Huge, pricey pickups - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #1

Trailer: ?
Huge, pricey pickups

An interesting article about the popularity, and profitability, in big pickups.

$70,000 usd and you too, can travel in style.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1PU1E4
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
That sure seems to be the trend in pickups. When I started shopping last year to replace our 1998 Ram I was appalled at first, but upon further checking found that I was able to order a 2019 Ram that, while basic by today's standards, has every feature I need for towing and feels quite luxurious even at a lower trim level for half the cost of the top of the line highly optioned luxury trucks. Same engine, same body, just fewer bells and whistles.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I understand the pricey part but I fail to see the “huge “ .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I understand the pricey part but I fail to see the “huge “ .
The article focused on "Heavy Duty Trucks" and based on the models quoted, they were all bigger than the 1/2 ton "Light Duty" trucks most Escape owners use.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
The article focused on "Heavy Duty Trucks" and based on the models quoted, they were all bigger than the 1/2 ton "Light Duty" trucks most Escape
The 2020 Ford F-250 looks like a nice truck and a dandy tow vehicle IMHO !
I don’t like the feeling of being on the edge with my current 1/2 ton truck towing my 21 ft trailer .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ginny Mae

I was in Fort Wayne Indiana last week and drove past the GMC pickup and Chevy Pickup assembly plant a couple times. They sure had a lot of nice looking pickups in the lots there. It’s quite an operation with almost 5,000 employees, turning out a thousand trucks a day and humming right along. Just think, they make enough pickups in two or three days to pull all the Escapes ever made. Whether you’re a GM fan or not, you can’t help but marvel at operations of this size. I’m sure there are other plants doing same volumes for different manufacturers. No wonder cities compete so hard for truck and auto plants.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We began shopping for a replacement for our 2000 tundra that the frame was rotting away and the recall was over. After looking at 100000 mileage pickups that were still nearly 20000, I found an immaculate 2004 ford with a tow package for 12000. GAs mileage isn’t as good but it ties the 21 just fine. It labored a bit over the Rocky Mountain pass
But gets close to 12 towing
Given the price of new pickups 30000 buys a lot of gas.
Was tempted to pull the trigger on a 2018 f150 for 35000 but my better sense kicked in .
50 to 70000 for a new truck is pretty crazy since the profit is all in trim. I suspect the truck bubble will burst like all at some point.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
We began shopping for a replacement for our 2000 tundra that the frame was rotting away and the recall was over. After looking at 100000 mileage pickups that were still nearly 20000, I found an immaculate 2004 ford with a tow package for 12000. GAs mileage isn’t as good but it ties the 21 just fine. It labored a bit over the Rocky Mountain pass
Was tempted to pull the trigger on a 2018 f150 for 35000 but my better sense kicked in .
50 to 70000 for a new truck is pretty crazy since the profit is all in trim. I suspect the truck bubble will burst like all at some point.
Exactly our thinking too ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
If you look at the over all cost of most style cars they have all gone up a good percentage in the last several years. I have a family member who has been in the car business his whole life and all of that was with Nissan until recently, he said one of the industries biggest challenges today is making cars to good that last too long, average age of car on road in the US is now 11 1/2 years.
Trucks and SUV's are what a lot of people are in the market for these days so higher demand higher price, let gas prices go up say over $3.50 a gallon and the value of that SUV and or truck will suffer from it.
He also would also say (well would not tell a customer this) unless you are going to keep a car at least 7 years you are better off buying a 2 year old version of what you like. Problem with that and he admits since people are holding there cars longer harder to find certain type cars, SUV's and trucks would be harder to find.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I am with you. I will be using my 2002 Tundra (with a new frame) and 165K miles for my towing needs. You can buy a lot of gas for 30 grand.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
tis why I bought a 2002 F250 to tow my 21 (and also for general hauling duty). $13000 just seemed a lot more reasonable for a diesel pickup than $60,000 or whatever they run now. And, its a XLT, so its reasonably well equipped. the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel has a lot fewer expensive technical problems than the newer diesels, too.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
tis why I bought a 2002 F250 to tow my 21 (and also for general hauling duty). $13000 just seemed a lot more reasonable for a diesel pickup than $60,000 or whatever they run now. And, its a XLT, so its reasonably well equipped. the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel has a lot fewer expensive technical problems than the newer diesels, too.
We bought our 1992 F-250 XLT in 2003 to haul a 9 1/2 1992 camper which we also had bought second hand ,and had the camper until 2013 ,when we purchased the 2013 trailer new , a first for us . The previous owner towed his boat with the truck . So this truck has been a workhorse from day one . She also has air bags and anti lock brakes and the fancy interior from that day at a 6600. Price . We love this truck and take care of her .she does what she is supposed too. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, F250/F350's are real workhorses and if you keep up with basic maintenance, can last just about forever. 1999+ are the newer 'superduty' chassis, and in 2001 they added beefier rear springs to the 250 which significantly upped its tow capabilities. just avoid the 6.0 and 6.4L diesels, those are expensive timebombs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
That sure seems to be the trend in pickups. When I started shopping last year to replace our 1998 Ram I was appalled at first, but upon further checking found that I was able to order a 2019 Ram that, while basic by today's standards, has every feature I need for towing and feels quite luxurious even at a lower trim level for half the cost of the top of the line highly optioned luxury trucks. Same engine, same body, just fewer bells and whistles.
True David, as you know I have a new 2019 Ram 5.7 crew cab 4x4 it is the Lone Star Edition. It does include everything we need to pull any of the mid-size trailers that we might move up to, including, Escapes, Oliver, and Bigfoot. I personally think the vehicle has all the luxury things that we would ever need in a tow vehicle and all for the cost of less then $39,000, it listed for $50,100, Ram has some big incentives and it does change from month to month so depending when you buy could save you thousands.

trainman
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3675.jpg  
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #15

Trailer: none
I agree that anything bigger than a half ton truck is a bit overkill for the weight of a trailer like the Escape. And, let's face it, a F250/350 etc. rides like a truck! Today's half tons will provide a much more comfortable ride and get the job done!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #16

Trainman, we're almost twins! Mine's a 2WD quad cab but very similar. Can't wait to head up to Chilliwack in April to pick up our 5.0TA and see how she tows.
Attached Thumbnails
Rambo Aspens.jpg  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #17

Quote:
Trainman, we're almost twins! Mine's a 2WD quad cab but very similar. Can't wait to head up to Chilliwack in April to pick up our 5.0TA and see how she tows.
Dave, did you decide on which 5th wheel arrangement your are going to go with?

trainman
Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Dave, did you decide on which 5th wheel arrangement your are going to go with?

trainman
I will make a final decision next month when I get my rails installed, but have pretty much settled on the Demco Recon. I have a preference for a traditional 5th wheel hitch head, having traveled with one for 15 years in a similar size rig. What I like about the Demco Recon is that it is kind of a hybrid of an Andersen and a regular hitch - has a lighter weight pyramid style base with a traditional head that articulates in both directions. It's lighter than a regular 5th wheel hitch but heavier than the Andersen, but we have plenty of payload capacity so weight wasn't really a consideration. It is easier to take in and out than a regular hitch. The height adjustment is just like an Andersen - a vertical post in the middle with a pin to lock it in several positions, so a snap to adjust. To me one of the best things about it is that it has a very low footprint compared to any other traditional 5th wheel hitch - leaves more room in the bed for carrying other things. When we finally get hitched I'll post pics and will of course report back in April when we pick up our trailer.

They also make a gooseneck ball mounted base for this hitch if you go that route rather than rails.
Attached Thumbnails
Recon.png  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #19

Quote:
I will make a final decision next month when I get my rails installed, but have pretty much settled on the Demco Recon. I have a preference for a traditional 5th wheel hitch head, having traveled with one for 15 years in a similar size rig. What I like about the Demco Recon is that it is kind of a hybrid of an Andersen and a regular hitch - has a lighter weight pyramid style base with a traditional head that articulates in both directions. It's lighter than a regular 5th wheel hitch but heavier than the Andersen, but we have plenty of payload capacity so weight wasn't really a consideration. It is easier to take in and out than a regular hitch. The height adjustment is just like an Andersen - a vertical post in the middle with a pin to lock it in several positions, so a snap to adjust. To me one of the best things about it is that it has a very low footprint compared to any other traditional 5th wheel hitch - leaves more room in the bed for carrying other things. When we finally get hitched I'll post pics and will of course report back in April when we pick up our trailer.

They also make a gooseneck ball mounted base for this hitch if you go that route rather than rails.
Thanks David, I to do not want to use a hitch extender, I will read up on this hitch, looks promising. Yes I will wait for your install and pics.

trainman
Old 02-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #20

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
That's a fair amount of weight savings, my B&W is 95 for the base and 52 for the head, compared to 47 each for the Recon.