I see a new tow vehicle in my future, perhaps? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Probably 3500 lbs, same as all Jeeps. They are short and have squishy suspensions. Power is not what sets a Jeep tow limit.
Jeep models actually range from "towing not recommended" to 7,650 pounds.

Within the Wrangler model (which is currently the JL generation) the towing capacity is 2,000 pounds for the 2-door and 3,500 pounds for the 4-door, presumably due to wheelbase (since there is little other difference). These ratings - including the wheelbase dependence - have been around for a couple of decades.

The Gladiator (JT) is based on the Wrangler, but has a revised rear suspension and substantially longer wheelbase (than even the 4-door Wrangler), and is rated for 7,000 lb (3,200 kg) to 7,650 lb (3,470 kg) - depending on optional packages - with the same front suspension, steering, tires, and powertrain as the Wrangler.

I agree that power, or any other characteristic of the powertrain, is not the determining factor for the towing capacity of a Jeep Wrangler.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
...the YJ was mid 80s to early 90s and was based on the last CJ-7, with a lower stance and wider track for improved stability.
1987-1995. Even with the wider track a fellow highschool classmate flipped one and I was close with mine once (or twice). They rode rough and were very loud but were easy to work on and a lot of fun in the summer with top and doors off. Had great times in that Jeep.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2020, 10:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve not owned a jeep but pulled a few out of the ditch back in the day. Hunting one day with a friend who had an ancient Dodge Power Wagon we came upon a pretty new jeep, way off the road, in the snow in a wide ditch. We offered to pull him out. “With that old thing?” Showed no respect. But we chained off to him and in granny low pulled him out at not much more than an idle. We were running fairly new B F Goodrich Super All-Tractions. Once up on the road and putting our tow chains away, the Jeep owner said he thought he could have gotten out with some more digging. He said without smiling “Jeep wrote the book on four wheel drive” which at that time was a jeep advertising slogan. Since he had neglected to say thanks I figured I might as well p... him off and said “yeah, they wrote the book but I doubt you can read”. Got in the Power Wagon and drove off.
Rita’s brother had Jeeps. Started with a CJ2A and went from there.
My dad loved those old short Jeeps and often took one to the open wheel car races to push start race cars including the great Dick Ritchie. I have a number of good jeep stories.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’ve not owned a jeep but pulled a few out of the ditch back in the day. Hunting one day with a friend who had an ancient Dodge Power Wagon we came upon a pretty new jeep, way off the road, in the snow in a wide ditch. We offered to pull him out. “With that old thing?” Showed no respect. But we chained off to him and in granny low pulled him out at not much more than an idle. We were running fairly new B F Goodrich Super All-Tractions. Once up on the road and putting our tow chains away, the Jeep owner said he thought he could have gotten out with some more digging. He said without smiling “Jeep wrote the book on four wheel drive” which at that time was a jeep advertising slogan. Since he had neglected to say thanks I figured I might as well p... him off and said “yeah, they wrote the book but I doubt you can read”. Got in the Power Wagon and drove off.
Rita’s brother had Jeeps. Started with a CJ2A and went from there.
My dad loved those old short Jeeps and often took one to the sprint car races to push race cars including the great Dick Ritchie. I have a number of good jeep stories.
Iowa Dave
That's funny! While stationed in Korea, our squadron had a jeep and a Dodge 4 door power wagon for transportation. One of our sgts loved to four wheel in the jeep (against regs) and would get stuck on occasion. After our CO warned him not to ever do it again, I woke up one night with him begging me to pull the jeep out of a hole he got stuck in. So power wagon to the rescue. That old Dodge pulled the jeep out of the hole and up a hill - that the jeep couldn't get out of by itself.

Needless to say, it scared the sgt so bad getting that close to being caught, I never had to pull him out again.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I’m waiting for Super Bowl. I hear the next generation Toyota Tundra will be revealed in a commercial during the game.

Ford Chevy and Jeep all left me at the side of the road, Toyota never missed a beat.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #26

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Jeeps are like the hot rod folks have in their garage. They are not good for much more than taking a spin around town and enjoying the particular experience.

Add 392 cubic inches and the Jeep experience becomes that much more special.

Plus, with all that power you’ll be at the campground before “Tow Ratings” become an issue.

Cool Stuff!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #27

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Jeeps are like the hot rod folks have in their garage. They are not good for much more than taking a spin around town and enjoying the particular experience.

Add 392 cubic inches and the Jeep experience becomes that much more special.

Plus, with all that power you’ll be at the campground before “Tow Ratings” become an issue.

Cool Stuff!
Forgot to mention. I had a CJ7 back in the day with a straight 6. That thing would climb out of the biggest mess I could stick it in.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote