Hitch recommendation for a 5th wheel? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #101

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Thanks for the info Chris!

For Chris and others, does ETI mount the cable lock on the trailer for you? Is there an alternative to screwing into the fiberglass to mount it?
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #102

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
If we buy a 5.0 TA down the road, I'm getting the set-up Dave describes. Only difference is I would install the B&W Turnover ball Gooseneck Hitch myself. I have a decent shop and could do it pretty easily. Measure three times, drill once! These B&W's may just use existing frame bolt holes? No biggie, I've installed lots of frame mounted hitches over the decades.

Frank
B&W offers the Turnover for specific truck models and requires no drilling of the frame. The only drilling is in the bed for the ball and the safety chain brackets. I lack your self-confidence and had professionals do the installation in our two day old truck.
David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #103

The Andersen is torqued to the ball and the adapter is torqued to the trailer's kingpin. The torque pressures are denoted in Andersen's straight-forward instructions.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:05 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post

For Chris and others, does ETI mount the cable lock on the trailer for you? Is there an alternative to screwing into the fiberglass to mount it?
I attached the cable handle bracket to the frame under the loft.
David
Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #105

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:

See GMChaplin post where they had Trademasters install the Anderson and I would assume ETI installed the Anderson King Pin adapter onto the trailer at orientation. It shows the handle attached to the king pin housing.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post218884.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #106

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:

j

Attached mine at rear of pin box, out of the way but convenient to use.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #107

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
See GMChaplin post where they had Trademasters install the Anderson and I would assume ETI installed the Anderson King Pin adapter onto the trailer at orientation. It shows the handle attached to the king pin housing.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post218884.
Escape charges $50 CAD to install the Anderson King Pin adapter and attach the handle to the frame between the king pin and the trailer body.

Since early 2017, Andersen has used a red plastic funnel on the adapter. It works well, however the two screws in the back need a long hex wrench to reach them. I bought this hex bit set to use with my torque wrench: http://a.co/hY0Ho6s. I wanted to remove the adapter in case someone else with a standard fifth wheel hitch needed to tow my trailer or I wanted to check the torque on the bolts.

I'm also very happy with the B&W Turnover Ball and the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum Gooseneck hitch.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #108

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Thanks to all for the information. Glad to see the alternative mount versus going into the fiberglass.

I'm undecided on the B&W vs the Curt rails and under bed gooseneck ball. Either seem to be a good choice. I will run through the install info for both but will likely not install myself.

I'll contact trademasters and if they can order either manufacturer's product which may affect my decision.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #109

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Thanks to all for the information. Glad to see the alternative mount versus going into the fiberglass.

I'm undecided on the B&W vs the Curt rails and under bed gooseneck ball. Either seem to be a good choice. I will run through the install info for both but will likely not install myself.

I'll contact trademasters and if they can order either manufacturer's product which may affect my decision.
I paid about $900 for Anderson Ultimate hitch, Reese mounting brackets and rails and in bed 7 pin connector (might want to consider that) from Etrailer. Did the install myself, not that hard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #110

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i did the turn over ball hitch and the Anderson trademaster installed both and escape did the Anderson coupler.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote