How reliable is the Ford Ecoboost engine? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #1

Trailer: none
How reliable is the Ford Ecoboost engine?

I was talking to my step-son (who is a bit of a backyard mechanic) and was advised to steer clear of the ecoboost engines as they have issues with carbon building up in them, or something to that effect. I don't have any detail beyond that but he was told this by a friend who is a Ford master mechanic. His friend said it's an issue which Ford has been keeping under wraps.

Would like to here from actual owners about your personal experiences and your mileage.

Don't shoot me, I'm only telling you what I was told.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interestingly I heard the same about the smaller diesels being used around town and having carbonizing issues since they do not reach optimal operating temperature.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
That’s the same thing I was told by our two local Ford Dealers
Both recommend the V8 for the Ford F-150 .
I am sure some will question the dealers motives but I have gotten the same advice from local mechanics .
That being said no one builds a totally trouble free vehicle.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
FWIW: I have a friend Steve L. who towed his 17' Casita with a 2010 Ford Flex with ecoboost, the first year it was offered in the Flex. He then got a 2013 Ford Flex w/ecoboost and now a 2018 Ford Flex w/ecoboost. Why so many? They keep getting better, new vehicle 'features' too. He retired from Ford Motor (R&D) in 2014, but believes strongly in the ecoboost.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

I had heard there were some issues in the earlier versions but not sure what the issues were. This may be what my step-son's friend was talking about?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We own a 2013 Explorer eco boost sport and also owned a 2013 F150 eco boost. In 2017 I traded in the F150 because the trade in value was so high. This is something that I never do. I am a 10 to 15 year before selling kind of guy.

My wife uses her 2013 eco boost only for short drives in town and she is not heavy on the pedal. There has been no problems with the engine so far even though there are “tails” of what could happen on the internet. If there was a mass problem with theses engines Ford would not be able to contain the results. Time will tell on theses first generation engines.

Ford has however updated the way the fuel is injected into the eco boost in 2017 with a system of injectors that respond diffently if the engine is warm or cold. This is said to control any long term build up.

I was not a Ford person at all before the eco boost, but now I am sold. Others are going to have to go a long way to catch up with their gas engines...literally.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Have a 2012 3.5L, with 93k miles. The only issue I've encountered was highway driving in heavy rain. When I gave it gas to pass or some such the engine would bog down. Had the dealer do a TSB that had come out on the subject. They of course new nothing about it, it was something I found on the F150 forums. That was about 50k miles ago, no problems since. Other then that it's been fine. I had also heard a number of horror stories about the engine before I bought it, glad I didn't listen.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post

Ford has however updated the way the fuel is injected into the eco boost in 2017 with a system of injectors that respond diffently if the engine is warm or cold. This is said to control any long term build up.
I seem to recall that was the issue, now that you mention it. It's been about a month or so since we had talked about this.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We have a 2017 Ford expedition with the ecoboost. We have had no problems and are very satisfied so far. Our previous tow vehicle was a 2001 Ford Expedition with the smaller V8. Our ecoboost has much, much more horsepower and torque compared to the 2001's V8, and the gas mileage on the 2017 is just as good or better.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I was talking to my step-son (who is a bit of a backyard mechanic) and was advised to steer clear of the ecoboost engines as they have issues with carbon building up in them, or something to that effect. I don't have any detail beyond that but he was told this by a friend who is a Ford master mechanic. His friend said it's an issue which Ford has been keeping under wraps.

Would like to here from actual owners about your personal experiences and your mileage.

Don't shoot me, I'm only telling you what I was told.
A couple months ago I purchased a used 2015 F150 with the 3.5L EB - 50,000 miles on it. After getting a better feel for the vehicle by driving on the road for a few hours I felt like it could be carboned up. I don't know if it still applies but when I was young the rule was to blow the carbon out by getting those rpms up. I did that (shifted down and let it roar) after which and still today seems to be a-okay. I am not sure how long the vehicle may have been sitting or what kind of driving history it had. Maybe my imagination or just the thrill of it.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
A couple months ago I purchased a used 2015 F150 with the 3.5L EB - 50,000 miles on it. After getting a better feel for the vehicle by driving on the road for a few hours I felt like it could be carboned up. I don't know if it still applies but when I was young the rule was to blow the carbon out by getting those rpms up. I did that (shifted down and let it roar) after which and still today seems to be a-okay. I am not sure how long the vehicle may have been sitting or what kind of driving history it had. Maybe my imagination or just the thrill of it.
With today's modern engines you can't really "blow" the carbon deposits out by revving. If you think you have carbon deposits, a fuel system cleaner added to a full tank of gas (I like the professional grade ones like BG) should take care of it. It chemically dissolves the carbon, but it takes time. Usually one treatment with a full tank, and making sure not to refill again until you're empty.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
With today's modern engines you can't really "blow" the carbon deposits out by revving. If you think you have carbon deposits, a fuel system cleaner added to a full tank of gas (I like the professional grade ones like BG) should take care of it. It chemically dissolves the carbon, but it takes time. Usually one treatment with a full tank, and making sure not to refill again until you're empty.
Thanks, something seemed to have changed, I don't think it was in my mind, but it is running fine now.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Speaking of fuel cleaner, I ran a Black Car Service in Minnesota for 13 years, we mainly ran Lincolns and Expeditions (both the old V8 Towncars and the MKT's). We never ran any fuel additives in the cars. We sold close to a couple dozen vehicles with over 300,000 miles. No engine or transmission work but we had one Expedition broke a valve stem. All were naturally aspirated engines (I'm not sure for the public but Lincoln did build MKT's specifically for the LIMO industry that were not EcoBoost). Great cars when sold and I kept up with some of the purchasers who were very happy with the vehicles.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #14

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
eco boost 3.5

Ford has redone its 3.5 in 2017 generation 2 for their Expedition and F-150s I believe they have an extra injector before the intake valve(cleans intake valve at idle speed) and also the one in the combustion chamber . They say they need a catch oil can for the earlier 3.5 eco-boost engines to stop the intake valve from becoming carboned up ? Go to you tube and you can hear what Ford Master mechanics say about the 2011-2016 engines

We have a 2018 Expeditionwith the 3.5 eco boost , what an awesome SUV We are getting about 19mpg around town and over 25mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph .We haven't towed anything yet, but will next month i will keep you posted Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Ford has redone its 3.5 in 2017 generation 2 for their Expedition and F-150s I believe they have an extra injector before the intake valve(cleans intake valve at idle speed) and also the one in the combustion chamber . They say they need a catch oil can for the earlier 3.5 eco-boost engines to stop the intake valve from becoming carboned up ? Go to you tube and you can hear what Ford Master mechanics say about the 2011-2016 engines

We have a 2018 Expeditionwith the 3.5 eco boost , what an awesome SUV We are getting about 19mpg around town and over 25mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph .We haven't towed anything yet, but will next month i will keep you posted Jim

OP here. So it sounds like the earlier ecoboost engines may have had some issues but they were resolved in 2017?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #16

I would say they have not had issues yet but the design might lead to carbon build up in the future. I would put my money on the new design...2017 or newer if you wanted to keep the vehicle for any length of time.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I would say they have not had issues yet but the design might lead to carbon build up in the future. I would put my money on the new design...2017 or older if you wanted to keep the vehicle for any length of time.

Did you mean 2017 or newer?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #18

Yes...thank you...2017 or newer. I have made the correction.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #19

Thanks. I'm thinking a newer 3.5 ecoboost might be the way to go.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

I have driven a lot of vehicles in my time both company and personal. I find our 2017 3.5 F150 the most comfortable for my 5ft 10 body. Even drove 13.5 hours pulling the 19 once and my body was still ok.
My wife likes the width of the leg room on the passenger side and with the flat floor in the back we can put two fat tire electric “Voltbikes” in back without even folding them.
Attached Thumbnails
BAC49BE6-2250-4FA4-BD01-B18BBA91857C.jpg