How do you think I’ll do....? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
How do you think I’ll do....?

We are considering a 19 Escape. I plan on towing it with my 2014 Explorer with 50,000 miles. It has the factory 500/5000 towing package which includes an oversized radiator and tranny cooler. And the Tow button that locks out the 6th gear and lowers the rest if I researched correctly. It’s a naturally aspirated V6 at 290hp and 255 lbs torque 4000 rpm and 3.65 gear ratio. How will it do in the Black Hills or Yellowstone? Or on the freeway for that matter. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
On paper it looks great........
Old 07-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I drove an Explorer for years. Had two of them put on about 380,000 miles. Never pulled an Escape but I have pulled a trailer quite a bit with it.

I think it will do fine. Those engines Ford uses put out a lot of power. There might be a time or two where the Explorer doesn't pull fast enough, but overall it should be fine.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Your specs are pretty close to those of our Highlander and we’ve driven all over the American West including many passes and highways pulling our 19 and 21 Escape Classics. You will do fine. Some will Pooh Pooh your choice. Come to a rally in Iowa where I am I attendance and I will fit you with verbal armor and you may get lucky and eventually see the proverbial blushing sailor. Hope you can make a future rally when this covid thing gets straightened out.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-06-2020, 10:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the encouragement, I feel better now. I have towed about 2400 lbs of Boat, Motor and Trailer with a 3.5L Edge. It did ok with it, but I definitely knew it was behind me. That’s why I’m a little skeptical.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, I feel better now. I have towed about 2400 lbs of Boat, Motor and Trailer with a 3.5L Edge. It did ok with it, but I definitely knew it was behind me. That’s why I’m a little skeptical.
The Edge depending on configuration has a max towing capacity of only 3500#. You will be much better off with the Explorer. We tow with older V6 4Runners with same 500#/5000# capacity as Explorer and it is more than adequate for the 19.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The Edge depending on configuration has a max towing capacity of only 3500#. You will be much better off with the Explorer. We tow with older V6 4Runners with same 500#/5000# capacity as Explorer and it is more than adequate for the 19.
I was just demonstrating my experience with a V6 and towing. But to be fair ...I think it had a lot to do with the Final Gear ratio in the Edge. The Explorer is much better in that regard.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #8

3.73 or greater is ideal for towing 3000lbs. 3.42 is inadequate. The 3.65 in the Explorer is acceptable. That’s what I’ve read...nothing is carved in stone.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I was just demonstrating my experience with a V6 and towing. But to be fair ...I think it had a lot to do with the Final Gear ratio in the Edge. The Explorer is much better in that regard.
Yes understood. We know there is much more to towing capacity than simply HP. My wife's Acura RDX has a 280 hp 3.5L V6 and is only rated to tow 1500#.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Just remember the cyclone V6 engines must rev for ideal torque and HP. With the 3.5 I think peak torque is in the 4000s range.
Explorer has longer wheelbase and more curb weight than Edge which will help with pulling the 19.
You won't be doing 120kph up any mountains but should manage 90-100 without issue most of the time. Keep eye on trans temp and engine temp.
We pulled our 2500# ish pop up with mountain bikes on the roof rack up highway 3 in BC east of Salmon in my cyclone powered F150 and I had 800-1000# in the truck (and have a topper with cross bars) and am on 3" taller than factory tires and still on stock gearing which brings my ratio down to 3.50 or so compared to stock 3.73.
It had to rev, but did it. Only issue was I didn't have the trans cooler at the time so had to pull over at the top and cool down as trans temp moved to yellow.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunfiddy View Post
Just remember the cyclone V6 engines must rev for ideal torque and HP. With the 3.5 I think peak torque is in the 4000s range.
Explorer has longer wheelbase and more curb weight than Edge which will help with pulling the 19.
You won't be doing 120kph up any mountains but should manage 90-100 without issue most of the time. Keep eye on trans temp and engine temp.
We pulled our 2500# ish pop up with mountain bikes on the roof rack up highway 3 in BC east of Salmon in my cyclone powered F150 and I had 800-1000# in the truck (and have a topper with cross bars) and am on 3" taller than factory tires and still on stock gearing which brings my ratio down to 3.50 or so compared to stock 3.73.
It had to rev, but did it. Only issue was I didn't have the trans cooler at the time so had to pull over at the top and cool down as trans temp moved to yellow.
That’s what I’m guessing...60 mph, no more. Thanks for more to think about 😀
Old 07-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
If you are more interested in enjoying the trip, rather than keeping a rigid schedule, your tow vehicle will clearly do just fine.

Are there better tow vehicles? Sure, but with a bit of experience with what you already have will tell you if the limitations of your current rig really matter to you. Back in the '60's, when I ran my TR-3 in weekend autocross races at the local shopping mall parking lots, the rule was "you run what you brung." Even saw a 1950 Chevy pickup run the course! The idea is to have fun, not fuss with what someone else is up to.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
If you are more interested in enjoying the trip, rather than keeping a rigid schedule, your tow vehicle will clearly do just fine.

Are there better tow vehicles? Sure, but with a bit of experience with what you already have will tell you if the limitations of your current rig really matter to you. Back in the '60's, when I ran my TR-3 in weekend autocross races at the local shopping mall parking lots, the rule was "you run what you brung." Even saw a 1950 Chevy pickup run the course! The idea is to have fun, not fuss with what someone else is up to.
I agree. But too slow and lack luster acceleration can be unnerving and a safety issue. I’ve got the bar set low with the Explorer, so I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it performs well. I don’t need a steady 70 mph to be happy.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I tow a 24' boat, living on Cape Cod and have a 21' Escape and the difference is night and day. Have a great trip
stpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Voyager, it appears you've thought a lot about this, which is good. I think you are now ready for the only avenue remaining open to you--which is to try it and see if the tow vehicle/trailer combo works for you.

Choose some easy, short trips to start, and your skills and confidence will develop with experience. You will soon enough conclude whether your Explorer will satisfy you as your long term tow, or that you want something else. Looking forward to learn how it works out for you.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
Voyager, it appears you've thought a lot about this, which is good. I think you are now ready for the only avenue remaining open to you--which is to try it and see if the tow vehicle/trailer combo works for you.

Choose some easy, short trips to start, and your skills and confidence will develop with experience. You will soon enough conclude whether your Explorer will satisfy you as your long term tow, or that you want something else. Looking forward to learn how it works out for you.
Thanks.I remember 30 years ago we were on a family fishing trip to Kashabowie Ontario from our home in Minneapolis. We were pulling an average 16’ aluminum fishing boat with a 30 hp outboard. We used the family sedan, an ‘88 Taurus with a 3.0L I think, probably no more than 150 hp. The boat and trunk were loaded with luggage and fishing gear. Two young boys in the back and my Wife and I in front. The Taurus did surprisingly well, I liked that car a lot, but on the way back headed south on 35 out of Duluth there’s a grade you have to climb..maybe a 500’ ft climb over a mile or so. I remember it was blistering hot that day and the Taurus was doing everything it could to make that climb. We had to move to the slow lane with the Semi’s that were creeping along at 25 mph or so. The temp gauge was headed into dangerous territory, once I shut off the A/C it began to steady the gage. There’s no real dramatic ending to this story, we eventually leveled out at the crest and it was smooth sailing to the Twin City’s. But it left an impression on me that with the right combination of events towing may seem easy enough, but it isn’t always as it appears.