How high does high axle raise coupler? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17A
How high does high axle raise coupler?

I hope my unfamiliarity with the technical terms involved with a WDH will not make the following question incomprehensible!

I am trying to decide whether ordering the high axle option in combination with a WDH on my Build Sheet for a 17A might cause a problem opening the Highlander's rear hatch door when connected to a trailer.

Specifically, I am towing with a 2016 Toyota Highlander that has the towing package, but even now when towing my 2200 pound pop up camper, the vehicle does drop an inch or so in the rear when connected to the pop up. Driving after dark (or before sunrise), I do get the occasional flash of lights from oncoming drivers because they feel my headlights are aimed too high (or that my bright lights are on), thanks to my Highlander's saggy butt.

I figure the Escape 17A is going to weigh about 700-800 pounds more than the pop up camper does. So I am getting a weight distribution hitch, and I like the convenience of the E2.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos about the installation and use of the E2 and ProSeries WDHs. The "head" of the WDH (or whatever that part of the WDH is called; I apologize for the layman's terminology) where it is attached to the tow vehicle is pretty hefty. If, before installation of the WDH, the trailer coupler is already considerably higher than the tow vehicle's hitch ... especially if the trailer has the high axle option installed ... that WDH head may need to be positioned with the adjusting pin pretty high on an upright head in order for the trailer to sit level while it is connected to the Highlander.

If my description has not already confused you, here is the crux of my question:

(1) Would getting the high axle option on the Escape exacerbate the mismatch in height between the level trailer's coupler and the hitch on my saggy butt Highlander?
(2). Would the flipped-upright WDH head be so high as to interfere with opening the Highlander's rear hatch door?
(3) how much does the high axle option raise the tongue and the coupler of the trailer?
(4). Ever heard of anyone with a WDH having trouble opening a rear hatch because of something on the WDH being in the way?

I look forward to some enlightenment on this new-to-me topic of WDHs and high axle kits! My decision on ordering that high axle kit may hinge on the answers to these questions,

Thanks in advance!
Glenn
GlennT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
The "head" of the WDH (or whatever that part of the WDH is called..
It actually is called the "head" by at least some manufacturers - that's a perfectly good term.

Quote:
(3) how much does the high axle option raise the tongue and the coupler of the trailer?
The lift kit raises the trailer (including the coupler) by 2-5/8" (or 2.625", or 67 mm).

Quote:
(4). Ever heard of anyone with a WDH having trouble opening a rear hatch because of something on the WDH being in the way?
Not that I recall, but in some combinations of tug and trailer, the tug's rear hatch may hit the tongue jack; mine clears, but without much extra space (but my Sienna's hatch is much lower than that of a Highlander).

If your combination requires that the WDH shank is placed sticking up in the rise position (rather than the usual hanging down, in the drop position), then even if the head is low enough, the top end of the shank may be too high. That's not a common situation; WDH shanks usually need to be turned up only with unusually low hitch receivers (such as on my van).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17A
Thanks, Brian. As usual, a thorough and comprehensive answer. I appreciate the info!

Glenn
GlennT is offline   Reply With Quote