Hitching up with your spouse - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #1

Hitching up with your spouse

Eric T, I jumped over here but I am sure you will find it. That is nice that Mary and you can hitch up the trailer easily together. Many are not quite as even-tempered as you.

I saw on another site where it was recommended that you never hitch up with your spouse. They suggested that the spouse disappear into the house or wherever, and that one person hitch up by himself or herself, if they want to stay hitched! (married). No telling how many divorces there are from hitching trailers!

Of course, it is considered good to do that by yourself so that you can, and so the other person can, any time that that might be necessary. People may just need to take a trip by themselves once in a while for personal or business reasons.

Donna and Jon and others are an inspiration to everyone when they go running around the country and do all of the hitching alone, and everything else to attend to a trailer.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Hitching up with your spouse

Hi: Cathy... We have been "Hitched" for 40 yrs. and have yet to get "Unhitched" over hitching!!!
Between the two of us we have one good mind so if I forget to unhitch something I get told...and thats only a slight hitch. It has saved the tailgate a few times.
Like all relationships it's about the timing and signals. Once you're on to them you can remain hitched with out a hitch. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I'm with Alf on this one, but every couple has to decide how to stay hitched.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

--I have back up camera on my tacoma... best investment ever... can see exactly where the hitch is.
--If I had a vehicle without one I'd get an aftermarket... can't believe how easy it is.
--I think some aftermarket ones now are wireless so not a big hassle to instal.
skaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Skaha, I can believe that the camera is the best but haven't decided to spring for it yet as we are getting some other work done first. Right now we have a mirror that sits on a post at the coupler and the driver can see it in the rear view mirror as the ball approaches. It is highly rated by couples who say that one of them can be taking care of something else while the other is hitching up. Still have to get out of the car a couple of times but it works pretty nicely. We can open our liftgate to use it. Not sure it would work for any vehicle.

If one person has to go somewhere without the other, then the mirror works for that person alone. Of course, a camera would be even better, as you say.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I bought the tennis-balls-on-antennas hitch aid and can easily hitch by myself, most of the time now on the first try. However, from time to time my wife decides she wants to help, so I agree, but I put on the hitch aid "just for extra insurance", while she stands in back and directs me. Using this method, it's amazing how accurate her directions are!

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

And, it has nothing to do with the sexes.
It's all to do with communication.

My buddy used to stand at the back of the trailer and try to indicate which way I should turn the steering wheel. I finally stopped and told him not to tell me how to steer, but which way the trailer needed to go.

But, back to the other gender...when you are directing me, you're not supposed to be looking at the ocean, the sky or the picnic table ( unless, I might run in to it ).

And, if you think, I'm being guy / dork. My daughter and I had this discussion just this afternoon. Daughter described screaming out the passenger window, " MOM, what are you looking at?" "You are supposed to be helping me back up".

If you are going to use another person to direct you, make sure you both know what means what, what is expected.

baglo