Honda Pilot vs Kia Telluride - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
Max

Trailer: 2023 E19
Honda Pilot vs Kia Telluride

I have an E19 on order for 2023 and looking for a tow vehicle now. I live very downtown and am looking for a small vehicle (eg, mid-sized SUV) that is easy to park but has towing power for western mountains. Friends have had great experience with Toyota Highlander but there are none to be had for the foreseeable future. Does anyone have experience to share with Honda Pilot AWD or Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade?
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have a 2020 Escape 19. Partially loaded it was 3900lbs with me at the scales. Depending on your situation you could easily be over capacity with a family of 4 and bikes.

I can't comment on KIA, Honda and Toyota has been very very good to us.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #3
Max

Thanks Doug2000 for that info. Planning on just 2 people traveling with the E19, no kids. Have you towed E19 with a Honda Pilot? Pilot seems ok by the book but I am looking for practical experience.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 E19
A couple of months ago I was talking to a fellow who picked up his new E19 in Chilliwack and towed it home to New Brunswick with a Honda Pilot.
He indicated that it worked great. Perhaps he is on this forum and will chime in.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I have an E19 on order for 2023 and looking for a tow vehicle now. I live very downtown and am looking for a small vehicle (eg, mid-sized SUV) that is easy to park but has towing power for western mountains. Friends have had great experience with Toyota Highlander but there are none to be had for the foreseeable future. Does anyone have experience to share with Honda Pilot AWD or Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade?
Hi: Max... IMHO Telluride/Palisade's are in the same situation as Highlanders... few and far between. We towed with a Nissan 4X4 V6 Frontier Crew Cab for years and 172,000. It was a confident/ comfortable truck. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
You mentioned mountain towing. With that in mind I would opt for a vehicle with healthy towing capacity versus just ok, borderline capacity. Although capable, our 2017 Tacoma works hard pulling our 19 Escape over the steeper grades of the Colorado Rockies.
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21
Our 21ne just entered production, pickup late October, and I plan on towing with a Honda Ridgeline, very similar driveline as the Pilot series with slightly different suspension and brakes. I have towed at the limit with the Ridgeline easily with other tandem axle trailers. Honda does calculate their towing slightly different from other manufactures so the 5000lb limit isn't nearly as scary as a Tacoma at its 7500lb limit. My brother-in-law has the Tacoma and it really doesn't tow much better than the Ridgeline. I have heard of people using an OBD tool to monitor the vehicle while towing and will look into that. I'm also very weight aware coming over from car camping with a tent and won't be loading the trailer up with excess trying to keep down near a 4000 - 4200lb load. Hope your search goes well.
Rmccubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmccubb View Post
Our 21ne just entered production, pickup late October, and I plan on towing with a Honda Ridgeline, very similar driveline as the Pilot series with slightly different suspension and brakes. I have towed at the limit with the Ridgeline easily with other tandem axle trailers. Honda does calculate their towing slightly different from other manufactures so the 5000lb limit isn't nearly as scary as a Tacoma at its 7500lb limit. My brother-in-law has the Tacoma and it really doesn't tow much better than the Ridgeline. I have heard of people using an OBD tool to monitor the vehicle while towing and will look into that. I'm also very weight aware coming over from car camping with a tent and won't be loading the trailer up with excess trying to keep down near a 4000 - 4200lb load. Hope your search goes well.
Here’s a photo of us climbing over Loveland Pass. Notice the ScanGauge2, TFT Transmission Fluid Temp 217F, 2nd Gear holding at 3500rpm. At 230F, I pull over and cool. We got hot 3 times that trip towing an Escape 17B with a 2017 4Runner. Now we have a Tundra!!!

Keep in mind the air is this at 11,000’
Attached Thumbnails
DEA30DBE-01BA-4C2C-91AC-320BF84C5055.jpg  
Old 10-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Our 21ne just entered production, pickup late October, and I plan on towing with a Honda Ridgeline, very similar driveline as the Pilot series with slightly different suspension and brakes.
The Ridgeline has a much longer wheelbase than the Pilot, which is important to towing stability.

Quote:
Honda does calculate their towing slightly different from other manufactures so the 5000lb limit isn't nearly as scary as a Tacoma at its 7500lb limit.
That seems unlikely - doesn't Honda follow the SAE J2807 test standard?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:46 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Ridgeline has a much longer wheelbase than the Pilot, which is important to towing stability.

That seems unlikely - doesn't Honda follow the SAE J2807 test standard?
I have seen in other forums that they do not, they take a tougher standard.
see https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...andard.142018/
Rmccubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Tellurides are very hard to find and most have to pay a hefty premium over MSRP. We had to drive a significant distance and wait months to get ours at MSRP. That dealer now marks them up $3,000 over MSRP. Our local dealer is $10,000 over MSRP and you still have to order and wait.

Our F150 continues to do our towing duties. I just wanted a SUV that could do it in a pinch. The F150 is 12 years old with 160,000 miles on it. I expect to retire it once auto supply goes back to normal.

For towing IMHO it’s hard to beat a pickup. Love the integrated brake controller too.

We have a first generation E19. I believe the newer ones are heavier.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:28 PM   #12

Quote:
I have seen in other forums that they do not, they take a tougher standard.
see https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...andard.142018/
Thanks. That description is so fuzzy that it is meaningless. Even if Honda has their own more stringent tests, they could still comply with J2807 testing (it's entirely self-certified, so they don't have to bring in an outside tester or have anyone review or approve their test results)... but they don't, suggesting that they would fail some J2807 tests.

Before the standardization of testing for tow capacity rating in North America, Honda routinely published "optimistic" ratings based on specific favourable situations; for instance, a vehicle with a legitimate 3500 pound towing rating was also claimed to have 4500 pound rating for towing a boat, because boats have low aero drag, lower hitch weight, and greater stability than a cargo or travel trailer of the same weight. That's fine for boat owners, but it leads to people putting 4500 pounds of travel trailer behind a vehicle that can't handle it.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
We have a first generation E19. I believe the newer ones are heavier.
True. The 2016 redesign of all Escape models increased the weight of each model.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Meter
REMEMER & CONSIDER THIS:

PULLING a trailer is Easy for most vehicles! It's that STOPPING PART that can cause a Real Personal Safety Problem Real Quick when towing with an OVERLOADED or AT TOW LOAD LIMIT Tow Vehicle!

What's the safety of YOU and YOUR FAMILY worth versus the "Convenience" of having a smaller tow vehicle because of where you live?

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!:"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
PULLING a trailer is Easy for most vehicles! It's that STOPPING PART that can cause a Real Personal Safety Problem Real Quick when towing with an OVERLOADED or AT TOW LOAD LIMIT Tow Vehicle!
All Escapes are heavy enough that they have brakes and those brakes must be used when towed by most tow vehicles. The trailer is doing its own braking.

Control of the trailer is important, and that is about much more than just tow vehicle size.
Old 10-12-2022, 04:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 F250
About 10 years ago I researched and purchased a Honda pilot to pull a small camper. It worked well but a comparison to the current pilot is probably not relevant. The analysis might be helpful.

I compared both the Highlander and the pilot. At the time they were comparable and excellent vehicles. What I focused on was payload - to make sure that it was sufficient to handle the tongue weight. I also focused on reviews for braking and handling as those are really important when you’re pulling some thing; and finally, I was interested in a factory installed hitch, which may include other enhancements that impact braking, cooling, etc. In general my personal preference is to avoid aftermarket hitches, especially in smaller vehicles. (A lot of times people will think they can do it much cheaper if they go down to the local shop, but failed to note that they were enhancements to the cooling system , etc when purchased at the factory, etc.)

In the end, we took the Honda pilot and the camper to Alaska - it did a great job. That being said we purchased an F150 the next year because it had a really big gas tank and that can be important to us when traveling in certain places. (The Pilot was a great car and we kept it for a second car. ) The choice of the F150 had nothing to do with four-wheel-drive, towing capacity etc. - just the driving range afforded by the large gas tank. I is noteworthy that the F150 we purchased and the Honda pilot had the same payload capacity. Don’t make assumptions check the data.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 04:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
True. The 2016 redesign of all Escape models increased the weight of each model.
Our 2007 17B was like towing a open 4x8 utility trailer. Our 2020 19 is like towing a house. I don’t understand.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Meter
I talking about stopping when trailering in general and not specifically about a Ford Escape or any other particular tow vehicle.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!:"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:11 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Our 2007 17B was like towing a open 4x8 utility trailer. Our 2020 19 is like towing a house. I don’t understand.
The 19 was the most affected- by close to 500 lbs. And it is the most sway prone of any Escape due to it's configuration of rear bed and mid ship fridge & bathroom. 21C has a front bed and front bathroom which makes it almost impossible to be tongue light.
Old 10-13-2022, 07:02 AM   #20
Max

Thanks everyone for your public and private messages on this tow vehicle discussion thread! I ended up purchasing a Highlander (slightly used because no new ones are available). I look forward to joining the Escape community and will share my experiences next year after I do some high elevation towing.