How much turning space needed to park a 5.0TA? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2021, 10:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I thought we weren't backing the trailer.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #22

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I thought we weren't backing the trailer.
Yes, I've read the same from AuthorSP. Don't know why backing is being talked about.

Driving forward I can turn pretty darn tight with our 5.0, especially turning left, when I can see the cut and camper with the driver's rear view mirror. Turning right, not so much, but again, turning left, no problem.

Your choice of truck is another factor. Our 2019 F150 with Quad Cab and 6.5' box needs a slightly larger arc to turn than our 2015 extended cab with 6.5' box required.

Good god, this is two posts in a row I've agreed with Glenn!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Hello! As we sit through our long, long wait for our future 5.0TA, we're planning for various things, including a garage to store her for the winter. What follows is my attempt to give a visual idea of the plan, so as to imagine the process for getting into the garage with enough space. I know this is an odd question, but I'm hoping some folks here have done this sort of thing, and any help is appreciated!

In the space we are considering, the layout of the garage will probably have to be perpendicular to the road (so if road is east-west, then the building runs north-south, and the camper will face east-west inside the garage). The building is to the north of the road. The entry to the garage will be on the west side. The approach to the property is from the east. The idea is to have doors on both sides of the garage so we can simply drive in and pull through.

So that means we will have to pass the garage, then turn right off the road onto the driveway, then turn to the right again in order to enter the garage.

So this is the part I am not sure of. Roughly speaking, how tight can we make the two right turns without being difficult to navigate? How much of a "straightaway" do we need before the doors in order to drive straight in? Any other considerations?
The property is not cleared yet, so this is to plan for the driveway and position of the garage in relation to the road, hopefully with as little space required as is reasonably possible. (Sketch below on #9.)
Thanks!
Hi: AuthorSP... "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I keep my Escape in my rear yard, access via an alley that is 10-12' wide, it takes some turning but eventually I get it inside my 10' gate.........great practice for campsites!
Old 07-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
When camping recently we had a choice of several sites with varying ease of backing in. I chose the most difficult one. Number one, need to keep my skills up and I like a challenge. Secondly, most folks units are larger than our Escape and could use the easier to access site.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It depends a LOT on you tow vehicle's wheelbase. I can turn our 21 around much closer with my 2019 Expedition (regular not EL than with the 2021 mid-size Ford Transit. The Expedition has 122" wheelbase and the Transit has 148".
Old 08-15-2021, 12:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
My 5.0 turns very tight...with an f 150 it turns as tight as the truck......not sure I answered your question though.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Sign of the times!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin50 View Post
My 5.0 turns very tight...with an f 150 it turns as tight as the truck......not sure I answered your question though.
Hi: Algonquin50... Not sure this will help either but I heard of an eastcoast Canadian on his first road trip... got to the Ontario/Quebec border, saw a sign that said "Toronto left", so he turned around and went home!!!
Try a tight turn on wet grass and after turning get out and look at the tire tracks. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin50 View Post
That's typical - with suitable cab-to-trailer clearance, any fifth-wheel trailer doesn't limit the turning radius of the truck (and most tow vehicles are not limited by their conventional trailers).

The trailer still matters to the space needed, because space is needed on the inside of the turn for the trailer; if you had a driveway just wide enough for the truck to keep all four wheels on in a tight turn, the trailer tires on the inside of the turn would run off of the driveway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote