How many miles on your trailer? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2023, 11:17 AM   #21

Our 2011 Escape 19 has about 60,000 km on it, and it has been to virtually all three Canadian coasts, including the Dempster Hwy, Top of the World Hwy, and the Trans Labrador Hwy. We have had two frame recalls, for which Escape paid most of the expense and/or shipped parts for. We've replaced the tires once after the big northern trip 6 years ago. We've had the trailer serviced (safety check, propane, electrical, wheel bearings) by local pro's every second spring. We replaced the 6 v lead acid batteries, with lead acid acid batteries three years ago. We live in Edmonton, Alberta and the trailer resides in the back yard. The batteries are left in all winter, and I plug the trailer in to charge the batteries for three to six days at the end of each month... longer when it is -30oC. We replaced the awning cover three years ago. The southern section of the Trans Labrador hwy was the hardest on the trailer and some cupboard door repairs were necessary after it. The Dempster hwy was the hardest on the bottom side of the trailer, the sharp gravel ate the wastewater drain hose storage tube. I replaced it in Inuvik with an ABS pipe. We recently replaced the circuit board in the Magic Fan.
I'm not sure you save a lot of $s with a trailer over motels, but you sure get to choose nice places to camp.
marklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:01 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Trip Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
I faithfully record the mileage, fuel consumption and pit stop locations on my TV, and keep a separate "diary" for the Lark, but whenever I start to tally up the miles the Lark has traveled I get to daydreaming where I've been and where I want to go--trying to inventory the miles traveled is a waste of my time. My wife is no help 'cause she has the same problem.
I also keep a trip log. And, there are times when I wistfully review it for memorabilia purposes.

I've developed a couple of formulas to track tire mileage and lube/bearing maintenance. A copy of the log in Micro$oft Excel format is available here.

Currently, my tires are "on the bubble". I plan to replace them and do the lube/bearing maintenance when I return from the Gunter Hill gathering in a couple of weeks.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape19
Hubometer

I have recently ordered a hubometer to put on the wheel hub of my new NE21. I want to start from the beginning and keep accurate records of mileage. I never did that on my E19.
Ascheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:48 PM   #24

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascheck View Post
I have recently ordered a hubometer to put on the wheel hub of my new NE21. I want to start from the beginning and keep accurate records of mileage. I never did that on my E19.
Can you supply a link to the appropriate version or model of the Escape hubs?
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
I don’t own an Escape, but have owned two all-aluminum trailers, and kept trip logs for both.
My 2010 13’ Camp Lite traveled 52,000 miles over ten years. I replaced the batteries twice. I got about 20,000 miles on both Carlise and TowMaxx tires. The hot water heater was sometimes difficult to light but was never significant problem. However, the A-frame cracked three times, mostly due to my tow vehicle’s stiff suspension.
My 2020 31’ ATC has about 12,000 miles on it. I replaced the original batteries with Lithium in 2021 and it was worth the cost. I have replaced two tires, both due to tread separation. I have twice had the brakes serviced because grease leaked through the wheel seals for unknown reasons. There have been no other issues with the trailer.
The number one issue with most trailers seems to be tires. I check tire pressure every day and inspect the tread. Both tires with tread separation showed unusual tread wear first. I check lug nuts before each trip, and more frequently if I find loose lug nuts. With my old trailer, I checked brakes and wheel bearings every other year. I inspect my new trailer twice a year due to repeatedly finding grease on the brakes.
As others have said, off-roading is tough on trailers. You will find all the weak spots. The weakest point of bumper pull trailer frames is where the A-frame goes under the front wall of the trailer. Escape has had issues here in the past, and that is where my Camp Lite broke three times. You may consider having a welding shop add about 12” – 16” of reinforcing square tube under the A-frame where it goes under the front wall. Don’t go overboard with reinforcement, if it is too strong it will cause problems elsewhere (Don’t ask how I know!).
The key to minimal problems is preventative maintenance. A trailer is subjected to a continuous earthquake, so things that don’t fail at home can fail in your trailer. This forum is an excellent source of information and is why I am here even though I don’t own an Escape. Happy trailering!
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:53 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
The key to minimal problems is preventative maintenance. A trailer is subjected to a continuous earthquake, so things that don’t fail at home can fail in your trailer. This forum is an excellent source of information and is why I am here even though I don’t own an Escape. Happy trailering!
Couldn't agree more. I would also add that if you want your trailer, any trailer, to last a long time, then slow down! Just because you can drive your rig down the highway at 80mph doesn't mean you should. Take it easy, enjoy the ride and you and your trailer will be much happier.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We have about 40-50,000 miles on our 2014 21'escape. Replaced tires and batteries about 3 years back. Carlisles looked great when replaced. Run Goodyears now. Had the Frig replaced on the exchange program early on. Have not had any real issues over the years. Performed like a champ on 11,000 mile Alaska trip this summer. Did have the oven door come off on the last leg of Alaska highway. Straightened the hinges and put back on with some bungee safety straps for the balance of the trip. A bit of chalking on the fiberglass from first 6 years outside. It lives in my barn now, out of the weather and boy is that easier on everybody. No mildew and bird crap to deal with now. We swapped out the mattress for foam one about 3 years back. Wife much happier with new mattress. Original seemed ok to me.

Do it again? Sure. But no dry bath for the 23'. Shoot!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
Can you supply a link to the appropriate version or model of the Escape hubs?
Escapes have Dexter Torflex #10 axles, which have the same wheel-end hardware (so the same hubs and would fit the same hub-mount odometers) as Dexter D35 beam axles. Regardless of the spring rating, they have 3500 pound capacity (per axle) hardware, which can also help identify the correct hub.

But if it mounts on the wheel, rather than the hub, the axle and hub won't matter.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE F2
Thank you for this!
John From MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:28 PM   #30

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE F2
@pstyer Thank you for this!
John From MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 02:42 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
We sometimes keep close track of milage and sometimes not. My wonderful child bride Rita bought the 21 used in July of 2017. It already had 4 years of travel on it and had made several trips from Tucson to Chilliwack and Osoyoos. Maintenance and care had been impeccable.

It did not come with a solar panel so after we pulled it about 2000 miles home on a non direct trip from Tucson we took it to Chilliwack and got solar installed; 5000 miles. Then to a few rallies that fall including Niagara Falls. Miles add up. In 2018 and 2019 we traveled 17,000 miles each year.

The trailer is now on its third set of Goodyear Endurance tires the last set went 32,000 miles per tire.
Actual problems have been very minimal. One new water pump, a new propane regulator, and a few other minor fixes. I am probably excessive on my attention to running gear maintenance, tire pressures, judicious loading, electric brake adjustment, tongue weight and Anderson hitch adjustment but that’s the way I was raised. I hide in the 3 garages to get out of work and then end up working while I’m hiding.

I believe that attention to detail and attention to performance and when driving serious concentration focused on the task at hand has largely eliminated many potential problems. I disassemble clean and grease the bearings every spring. Adjust the brakes and rotate the tires every 8000 miles with the spare in rotation.
We are fortunate to have built a 24 by 32 metal building where we store the Escape. I have jack stands, several jacks, a good floor fan, and 18v Impact wrench, impact sockets and a lifetime of hand and power tools.

My youngest brother lives about 15 miles from me. He has forgotten more about maintenance than I ever knew. He helps me when need a hand. He has worked as a certified welder, electrician, HVAC person and had oversight for building maintenance in 116 eastern iowa post offices before retiring. He wired the Escape garage with a 30amp RV receptacle so the Escape stays plugged in all the time. I do not worry about the electrical use as we have a 7.6 kWh solar array that takes care of all of our electrical needs.

I recently had the brakes on the 2018 Highlander redone. At 112,000 miles on the original brakes there was still 30% wear left on the front pads and 50% left on the rears. There was a rust ridge I didn’t like on the front rotors. I could have taken it back out of the shop and probably made rhe summer on those brakes. But that’s not me. I had the original pads replaced with a premium product, and the front rotors also. I am easy on brakes because I drive way out in front of where I am and I use the hell out of the shiftable transmission in the mountains. I tow in 6th gear and her transmission don’t hunt much.

Tools I use frequently
1) Tire tread depth gauge and tire pressure tester.
2) thermal heat gun to check hub temps each time I stop
3) Manometer (mostly to help other campers)
4) 12 volt tire inflator and tire repair kit
5) Multimeter for electrical checks
6) Not a tool but grease and lubricants to fit the task
7) I carry a battery booster pack, 4 ton bottle jack, about 25 lbs of tools dedicated to just the Escape (specific sockets etc)
8) Ice pick to flip sharp rocks (mostly flint in the west) out of the tire treads.
9) Proto high polish 30 to 150 ft/lbs 1/2 inch calibrated torque wrench.
10) Genuine fairly current Rand McNally road map book.
11.) and finally, yes a small MF Ball Pien hammer.

Rita polishes the Escape once a year with Rejex and uses her
Little Giant ladder.
Hey! I hold it steady for her and move it around. And I even pull the tires and wheels so she can do a nice job on the wheel wells, so don’t judge me. Whoops. She just reminded me, she moves her own ladder. I inspect the job and say “You missed a spot!” And duck. Approaching 53 years of bliss and ducking.

I drive between about 58 and 63 miles an hour most of the time and like to drive about 350 miles a day when we are on a trip.

We haul 10 gallons of fresh water and a full hot water heater but nothing in the grey and black tanks if I don’t have to.

We use two water filters, one at the connection and one under the sink.

We have easy lube axles but I’ve never used the grease gun on them. From the words of the bank robber in the opening scenes of “Dirty Harry” “I gots to know man, I gots to know”

I realize that some people consider me “a little off” but I was raised by a WWII tanker (3 rd Armored). Gasoline, grease and sweat put me through college and I live by the Latin phrase:
Salis Populi Suprema Lex. The people’s safety is the highest law.

I don’t have any tattoos but if I did one would say “Grease is cheap insurance” and the other would say “ Make her Tan” referring to my excessive (according to my cheap bosses) use of grass seed when I was establishing new turf grass in my 32 year parks and recreation career.

Have a great day and wrap your sandwiches in a piece of roadmap. Eat the sandwich and study the map, it’s better than social media. In my not so humble opinion.
Iowa Dave
I love your post
Intravenous Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote