle, no problem unhitching or hitching back up when leaving. Can you even do that with a conventional 5th wheel hitch?Towing thru Vermont and New Hampshire getting 15.5-16.5 mpg. No trouble passing large SUVs and tractor trailers going up long grades, or getting up to speed when pulling away from a rest area. The little 2.7 Ecoboost gets 22 + mpg when not towing. Be willing to bet your 3/4 ton wouldn't keep up me when not towing, it's a good every day driver.
What size box do you have? If less than 8, do you need a hitch extender?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 09-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:

Thanks,

Frank
Hi: frank_a... Sorry you missed a great time at Niagara Wine Escape!!! I'm sure Chotch has a F150 Super Cab w/ a 6.5 ft. box... but then I have been corrected before. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #39

Yeah, I'm sorry I missed it too, but will probably keep missing it in the future because of this event I run a booth for in Niagara County USA. We had a blast!

Frank
Old 09-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #40

Quote:

Thanks,

Frank

Alf's right, I've got 6.5 box. What's a hitch extender??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk