Honda Rigeline Controller Settings - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 - Escape 19
Honda Rigeline Controller Settings

I have a friend who is taking delivery of his Escape 19 next week and he asked me about the initial settings of the electronic brake controller for his 2019 Honda Ridgeline. I've had my E19 for about a year, but tow with a F150 3.5l - cant remember where I started, but maybe about 6.0 then adjusted. Any thoughts or recommendations? I don't have any info on the specific controller...

Thanks!
tsdanforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I'm a former 2019 RTLE Ridgeline owner, note that Honda does not offer any factory-installed or Honda Accessory brake controller for this truck (Honda does provide the connector+pigtail for plug-in of an aftermarket controller to the Honda vehicle harness).

I suggest that your friend should seek guidance for a 'starting point' and then setup and calibration in the instructions for whatever aftermarket controller he has installed.

The settings for your F150, or any other vehicle / trailer / controller combination will likely not be of much value to him; proper setup is a matter of the specific truck + trailer + controller combination.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 - Escape 19
Thanks - Makes sense. I'll pass it along
tsdanforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 03:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
The proper way to adjust electric brakes.

If it is a 1 to 10 scale. Start at 3
Start to pull forward on level ground going about 5 mph.
Activate the trailer brakes without braking on the tow vehicle. (Push button / move the lever)
How ever you activate the trailer brakes.

If the wheels lock up move to 2.
If you don’t feel the trailer jerk and slow the tow vehicle a little then move up to 4.

Continue rolling forward to about 5 mph, activating the trailer brakes till you feel the trailer slow down and pull the tow vehicle slower. The breaks will need to be adjusted as the trailer weight changes. If you always pack about the same then not often.

You should be checking the trailer brake setting every so often. As your brakes wear you will need to increase the number. If the breaks have Manuel adjusters When the setting gets toward the highest setting you need to adjust them. If they are self adjusting then you may need brakes soon.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I doubt the brakes come to new owners as pre-burnished so it usually takes some miles and applications of the brakes to get them seated. Often a considerably higher controller setting is needed right off and then when they start grabbing on loose rock, the controller can be reduced to a lower setting. That’s how it was on our Tekonsha controller when I put new brakes on the 21 last spring.

Took about 10 out of 12 setting to get good braking after install and initial adjustment of the new brake assemblies. Burnished them in according to Dexter instructions. Did not buy self adjusters. Went on a 200 mile round trip campout. By the time I got home I was adjusted down to 4.5 at highway speed. Lower on gravel and in low speed limit
Campground situations.

I expect the trailer brakes to take care of the trailer but keep them adjusted so the trailer doesn’t out brake the tow vehicle at low speeds. As the railroad yard signs say NO HUMPING.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 03-09-2023, 07:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I'm a former 2019 RTLE Ridgeline owner, note that Honda does not offer any factory-installed or Honda Accessory brake controller for this truck (Honda does provide the connector+pigtail for plug-in of an aftermarket controller to the Honda vehicle harness).

I suggest that your friend should seek guidance for a 'starting point' and then setup and calibration in the instructions for whatever aftermarket controller he has installed.

The settings for your F150, or any other vehicle / trailer / controller combination will likely not be of much value to him; proper setup is a matter of the specific truck + trailer + controller combination.
Agree with Alan. Also, make sure brake controller is already wired in when he arrives- it was not easy to plug in that pigtail in my 2019. I got a different one so it would plug into the controller I already owned (instead of having to wire it in) but the access in the truck is not easy.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 11:03 AM   #7
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdanforth View Post
I have a friend who is taking delivery of his Escape 19 next week and he asked me about the initial settings of the electronic brake controller for his 2019 Honda Ridgeline. I've had my E19 for about a year, but tow with a F150 3.5l - cant remember where I started, but maybe about 6.0 then adjusted. Any thoughts or recommendations? I don't have any info on the specific controller...

Thanks!
Everyone has made some good points and the fact that the brakes need to be tested before heading out, particularly with a new trailer. My 2022 17A came with Dexter Never Adjust breaks and I believe that's standard on new trailers. When I picked up our new trailer, I checked the gain on my F150 and had to set it to 9. I always check the gain before starting out to insure the breaks are working and I found with each trip I had to reset the gain as the brakes continued to self adjust. Now I'm at 4.5. So keep testing and have patience while the brakes get better and better.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote